Revell 1:72 HMS Snowberry to be built as K46 HMS La Malouine.

@TomasBudweis, thanks Thomas, I just had a look, nice work!  I'm building mine as La Malouine so there are some small differences. I will still check up on how you are doing as some things you do may be transferable to my build.

Well, it's been an interesting week. Spent the first couple of days just working out what had been done prior to the kit coming into my hands........took a while but finally figured out where I was!  Next was getting some white primer down over most of it..........as you will see, a can of Tamiya white primer didn't finish the job (now waiting on more to be delivered as my local model shop is closed due to Covid so have had to go online. Had to go white because the Colourcoats paints I got just didn't/doesn't cover up the original paint scheme.

Yesterday saw a coat of white go over the hull and today saw the light blue over the top of that...........the weekend will see the black go below the waterline.

01.jpg
02.jpg
03.jpg
04.jpg
05.jpg

Dammed if the masking tape didn't pull up some of the paint (right back to bare plastic.......so top coat enamel, primer and original enamel all came up!)  Will have to touch that up!
06.jpg

Also started on some of the superstructure/topside stuff..........I guess that is what it's called, please correct me if I'm wrong! (Still very naïve with all this nautical terminology 😊)
07.jpg

More to come as and when it happens.................stay safe!

Edited by Starspell
  • Like 6

A quick question to you all.

I'm guessing that the finish on ship ship should be a matt finish? Or satin finish? I've seen a few ships as I live close to Portsmouth so I know they are not shiny! 

Question to the hive mind regarding what you would expect the deck colour to be?

As Jamie said earlier  "As for the main decks, I've seen little evidence to be honest of people getting too excited about Line 7 (To achieve this, the following should be painted white to eliminate shadow.....7) Any horizontal surfaces that may throw light up into dense shadows). They wouldn't have been painted darker, but equally I don't recall many (any?) examples of decks painted white."

So if not white nor dark grey.........would a light grey (eg XF19 Sky Grey) or mid grey (eg XF20 Medium grey) be more appropriate/correct?

Hi Steve

Moot point - you won't go far wrong in using "Dark Grey non-slip deck paint" Narn 23 from Jamie. The extreme (anchor) foredeck was most often planked wood.  Semtex or corticene ran down the walkways as additional non slip.  Corticene was Brown coloured linoleum used mainly early war replaced by a painted on Semtex - apparently a latex type compund that came in at least 3 different varieties the colour of which remain an ongoing area of enigmatic uncertainty.  One colour was posssibly grey tarmac - another might have been almost duck egg green and on my 1/144 corvette I used a medium green that others have claimed was current.  Take your pick;  others contest that this semtex itself was often painted over using the deck grey mentioned above.  

You can see the deck grey colour on the focs'le of my County Class builds. 

I have certainly not seen any corvettes with obvious light grey decks but there were a lot of them and variation was enormous.

HTH

Rob

@robgizlu Thanks, but seems Jamie is all out of Narn 23 :(  so I think I'll just 'wing it' and go for the nearest in Tamiya of which I have loads 😉

the foredeck is still 'wood' color, ran out of primer before I got to that bit!

In the pics I have found of La Malouine, none show the decks so unless I can find a pic (and I've been looking for ages) then I guess I'll go with consensus!

• Like 1

After a few more hours 'tinkering' this is where I stand. This 'ship-building lark' sure is fiddly and time consuming!

The hull has been painted and sealed with a gloss coat to keep it safe.

08.jpg
09.jpg
10.jpg

Decks have been (for better or worse) sprayed in Tamiya XF80, British Navy Grey and the walkways in XF63, German Grey. Probably not factually correct as Snowberry had wooden decks (according to paint instructions).....so maybe La Malouine did as well. Cannot find any pics to confirm this, but to my eye, didn't like the very dark grey Narn23 previously suggested. I can't get my head round the fact that your trying for a light scheme  (As per Western Approaches scheme: "the aim is to achieve a light general tone so "countershading is advisable") and having a dark grey deck that surely would show with the pitch and roll of a ship...........so went with a lighter grey.
11.jpg
12.jpg

14.jpg

Anything 'sticking up' from the deck will remain white...........as you will see in below pics
15.jpg
16.jpg

And this is where I'm at with the 'deck furniture'. Slowely coming along with just an hour or two a day to mess with it. Hopefully get quite a few more hours tomorrow 🤞
17.jpg
18.jpg

