Spitfire Mk.I

ruth

Very neat Spitfire! As 224 Peter commented, it looks almost new with precious little wear and tear – and I like that!

These various aerial and antennas are a tricky chapter. The gospel can be found here: http://spitfiresite.com/2010/04/spitfire-masts-and-aerials.html/2

It explains why a BoB era Spitfire would have either a wire type radio aerial but no IFF wires or (late autumn 1940) IFF wires but no radio wire aerial, since the upgrade to VHF radio did away with the wire and instead had a much shorter antenna integral to the antenna mast. In many cases the mast would retain the triangular prong for the wire, but unused.

Quote from the above mentioned website:

"When modelling a Battle of Britain era Spitfire Mk. I four combinations are possible:

Early rod mast, HF TR 9 radio with wire to the rudder.
    Tapered mast with triangular prong, TR 9 radio with wire from fuselage to mast and from mast to rudder.
    Tapered mast without triangular prong, VHF TR 1133 radio, no wire although the rudder post may still be fitted.
    Ditto 3; IFF fitted wires running from fuselage roundel to leading edge of tailplane tips. An insulator in the form off a small dot is visible just forward of upper part of the red centre spot.

Basically, a great Spitfire model with too many strings attached… ;-)!

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Like 1

Thank you all, specialy Spitfire31

I know the radio equipment, but not at all the arial configuration.

I build since 25 years Spitfires, now in my old days I learn such a substantial information.

Thank you a lot!

Happy modelling