The Dornier Do 17 family STGB chat

vppelt68

When: 22/4 - 22/7/2022

To quote Jerzy-Wojtek @JWM from the He 111 STGB Chat (why should I try to rewrite something already so well written if I can quote it?!):

"...if you consider all variants of Do 17 - starting from E & F (Spain, early Blitzkrieg), P &M (Blitzkrieg, Balkans, Eastern Front), K (Yugoslavia 1941, Croatia,  Yu Partisan, Bulgaria, Italian ex-Yu and even ex Yu as RAF on exile in Egipt) then Z (Blitzkrieg incl BOB, Balkans, Africa, eastern Front, Finland), 215 (German fighter and bomber as well as Hungary recce) - there is perhaps enough types and schemes for a STGB."

So, let´s give it a shot, don´t we? I built an ICM 1:72 Do 17 Z in the Nordic GB earlier this year and I liked that build very much. V-P

1. vppelt68 (host)
  2. Corsairfoxfouruncle
  3. JWM
  4. Rabbit Leader
  5. Greg Law
  6. Mottlemaster
  7. klr
  8. modelling minion
  9. Fatcawthorne
  10. Arniec
  11. stevehnz
  12. SoftScience
  13. CliffB
  14. DaveyGair
  15. Potato Pete
  16. feoffee2
  17. Adam Poultney
  18. Andwil
  19. fightersweep
  20. Walter
  21. Jabba
  22. Dansk
  23. Toryu
  24. TonyOD
  25. wayne 0
  26. Tim R-T-C
  27. LorenSharp
  28. JohnT
  29. 81-er
  30. jean
  31. JOCKNEY
  32. Richard Tucker
  33. Shorty84
  34. MigEater
  35. ...

• Like 4

I've got a few of these in the kit cupboard and will call on @Greg Law who I know has a personal love affection for this family of aircraft! 

Cheers.. Dave  (who might finally pull out that 1/48 Do 217E-4/5 in the stash). 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

I've got a few of these in the kit cupboard and will call on @Greg Law who I know has a personal love affection for this family of aircraft! 

Cheers.. Dave  (who might finally pull out that 1/48 Do 217E-4/5 in the stash). 

Excellent! When are you going to build the model of a Ju 88 that pounded your Maltese grandparents? Just asking as I don´t see your name on the Ju 88 list - yet :winkgrin: V-P

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, vppelt68 said:

Excellent! When are you going to build the model of a Ju 88 that pounded your Maltese grandparents? Just asking as I don’t see your name on the Ju 88 list - yet :winkgrin: V-P

My lord you have a good memory V.P. I didn’t know we had a Ju 88 STGB list, so I’d better jump onto that one too I suppose! 
Cheers.. Dave 

• Haha 1

Just now, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I want to do a Do.17Z from North Africa is that correct 

Well of course it is! Zerstörergeschwader 26, more precisely the 10. Staffel,

http://www.ww2.dk/air/zerstorer/zg26.htm

had several on its strength in Libya 1941-42.

http://www.ww2.dk/oob/bestand/zerst/b10zg26.html

For a set of proper decals, Xtradecal serves game, set and match

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/X72206

• Thanks 1

Guess who would be interested in this GB. I have two Do 217 nightfighter kits that I could do. Also Do 17P, Do 17z  and a Do 215-J nightfighter to chose from, all 1/48.

I'm well into my BOB Do 17z, so that won't be a choice.

• Like 1

I have 6 eligible kits in the stash:

Bilek (ex-Airfix) Do 17E/F

Revell (ex-Monogram) Do 17Z-2

Airfix Do 17Z x 2 (new tooling)

ICM Do 215B-5 night fighter

Revell Do 17Z-10 "Kauz" night fighter (ex-ICM, but a newer and quite different tooling to the Do 215B-5 kit)

So I'm on board. However, I wonder if the criteria can be extended to include the Do 217 family? After all, there's a STGB currently proposed for the Leopard tank, even though the Leopard and Leopard 2 are very different animals (no pun intended). So why not the Do 17/215 and 217? IMHO, this would significantly expand the available range of subject matter, which would really benefit a STGB.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, vppelt68 said:

Please check the three "tags" of this GB proposal and see that the 217 family was already included :coolio:. Oh, and welcome too 😊 ! V-P

Sorry, I didn't see those (D'oh!). I'm used to thinking of the Do 217 as a "Completely Different Aircraft", and I didn't see it mentioned in the OP.

So I have 3 of the 6 Italeri Do 217 variants in the stash, having built the other 3 at some point. More choice!

Do 217E-3/4/5 missile carrier ("stepped" cockpit, BMW engines)

Do 217J-1/2 night fighter (BMW engines)

Do 217M-1 "historic upgrade" (glasshouse cockpit, DB engines, 4-bladed propellers)

For the record, the other 3 variants that I've already built are the Do 17K-1 (glasshouse cockpit, BMW engines), Do 17N-1 night fighter (DB engines), and the long-span missile-carrying Do 17K-2 (glasshouse cockpit, BMW engines). Italeri has certainly gotten the most out of this tooling over the years.

• Like 2

Well the plan to build Do17 Z KG76 (F1+FS) during the BoB GB fell by the wayside as I'm struggling even to finish it's vanquisher, Flt Lt John Dundas's 609 Sqn BoB Spitfire R6922, by Saturday's deadline.  Anyways this GB would be a perfect better late than never build eh????

• Like 1

I am interested in this GB too! I have got about 6 models in my stash for the Do-17/215. But as the 217 is included as well, I have more than 12 models for it! What to choose🙈. Luckily I still have some time.

Cheers,

• Like 2

Given that this won't happen before 2022 (?) & I have an Italeri Do 217 to do a Kg40 example in stock, I'll say yes to this. Who knows what strange things may have befallen us by then. I might have even found some building time. :unsure:  :D

Steve.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Where on Earth do you find these things Cliff??!!

Hi Craig.  Scalemates is a good indication of what's available, thereafter it's the inevitable eBay.  Second-hand dealers like KingKit also throw up the occasional gem.

With a few exceptions, there's normally only one 1/100(ish) kit available for most aircraft types - so it's take it or leave it.  For me, that is part of the appeal :winkgrin:

• Like 2

Back to the roots, eh? I joined the Britmodeller community the very day I posted this question:

I´m still interested in Dornier Do 17:s but still built only one of them in these past eight years, and that was in 2020! V-P

I did some cross-checking between the Do 17 and Ju 88 STGB participants list. There´s a good reason these two aircraft have gone hand in hand in my mind since I was a kid:

https://www.pienoismalli.com/wwhi_92.htm The first edition was published in 1971 and I remember lending it later from our public library when I was ten or something. So if you who have signed in the Ju 88 STGB - @JOCKNEY @Potato Pete @Wez @Coors54 @Johnson @Retired Bob @Rafwaffe @nimrod54 - sign into this Do 17 STGB too, we´d be already past 20 members and quite close to moving forward :thumbsup:. V-P

• Like 1