1/72nd Kovozády Prostějov (Heller) Junkers Ju52/3m

Junkers Ju52/3m, 3U+MT, 9./ZG 26, France, 1940.

50536586202_ea072540f0_3k.jpg

The Junkers Ju52 was the main Luftwaffe transport aircraft of the Second World War. In total, between 1931 and 1952, 4,845 planes were built. Most we built by Junkers themselves, but the type was also licence-built in Spain and France. Until fairly recently, "Tante Ju"s (Aunt Ju), or "Iron Annies", were still giving pleasure flights. Sadly, due to the discovery of corrosion in a crashed aircraft in Switzerland in 2018, the remaining aircraft have been grounded.

Eric "Winkle" Brown flew a captured Ju52 at the end of the Second World War. In an article written for AIR International magazine he described starting up the three-motored aircraft as akin to playing a Wurlitzer organ. He also explained the rather interesting braking system when manoeuvring the aircraft on the ground: 

I always got a kick from taxying the Ju52/3m because of its unique braking system. To operate the left brake the port throttle had to be pulled fully back and, similarly, the starboard throttle for the right brake. Application of both brakes demanded that only the centre throttle lever be pulled fully back. It goes without saying that this Heath Robinsonish system took some getting used to - on first acquaintance one tended to pirouette around the perimeter track like an aged ballerina.

50536433171_e39180e65e_3k.jpg

The Ju52 was originally conceived as a single-engined 17-seater airliner or cargo plane, but it was soon decided three motors would be safer overall. This led to the 3m moniker - 3 motoren - and a rather Byzantine sequence of further letters were tacked on to denote which particular variant of the type you may be looking at. Probably the most numerous variant was the Ju52/3mg8e, with improved direction-finding and radio installations and strengthened undercarriage. The type was used as a bomber, paratroop transport, VIP transport, general dogsbody, and became much loved by those who flew them, and flew in them. They weren't quick, but they were very reliable, and had a short take-off and landing characteristic and capable of operating from very poor surface conditions. If you want the complete low-down on Auntie, head to Wikipedia. 

The subject of the model was assigned to Zerstörergeschwader 26 "Horst Wessel" in late 1939. We often forget that the pace of Blitzkrieg and the Battle of France meant keeping maintenance and non-flying personnel, and all the equipment required to keep a Messerschmitt Bf110 squadron in the air, needed a reasonably fast method of transport. The Ju52 was ideal for this purpose.

50536586592_5c9dcdb55e_3k.jpg

50536433436_f51bb8e9cd_3k.jpg

50536586847_448506fede_3k.jpg

This model is built pretty much straight from the box as part of the Heller Classic Group Build, with the only additions being masking tape seatbelts in the cockpit and a spare PE gunsight for the upper machine gun. I made a replacement pitot tube from brass wire as the plastic one wouldn't have lasted ten seconds in my world. The Heller moulds were created in 1979, and you can still buy a new boxed kit from the newly-revitalised original manufacturer today.

A while ago, seeking an Iron Annie for my 1940 collection, I asked on this very forum as to which kit of the type was considered the best. Italeri, Revell and the venerable Airfix kit were all mentioned, but Heller was deemed to be more accurate kit overall. At the time, I couldn't find a Heller box anywhere sensible, but the KP boxing appeared, proudly announcing it contained "Heller Plastic". It also had suitable transfers for my interests, so I duly acquired one. The Heller kit includes parts to make the French licence-built Ju52 variant, the Avions Amiot 1 Toucan, and for its age is a remarkably fine mould. The raised panel lines are very fine, and easy to ignore among the classic Tante Ju corrugations.

For more information on the box contents and how it went together see the WIP thread linked later. I bought in a masking set from Montex for the transparencies (which didn't fit the Heller kit as they were intended for the Italeri one) and had the national and unit markings. Sadly, no instructions on how to deploy the masks meant I ended up only using the snake masks - and even that was a bit hit and miss. The model was airbrushed with ColourCoats enamels, and Humbrol enamels and acrylics for detail painting.

