Revell 1:72 HMS Snowberry to be built as K46 HMS La Malouine.

@Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies Thanks a bunch for the info. The sheet as shown would be ideal as I already have paint to spray them on. 

@Modelholic, no idea why there is a 37 on the funnel, but thats whats shown in photos of her I have. Anyone else know the reason why the 37 on the funnel?

That's interesting Jon. So your wife's aunts brother was in command of La Malouine during the 1942 PQ-17 convoy, which is when I am modelling my build. This is because my window cleaners grandfather, named Harry John Evans served on her during PQ-17.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Starspell said:

That's interesting Jon. So your wife's aunts brother was in command of La Malouine during the 1942 PQ-17 convoy, which is when I am modelling my build. This is because my window cleaners grandfather, named Harry John Evans served on her during PQ-17.

Steve.

Sorry to mislead. No he wasn’t.  I was searching for his ship, HMS Hermione. Dido class light cruiser.  It was sunk in the Med, by uboat. He was a radio operator and unfortunately did not survive. But I put in your ships name and found this entry. 
Jon

Almost there now. Spent today on and off doing the rigging............first time doing that for me, boy, fiddly or what! Don't know how the guys go the older ships with so much rigging!!!!  A small amount of artistic license has been used, difficult to work it out from the photos I have so it is my best guess plus some of the instructions for Snowberry. It's not 100% accurate but good enough for me and gives it the right impression (in my opinion!)

The only other thing are the ships numbers, thankfully @Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies is helping me out on those so shouldn't be too much longer.

46.jpg

47.jpg

48.jpg

49.jpg

50.jpg

51.jpg

52.jpg

53.jpg

These are the remaining bits to go on, the wooden lifeboats and their hoists, some DC's and the figures (though not sure if I'll use them or not yet).
54.jpg

55.jpg

56.jpg

Edited by Starspell
Typo correction
  • Like 6

On the rigging - 

Standing rigging, that is the rigging which supports the mast and funnel should be black.

Running rigging, that is the rigging which supports and control the yardarm and boat davits is brown.

Signal halyards(those from the yardarm to the rear of the bridge are white.

The 3 lines from the yardarm to the small mast on the pom pom tub are radio aeriels, which I think are black.

• Like 1

@Niall I made the rigging brown based on the below photo I have of her. To my eye, only the rope the guys are pulling on looks like it's black, the rigging looks very pale in comparison.

FREE-FRENCH-CORVETTE-LA-MALOUINE-1942-A-

Well, here she is, just the pennant numbers to put on when the masks arrive. Made a 'posher' base for her to sit on, much better than the supplied plastic one and better than the old one I cobbled together from scrap stuff that I have been using for building her. Lighting in the shed ain't so great, will try a few more in proper daylight tomorrow. Still undecided on whether to make some of the rigging black as per Nialls info a little earlier, anyone got an opinion on that?

Anyways, here she is after a few months of work. She was definitely a challenge, but I am immensely proud of my first ever ship build. I've grown rather fond of her and will be a bit of a wrench to hand her over to my window-cleaner...........maybe I'll have to go get myself another maritime build!!!  Have had half an eye on a sub but I think it is huge at 1.3mt!!! (Revell 05168 US Navy Gato Class Submarine (Platinum Edition) 1:72 Plastic Kit).

57.jpg

58.jpg

59.jpg

60.jpg

61.jpg

62.jpg

63.jpg

64.jpg

65.jpg

66.jpg

67.jpg

68.jpg

69.jpg

70.jpg

Between taking the above and below photos I scratched a couple oars for the lifeboats, 'cos the missus commented on how would they row!!

71.jpg

72.jpg

Peek-a-boo!
73.jpg

74.jpg

75.jpg

76.jpg

77.jpg

78.jpg

79.jpg

80.jpg

81.jpg

• Like 11

Steve. Now that is a stunning build, very well done. Hard to believe that, a few months ago it had been gathering spiders in a box, in my garage for 16 years.

Jon.

Thanks for your kind words gentlemen. Got the pennant masks from Jamie today so now she has her numbers (sorry, no photos yet) so now she is 100% done. :)👍 There are a couple of little things I could continue to 'play' with.....but I'm not, she is what she is and I am extremely proud and happy with her. Phone call to the window cleaner tomorrow to let him know it's done and he can come get it when lock-down restrictions allow.

It's not going to be my problem....but................she is going to be a dust magnet! No way to easily clean her, maybe just a gentle air-duster. Did look at custom display cases but they are sooooooooo expensive, got a quote for 250 quid give or take a couple of quid!!!  Will let the cleaner know and he can do as he pleases.

Anyone know of or use a 'cheap option' for a display case.........or know of someone who can do them much cheaper??

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Faraway said:

You’ll be feeling a bit lost now.

Certainly will! Will be sad to see her go........but I don't have room to display her.

I see you have been busy whilst waiting for bits for your one.......nice one!

I'm moving on to my Xmas present from the missus, a 1:32 Revell/Techniks Spitfire Mk.XIc, comes with a motor for the prop and LED nav lights.........and sound! A little light entertainment after the intensity of La Malouine.

Edited by Starspell
  • Like 1

I'm not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing, but those masks appear to have gone better than I dared hope. It takes a competent modeller to do anything good regardless the tools though and I think you've done a great job with those name plates, given the way my somewhat blunt knife hacked them up.

This has turned out very nicely, and you should rightly be totally chuffed with that :)

• Like 1

@Faraway OMG....at that price this will be strictly OOTB..........at 159 quid I think it is grossly over-priced. If I had of know the missus was buying it then I would have stopped her and got her to buy something different!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...