• Like 7

After more thought..... and trolling t'internet for ages I think I'm gonna darken the decking to be more in line with the below images and to be closer to NARN23. Given that I have full stock in Tamiya colors I think I'm going to plump for XF24 Dark Grey as it seems the closest to NARN23. Going to just spray/paint it all XF24, decks/walkways.....the lot and just leave the compass deck (that's the top bit right?) and the bit at the front (focsle?) as the woody brown as they were supposedly wooden decking. 

blue.jpg
Snowberry-07.jpg

Edited by Starspell
  • Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

It's been a while since my last post, lost a bit of enthusiasm and 'normal' life stuff got in the way. Things weren't helped by the fact that the Klear Kote Flat I ordered showed up and turned out to be 'mislabeled' and was in fact gloss. Luckily, a quick email to Alclad along with a couple of photos had them sending me FOC replacement Flats which, due to the Xmas post, took over a week to get here (good old first class post eh!).

Tinkered around a bit whilst waiting for it, got all the hull weathered (and now sealed under flat coat), most of the 'deck furniture' is mostly assembled and painted. Needs weathering and 'flatting' still. None of it is glued down yet, still a bunch of separate assemblies, has lust been placed for the photos.

The rear aft area is still bare............that's coming up soon. As you will see, also darkened the deck/walkway colours and now (to my eye) looks better.

Comments and critique always welcome.

19.jpg
20.jpg
21.jpg
22.jpg
23.jpg
24.jpg
25.jpg
26.jpg
27.jpg
28.jpg
29.jpg

• Like 7

Steve.

Welcome back, I know what you mean about loosing enthusiasm. It’s best not to build if your hearts not in it. Progress so far is looking good.

I hope you have a good Christmas.

Jon

Steve.

Welcome back, I know what you mean about loosing enthusiasm. It’s best not to build if your hearts not in it. Progress so far is looking good.

I hope you have a good Christmas.

Jon

• Like 1

So, little update. Missus at work, she's a nurse, so got the house to myself today. The 'honey-do' list is done so rest of the day is mine to play!

Noticed the other day that the sides of the bridge walkway as supplied are different for La Malouine (LM). The supplied Snowberry ones have 3 panels but the LM one has 4. Ordered some sheet from internet which arrived yesterday, so this morning have started modifying the originals as shown below............and have only just now noticed that the 'panels' are not equi-sized, looks like 3rd from left is slightly larger.....doh! Maybe I'll change it.....or maybe not!

Oh well, quick lunch then back out to the shed to make the most of my afternoon :)

POVQ1029.jpg

Edited by Starspell
Typo error
  • Like 4

That's better :) Not 'perfect' but I feel a reasonable attempt at my first ever bit of scratch building.

LLCK3487.jpg

Not a bad days modelling today, got a good 4/5 hours in before I had to stop and cook tea for the missus. Just popped out for half an hour to spray them and a few other bits up ie a few more cupboards, ordinance boxes and the depth charge racks. Should be able to get a few more hours tomorrow as well so should get close to getting all the deck furniture/wheelhouse etc on.

• Like 6

A question for you all. According to kit instructions it looks like there should have been a small sheet of flags/pennants. Don't suppose anyone has one in their kit that they could scan and send to me??

• 2 weeks later...

So, 2020 is almost at an end so thought I would quickly post to show where I'm at at the end of the year.

Nothing on the top side is fixed in place yet (except the 4 pounder (4"?) and a few of the cabinets), it's all just placed/posed.............but it's pretty much all built etc and ready to place. Thinking of fixing all this in place before fitting the railings round the edges.........I find I'm pretty clumsy and prone to knocking stuff off..........what order do you guys do it in?

Anyways, here she sits just now...........hope you enjoy.......and comments welcome before I fix it all in place!

30.jpg
31.jpg
32.jpg
33.jpg
34.jpg
35.jpg
36.jpg
37.jpg
38.jpg
39.jpg
40.jpg

• Like 4

Gidday Starspell (Steve - do you have a preference?), She's coming along very well. The gun on the foc'sle bandstand would probably be a 4-inch gun.

I'm tempted to try to scratch-build one of these one day, in 1/600 scale, to show just how small these valiant vessels were, compared to other warships of the era. I probably wouldn't get the detail in the model that you've got, though. 🙂 Keep up the good work. Regards, Jeff.