Panzer IVD - Dragon - 1/35

Hi guys,

Hope you are all well.

I just finished my Panzerkampfwagen IV build. It's a Dragon kit No. 6779, quite a nice kit, except horrible DS tracks that I replaced anyway with Fruils and a few minor accuracy issues.

Following my Pz IA build belonging to Panzer Reg 5, I decided to to the same with this one. I decided to go with a tank number 812, one of the first vehicles that arrived in Tripoli in March 1941. This is the initial vehicle, not a replacement one. It is interesting that I was not able to find any records about when this vehicle was lost (it seams that it survived Operation Crusader and stayed operational well into 1942, making it a true veteran).

I had to do some changes to the original kit, some were made due to the accuracy issues (for example drive sprocket provided in the kit is Pz IV E one), some to match workshop and upgrade changes made on tank 812. It also seams that 812 was a veteran of French campaign and that there were some refitting happening after that: changed position of Notek light, missing aerial deflector, rearranged tools, etc.. I also scratch built rear stowage, which is specific only for initial batch of Pz IVs belonging to Panzer Reg 5 . I also added some additional details, like tool clamps and some small PE work here and there.

I used a few AM items: Fruil's early 36cm tracks, Blackdog's stowage, Bronco's canisters, etc. It's painted with Mr.Color RAL 7021, and than with LifeColor Giallo Sabbia Chiaro. Weathering is a combination of Mig's nature effects and pigments. I used VMS metal tracks blackening fluid for the first time... it seams ok.

And some isometric on white background.

A little bit of details.

Model with filter applied simulating Panchromatic film:

And the real one... patchy painwork on the model is a little bit less vidible than original because dust reduced contrast a lot.

14A

Same tank before it was re-painted.

15A

Thanks for looking and thanks for the feedback.

Cheers,

Nenad

• Like 36
  • Thanks 1

Boy, this is good! I admire how you stick to historic evidence. My kind of approach with my aircraft models. It really adds value to a model!

• Thanks 1

On 10/27/2020 at 9:11 PM, StuartH said:

That really is very, very good. I love the faded colour contrasts between the grey and the yellow.

Lots of excellent details to hold the attention too 👏

Thanks for noticing, I was struggling a lot to achieve this contrast between the grey and the yellow and I wanted to do it so much because it was very specific for this particular tank :)

5 hours ago, Toryu said:

Boy, this is good! I admire how you stick to historic evidence. My kind of approach with my aircraft models. It really adds value to a model!

Thank you! Doing a research about particular vehacle is maybe my favorite part of the build, especially if there's not much information about it. It's like another hobby of mine :)

Got to check your aircraft models.

15 hours ago, Nenad Ilijic said:

Doing a research about particular vehacle is maybe my favorite part of the build,

Yeah couldn't agree more.

The model is very nicely done and the dusty weathered beaten paintwork is absolutely fantastic........and that last pic of 812 is a real lesson in how polished metal tracks get in a desert environment

• Like 2

On 26/10/2020 at 23:44, Nenad Ilijic said:

Hi guys,

Hope you are all well.

I just finished my Panzerkampfwagen IV build. It's a Dragon kit No. 6779, quite a nice kit, except horrible DS tracks that I replaced anyway with Fruils and a few minor accuracy issues.

Following my Pz IA build belonging to Panzer Reg 5, I decided to to the same with this one. I decided to go with a tank number 812, one of the first vehicles that arrived in Tripoli in March 1941. This is the initial vehicle, not a replacement one. It is interesting that I was not able to find any records about when this vehicle was lost (it seams that it survived Operation Crusader and stayed operational well into 1942, making it a true veteran).

I had to do some changes to the original kit, some were made due to the accuracy issues (for example drive sprocket provided in the kit is Pz IV E one), some to match workshop and upgrade changes made on tank 812. It also seams that 812 was a veteran of French campaign and that there were some refitting happening after that: changed position of Notek light, missing aerial deflector, rearranged tools, etc.. I also scratch built rear stowage, which is specific only for initial batch of Pz IVs belonging to Panzer Reg 5 . I also added some additional details, like tool clamps and some small PE work here and there.

I used a few AM items: Fruil's early 36cm tracks, Blackdog's stowage, Bronco's canisters, etc. It's painted with Mr.Color RAL 7021, and than with LifeColor Giallo Sabbia Chiaro. Weathering is a combination of Mig's nature effects and pigments. I used VMS metal tracks blackening fluid for the first time... it seams ok.

And some isometric on white background.

A little bit of details.

Model with filter applied simulating Panchromatic film:

And the real one... patchy painwork on the model is a little bit less vidible than original because dust reduced contrast a lot.

14A

Same tank before it was re-painted.

15A

Thanks for looking and thanks for the feedback.

Cheers,

Nenad

Ciao early wonderful job, I like it a lot

Paolo

• Thanks 1

On 10/29/2020 at 3:27 PM, M3talpig said:

Yeah couldn't agree more.

The model is very nicely done and the dusty weathered beaten paintwork is absolutely fantastic........and that last pic of 812 is a real lesson in how polished metal tracks get in a desert environment

Thank you! Yeah, it's very interesting how polished are the tracks, especially on this photo. Although, I decided to blacken them a bit more than that, due to aesthetic reasons only :)

On 10/29/2020 at 3:58 PM, Jasper dog said:

Work of art sir, absolute work of art. 

Paintwork,  weathering,  stowage all first class. Really appreciate the photos of the original too.

Great work

Darryl 

Thank you Darryl, you are making me blush :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2