Das Werk 1/35 Tiger ll

Andy J

So I've completed my first armour build and I'm happy with the results. The kit itself imo is great value for money with no real issues that i can think of. Big difference and quite a steep learning curve in comparison to the car kits i usually build but I thoroughly enjoyed the experience of working on something different. A big thank you to everyone who followed the wip for this build the encouragement and support I've received being a newbie to armour has been unbelievable and I tip my hat to all of you. I struggled with getting to grips with the weathering side of things but hopefully this will improve in the future. Here's a few pic's of the finished build 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thanks for looking all comments appreciated 🙂

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

Well i think despite your claims of not knowing what you were doing ...........................................................that you lied..................................................clearly you have got enough knowledge base to be producing something that exceeds most modellers skill level and to do it with your first attempt.

Really very well done ...a clean build a top notch layer of sticky coloured stuff and some subtle weathering to boot. :goodjob:

And nice photography..........bloomin show off

Edited by M3talpig
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, M3talpig said:

Well i think despite your claims of not knowing what you were doing ...........................................................that you lied..................................................clearly you have got enough knowledge base to be producing something that exceeds most modellers skill level and to do it with your first attempt.

Really very well done ...a clean build a top notch layer of sticky coloured stuff and some subtle weathering to boot. :goodjob:

And nice photography..........bloomin show off

Jeez I get the feeling you hate me now 😂👍. Thanks Steve that's a huge compliment coming from someone who produces the standard of work that you do. This is the first time I've built armour mate and as much as I appreciate your comments i know I can produce better in the future. Thanks again for your help along the way much appreciated 👍 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Hairtrigger said:

Cracking result....  Pics in b&w work a treat.

Thank you, I found the black and white button on my photo editor and I think they work ok 🙂

Got to agree with others - for your first armour build that is really impressive!! Looks like you have been building them for years. Looking forward to to seeing your next AFV project. 

Kind regards, 

Stix

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, PlaStix said:

Got to agree with others - for your first armour build that is really impressive!! Looks like you have been building them for years. Looking forward to to seeing your next AFV project. 

Kind regards, 

Stix

Thanks Stix I appreciate your comment. My next project will be Tamiyas Marder lll. No real reason for this choice other than i fancy a crack at the tri colored camo scheme 🙂👍

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ernst said:

Lovely model, the zimmerit looks awesome. Cool choice to go for the dark yellow/ brown combo. Great work, love it,

Cheers,

Ernst.

Thanks Ernst, the zimmerit is molded into the kit itself i simply had to paint it. As for the colour choice well that was one of the options shown in the painting instructions for the kit, but I agree it's a nice scheme 🙂

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Andy J said:

My next project will be Tamiyas Marder lll. No real reason for this choice other than i fancy a crack at the tri colored camo scheme

Sounds like a good reason to me!

• Like 1

Just now, PlaStix said:

Sounds like a good reason to me!

At the moment I'm buying AFV kits purely because I like the box art 🙂. Whether or not that's a good idea I'm not sure but I figure if I like the look of a kit I'll probably enjoy the build 🤔

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Andy J said:

I'm buying AFV kits purely because I like the box art

I can tell you right now there is not a modeller alive who hasn't at some point bought a Tamiya kit just because the box art was da bomb.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, M3talpig said:

I can tell you right now there is not a modeller alive who hasn't at some point bought a Tamiya kit just because the box art was da bomb.

Phew that's a relief I thought i was puddled for a minute 🙄

5 minutes ago, Dads203 said:

Lovely work Andy, not a lot more I can add that hasn’t already been said fella :thumbsup:

Thanks Dan much appreciated 👍.Considering all the whining I did during the wip regarding the weathering process im extremely happy with the end result. I've also learnt that if I don't like a particular effect it's quite easy to hide it 😉👍

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Andy J said:

I thought i was puddled for a minute

Only a minute....?! 😝

That's a cracking big cat Andy, really good looking model, excellent stuff!

And no 2K in sight anywhere....!! :)

Looking forward to the Marder!

K

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Only a minute....?! 😝

That's a cracking big cat Andy, really good looking model, excellent stuff!

And no 2K in sight anywhere....!! :)

Looking forward to the Marder!

K

Thanks Keith, one thing I haven't missed from the car builds is the toxic products I was using. Should hopefully start the Marder tomorrow already looking forward to it and my fiendish plan 😉👍

So your first AFV is finished and what a great job you've done. Very good build, perfect paintjob and I think the weathering you've done really suits the vehicle...it looks just right both in terms of techniques used and the amount. Hopefully you'll come to see weathering as an art form that will keep you interested in building AFVs....it would become a bit boring if it was all too easy! Looking forward to your next build 👍

• Like 1

1 minute ago, StuartH said:

So your first AFV is finished and what a great job you've done. Very good build, perfect paintjob and I think the weathering you've done really suits the vehicle...it looks just right both in terms of techniques used and the amount. Hopefully you'll come to see weathering as an art form that will keep you interested in building AFVs....it would become a bit boring if it was all too easy! Looking forward to your next build 👍

Thanks Stuart, funnily enough towards the end of the build when I was fettling and tweaking one or two areas i actually began to enjoy the weathering side of armour builds. Your point regarding it being boring if it was easy is absolutely right that's the reason I switched to armour in the first place. I was averaging one completed car build every 10-14 days because to me it was easy, no need to think about what I was doing just open the box build the car and move on to the next one. I'm glad I chose armour and im looking forward to many more armour builds, infact i plan to start the next one tomorrow 🙂👍

I like that. The mud effects are great. Too often models feature lots of chips, rust and worn metal, but very little actual dirt and mud. Yours looks like it's really been churning up the ground..

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, IanC said:

I like that. The mud effects are great. Too often models feature lots of chips, rust and worn metal, but very little actual dirt and mud which the real things would often be plastered in.

Thanks Ian, no secret to the mud effects i simply flicked it off my brush with a cocktail stick like I'd seen done on a YouTube video. At one point the top of the turret had more chips than McDonald's but as was mercilessly pointed out to me it looked awful, so I removed them. I didn't add a lot of the effects you mention simply because I don't have the experience required to apply them correctly. However in this case it would seem less is more if you see what I mean 🙂👍

11 minutes ago, ijs302 said:

Very nice as everyone has said great paint and weathering , i wish my first armour kit looked that good can't wait to see the next one

regards ian

Thanks Ian I appreciate your comment. I hope to start the next one tomorrow and will start a wip thread once I've made some progress 🙂👍

7 minutes ago, Nenad Ilijic said:

Great work! For your first AFV this is really superb. Especially the paintwork. Looking forward to see more.

Best,

Nenad

Thanks Nenad I appreciate your comment 👍