One of a Kind!

The idea of this GB suggestion is to produce a “one of a kind” model of something that nobody else has ever seen before.

A few ideas:

It could be a well known model but with unusual markings, such as an airliner painted in a livery it never wore.
It could be a prototype you have scratch built or 3D printed.

It could simply be a diorama - by definition, they tend to be pretty unique!

Anything that meets the general criteria of “Oh, I’ve never seen that before!” would be acceptable in this GB.

Let your what-iffery go wild!

Anybody interested?

Edited by Back in the Saddle
Renamed the thread
  • Like 3

Me too! Great idea. I’m not really into what-ifs (but love seeing other people’s) but have plenty of ideas for aircraft or colour schemes that haven’t been seen on BM before. I’m thinking of some obscure airlines, unique flight test schemes, engine test beds and so on. There would be some custom decals and maybe 3D printing involved.

32 minutes ago, Hockeyboy76 said:

Sounds like a good idea. I’m in and so is Little H. 

Does that count as two expressions of interest?! 😂

I think at this stage it would be unreasonable to expect participants to confirm what they would build. I’m veering towards an airliner in a livery it never wore, but reserve the right to change my mind!

This is where we currently stand:

1) Back in the Saddle (hosting) - possibly an airliner

2) Corsaurfoxfouruncle - maybe sci-fi
3) zebra - custom decals and possible 3D printing

4) Abandoned Project - hopefully participating with an airliner
5) Hockeyboy76

6) Little H

I’d be in for a WHIFer.  I know I’ve got a few “what could’ve been” ideas.

RAAF F-104 or Viggen.  West German or Canadian F-14.  Lots of options.

@trickyrich might be interested in this as well.  He’s always got some random RAAF WHIF on the back of his mind.  :devil:

• Like 1

haha.....

around half my stash would fit this GB.....so count me in! :thumbsup:

Have a 1/32nd Hawker Typhoon I want to do in desert camo, was one of 3 tested buy the RAAF in Africa, or could done another RAAF P-38, again we only had 3 special Recon birds (did A55-3) using that new 1/48th Tamiya model. Bound to come up with something different for this build.

• Like 1

Not sure of the scope here - pure WiF-ery, or something not modelled in that form before ...

OK, I'm in, I have a couple of ideas in mind, maybe a diorama, maybe human, maybe a P51 (no more than two out of those three)

Where's my magnifier?  The fine print here is really small

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Robert Stuart said:

Not sure of the scope here - pure WiF-ery, or something not modelled in that form before ...

WiF-ery is certainly encouraged but is by no means mandatory. The sole criteria is to produce a unique model, something that has NEVER been seen before. As such, this will hopefully give every entry a bit of a ‘wow’ factor, just by being something so unusual!

Scratch building a model of something not commercially available could also be eligible for this GB. In this case, it might not need to be a ‘what if’ - it could simply be something relatively well known that has just never been modelled before.

10 people interested so far! 

I think the what-if things are too broad - maybe it will gather more participants but the original idea was I think to dig out and bring together some real one of the kind models . 

J-W

8 hours ago, JWM said:

the original idea was I think to dig out and bring together some real one of the kind models 

That sums it up pretty well! It certainly doesn’t exclude any form of what-iffery, but ideally the end result should be, as you pointed out, a real “one of a kind” model.

If I can give an example - Concorde in an RAF livery. It would obviously be a what-if, but would it be unique? Probably not, as several other modellers have already done this. That would be my litmus test for this build - it has to be something that has not been done before. Concorde in a livery never seen before would therefore be acceptable.

2 minutes ago, JWM said:

Maybe Aeroflot? :)

Regards

J-W

That's a good choice! 🤣 I randomly tried Iberia and Are Lingus versions of Concorde, and they both exist in model form... Getting something truly unique might be a challenge,  but hopefully that is part of the attraction of this GB!

• Like 1

I've renamed this thread, to hopefully give a clearer indication of the aim of this GB.👍

Expressions of interest so far from the following modellers:

I've removed the potential subjects too, as minds might change!

1) Back in the Saddle (hosting)

2) Corsaurfoxfouruncle
3) zebra

4) Abandoned Project
5) Hockeyboy76

6) Little H

7) helios16v

😎 trickyrich

9) Robert Stuart

10) Mig Eater

11) Tim R-T-C

12) JWM

Gidday Matt, ships in 1/600 scale are my thing, although they're usually rather basic. I've done a few whif ships in the past and got some more in mind so I can probably join the party. I guess we're talking 2022 onwards here? Regards, Jeff.

I think we can safely say this one will be aiming for next year's bunfight, not this year's! 😁 At least that gives everybody plenty of time to think of something truly unique!

Expressions of interest so far from:

1. Back in the Saddle (hosting)

2. Corsaurfoxfouruncle
3. zebra

4. Abandoned Project
5. Hockeyboy76

6. Little H

7. helios16v

8. trickyrich

9. Robert Stuart

10. Mig Eater

11. Tim R-T-C