Two B&W photos from Finningley BoB airshow in 1975

Mr T

Whilst sorting through a few old photos the other day I came across a couple of negatives taken on my dads old Zeiss Nettar camera that is older than I am. They were taken at the RAF Battle of Britain Display at Finningley (now DSA) I know now to be 1975 The photos are cropped off a 6 cm by 6 cm negative. Pretty sure it was an Ilford FP4 film (Roll film with eight exposures) and I developed it myself

50541350362_7e9cc8e10b_o_d.jpg

Lightning F.6 XS925 'J' of 11 Squadron RAF Binbrook

50540481743_7aa3510bc7_o_d.jpg

Jaguar GR1 coded '20' of 226 OCU Lossiemouth, I have the lost the bit of paper with the serial on (doh!). The Jaguar was the latest thing in 1974, which is why I probably photographed it. The Vulcan in the background is XM597 used in the Black Buck missions and currently preserved at the Scottish Museum of Flight at East Fortune.

I hope you like the bit of nostalgia. There should be some more negatives from the same display

Edited by Mr T
  • Like 13

I think that might be an artifact of what I did to the negative after I scanned it. I will look through my photos to see if I can find any more negatives. The angle the aircraft is at makes a difference as the Buccaneer is side on to the sun whereas the Jaguar is head on. Finningley was never easy for photographs as I remember. 

• Like 1

On 10/28/2020 at 5:47 PM, Mr T said:

Checked some of the other negatives and the envelopes say 1975

Edited by Mr T

• Mr T changed the title to Two B&W photos from Finningley BoB airshow in 1975

I think most of the static park aircraft got a wash. Unfortunately I did not photograph or haven't got the negatives of either of the Phantoms in the static park (RAF and USAF). I have photos of the Buccaneer, Victor, Bulldog, JP5, Argosy and a mid 70's Model shop exterior. 

• Like 1

On 10/28/2020 at 5:47 PM, Mr T said:

Jaguar GR1 coded '20' of 226 OCU Lossiemouth, I have the lost the bit of paper with the serial on (doh!). The Jaguar was the latest thing in 1974, which is why I probably photographed it.

Courtesy of Scramble.nl the Jaguar was XX748 20 and your Buccaneer may have been XV348, possibly operated by 16 Squadron 

19 minutes ago, Mr T said:

I think most of the static park aircraft got a wash. Unfortunately I did not photograph or haven't got the negatives of either of the Phantoms in the static park (RAF and USAF). I have photos of the Buccaneer, Victor, Bulldog, JP5, Argosy and a mid 70's Model shop exterior. 

Ahh - the good old days when there was a physical or financial limit on the number of photographs you could take.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for the Jaguar serial number. Yes the Buccaneer was XV348, it appears to be devoid of Squadron markings and very clean. I will try and get some more photos up soon. Going to have plenty of time for next four weeks after Thursday. 

Those of us 'of a certain age' have some great memories of the 70's airshows when things were less restricted (standing at the end of Valley's runway and getting blasted as the Phantoms' afterburners kicked in for a pairs take off), there were loads of different types of aircraft and, as noted, film was limited. Oh to be able to afford a 36 shot roll of Kodacolour!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A couple more photos from Finningley 1975 in glorious black and white (I had just finished uni and was short of money) Unfortunately a lot of the negatives are not as clear as I would like, The Nettar had no rangefinder and a very small viewfinder which was difficult to see through with my glasses on.

50590613736_ae7f1aeaaa_c_d.jpg

Jaguar GR1 XX748 '20' of 226 OCU Lossiemouth. The other side of the aircraft. Note it still has Light Aircraft Grey undersides.

50590736217_ac0ebf700c_c_d.jpg

Buccaneer S2B XV348. This aircraft has no squadron markings and Jetphotos has a colour photo of the aircraft that is virtually the same view. Sadly XV348 was a destroyed after striking power cables in Norway on 31st October 1977 whilst in the hands of 237 OCU. The pilot Lt Owen (RN) was killed, although the navigator, Ft Lt Lock was able to eject.

Finally, a photo of what a model shop looked like in 1975. The shop was GeeDee Models on Hockley in Nottingham, The shop later moved and closed down last year (?) after the owner at 89 decided to call it a day. This shop introduced me to some serious modelling stuff and when in Nottingham to see family I always tried to visit.

50590613971_5137ce30d8_k_d.jpg

• Like 3