Heinkel He 162A-2 1/72 Special Hobby

Hi fellow modellers,

this is the Special Hobby kit released few months ago. Built out of the box with etched seat belts instead of decals provided in the box and scratchbuilt Pitot of Albion Alloys tubing.

Quality of the plastic in terms of details is one of the best I saw so far from them and it also builds really nicely.

Painted with Gunze Aqueos and I could'not avoid a shot with a paint can to compare the size.

The combat operation of this bird was really very short, but she was flown with 1./JG 1 and Rudolf Schmitt at the controls claimed a Tempest on early May 1945.

Cheers

Libor

50541208752_aa5945ae47_o.jpg

50541208722_5fbfb272b6_o.jpg

50540340228_9d764ca417_o.jpg

50540340163_c2de210675_o.jpg

50541066451_4ba9ab4b3d_o.jpg

50540340338_874457fe5e_o.jpg

50541066366_5dbd9508d4_o.jpg

• Like 58

20 hours ago, Redboost said:

The combat operation of this bird was really very short, but she was flown with 1./JG 1 and Rudolf Schmitt at the controls claimed a Tempest on early May 1945.

Another super nice build, Libor.

I didn't know that there were any official victories with the He-162!

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Roman Schilhart said:

I think it's disputed. I seem to remember reading somewhere that it could have been a Typhoon shot down by the airfield flak? 

Nice model. Another one on the shopping list.

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Roman Schilhart said:

I'm really not sure whether this was an official victory or only a claim, but this information can be found across many references. Funny thing the instructions mention a Typhoon in Czech version, whilst in the English one there is stated Tempest. In any case, May 1945, who would care? 🙂

Cheers

Libor

12 minutes ago, Redboost said:

I'm really not sure whether this was an official victory or only a claim, but this information can be found across many references. Funny thing the instructions mention a Typhoon in Czech version, whilst in the English one there is stated Tempest. In any case, May 1945, who would care? 🙂

Cheers

Libor

Well quite. I've been looking online and it seems there were a few claims but none that can be corroborated by RAF records. We'll probably never know.

But I'd have thought that just getting back alive after flying that thing would have been reason enough to celebrate!

• Like 1

There was one accepted kill, claimed as a Typhoon but the action involved Tempests and one was lost.  I believe the German pilot was called Schmidt, but please don't take that as gospel.  The action has been discussed by Chris Thomas, and may feature in his series of 2TAF books.

• Thanks 1