Build thread here:

• Like 33

Good job on that old kit, Heather.

Isn't it interesting that no manufacturer has released a new-mould Ju 52 since the Italeri kit came out - more than 40 years ago?!

The color contrast on the top surfaces is a bit too low, in my opinion, but that may be due to the photographs.

Greetings from Vienna,

Roman

4 minutes ago, Roman Schilhart said:

The color contrast on the top surfaces is a bit too low, in my opinion, but that may be due to the photographs.

Thanks Roman! I’m someone that accepts what comes in the tin as regards colour accuracy. At the risk of opening that can of worms again, I’ve been advised in the past the contrast between RLM70 and 71 - at least when newly applied - was very low. I find models finished with light or brighter greens somewhat out of place. Then again, each to their own, and as long as we’re all happy that’s fine! :like:

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

I agree that the color contrast is low

Again, I don’t want to get into any kind of argument over this, because I’m not an expert. However, I will say I have pots of RLM 70 and 71 from three different manufacturers (Humbrol (I know, but bear with me), Hannants Xtracrylix, ColourCoats) and all three are within a gnat's crotchet of each other. I wasn’t there in 1940, so I can’t say what the actual shades were, but if three manufacturers all agree more or less I’m not going to argue. I’m happy with what I see, and if others are happy with the colours they use I’m happy with that as well.

:wink:

• Like 4

Nice result, I never build the Heller Ju-52, only Italeri, but I also heard that the most accurate kit is Heller, now reboxed by KP. Very interesting scheme, interesting that snake is painted, not applied as decal.  I have found it :

2bcb9ce0fcc493ccc7e18468a9346276.jpg

A bit bizzare to avoid decals, but in case of corrugated surface it could be a good option. With Micro sol/Micro set the decals became soft enough to follow the wavy surface.

Regards

J-W

• Like 1

The difference between the the colors actually was minor to the point that they are hardly distinguishable even in good color photos.
So it does look correct to my eyes.

Very very nice build anyways !!!!!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Heather Kay said:

Again, I don’t want to get into any kind of argument over this, because I’m not an expert. However, I will say I have pots of RLM 70 and 71 from three different manufacturers (Humbrol (I know, but bear with me), Hannants Xtracrylix, ColourCoats) and all three are within a gnat's crotchet of each other. I wasn’t there in 1940, so I can’t say what the actual shades were, but if three manufacturers all agree more or less I’m not going to argue. I’m happy with what I see, and if others are happy with the colours they use I’m happy with that as well.

:wink:

I’m with you n this one Heather: there was an Ian Huntley column in a very early SAM (the “newsprint“ year(s)) in which it was stated that examInation by the RAE and RAF showed a very low contrast between the two greens sufferers client that some observers considered that the camouflage was in one colour and not two.

I too remember the Eric Brown article on the Ju52; it was repeated in “Wings of the Luftwaffe”, along with those for several other noteworthy and/or notorious types.  It was one of those articles that sparked my continuing interest is the Fw190.

I love what you’ve done with that old kit, you know you want to do another one in “Where Eagles Dare” colours, don’t you? 

Edited by stever219
Punctuation
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, JWM said:

interesting that snake is painted, not applied as decal.

I could have used the KP transfers for the snake, but they wouldn’t have matched the colours I’ve used. They wouldn’t even have matched the Humbrol colours KP suggest!

7 hours ago, stever219 said:

it was repeated in “Wings of the Luftwaffe”

That’s where I got the quote from. It’s a great resource of technical and personal views, with some useful illustrations. 

As to the "Where Eagles Dare" Auntie, I think I’ll pass. Out of my period. ;) 

• Like 1

Great looking Auntie Ju! You've done her justice.

Like you I have been looking for the Heller kit for ages, good to know the KP kit is the Heller moulding 🙂

Peter