Curtiss Tomahawk exhaust pipes

dogsbody

I can't answer your question Chris but that's a good photo, thanks for sharing, I don't recall ever seeing that type of exhaust before.

Do you have any details of when/where/unit?

6 hours ago, Wez said:

I can't answer your question Chris but that's a good photo, thanks for sharing, I don't recall ever seeing that type of exhaust before.

Do you have any details of when/where/unit?

No. 414 Squadron, RCAF, in England, 1941.

Chris

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hello Chris look for quick-boost sets 72083, 72096, & 72306. They're all for later marks but are all fish tail type exhausts. 

Thanks, Dennis, but they're not the right shape. I'll keep looking.

Chris

• Like 1

With some careful adjustment, these might work; they're very thin metal, so...:

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/rexx-72023-bell-p-39-airacobra-fishtail-exhaust-pipes--1107789

REXx seem not to make a set of fishtails specifically for the P-40B, nor do they seem to make one for the Allison Mustangs, which would be another candidate. Good luck!

John

1 minute ago, dogsbody said:

I was thinking of small triangles of plastic sheet superglued onto the fishtails.

Chris

Two per stack, 12 stacks; with wastage (read ‘carpet monster’) you will probably need about four dozen triangles 😎

• Like 1

Im going to go out on a limb here Chris, try asking in the new 3-D printing section.

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/forum/700-3d-makerspace/

Someone may be able to print what you need? Im going to through a @wellsprop here just in case. He would know if its feasible ?

Dennis 

• Like 1

I don't see any reason why such exhausts couldn't be printed in 72 scale (or any other for that matter).

As with any 3D print, the difficulty is the design. Whilst the design is reasonably simple, it would probably take 5 hours work.

That said, if you have a CAD model of it, I'm happy to print the occasional thing :)

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, wellsprop said:

I don't see any reason why such exhausts couldn't be printed in 72 scale (or any other for that matter).

As with any 3D print, the difficulty is the design. Whilst the design is reasonably simple, it would probably take 5 hours work.

That said, if you have a CAD model of it, I'm happy to print the occasional thing :)

All I have is a few more photos like the one I've posted.

Chris

Just now, dogsbody said:

All I have is a few more photos like the one I've posted.

Chris

I assume you already have a 1/72 kit with the normal exhausts?

Is this new exhaust almost identical to the normal exhaust, just with funny triangle bits (technical term) added?

If you could provide an image of the kit exhaust (annotated with dimensions) and post it in the 3D makerspace, it might gain some interest. I'll see if I can have a play around with a design at some point...

Look for the exhaust pipes intended to reduce glare at night on the bombers.  Suggested kits would be Hampdens, Wellingtons, Blenheims, Stirlings, Halifaxes.  The main problem I can see is that these may well be tapered, but if it's a Halifax you'll have four to play with.

What do you mean, you don't have lots of spare Halifaxes and Hampdens?  What kind of modeller are you?

• Haha 1

No, they're not identical to the original round exhaust. They are more like the fishtailed one, bit with an extra flute, like you'd see on a Beaufighter exhaust pipe.

The first RAF Tomahawks had the factory round exhaust pipes:

50538506301_bfe084af7c_b.jpg

50538653562_55bcfcdd24_b.jpg

Later aircraft, maybe from a second batch or modified in the UK, had the fishtail type:

50538506201_c2c4eb7b5a_o.jpg

50537781898_21794d460f_o.jpg

Later, some had the pipes with the extra flutings:

50538651667_9e0866542b_o.jpg

50538506256_ba45bc02a9_o.jpg

The images above are all from various articles that have been given to me by author Carl Vincent  @Carl V

Chris

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, dogsbody said:

No, they're not identical to the original round exhaust. They are more like the fishtailed one, bit with an extra flute, like you'd see on a Beaufighter exhaust pipe.

The first RAF Tomahawks had the factory round exhaust pipes:

Later aircraft, maybe from a second batch or modified in the UK, had the fishtail type:

The images above are all from various articles that have been given to me by author Carl Vincent  @Carl V

Chris

Hi

Until you posted these photos, i was staring to think the rear most pipe was smaller, but now i see it is the same size 

great photos

I find almost every day there is so much new  i have yet to learn 

cheers

jerry 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, dogsbody said:

50538651667_9e0866542b_o.jpg

50538506256_ba45bc02a9_o.jpg

@Graham Boak is right they do remind me of the porcupine exhausts used on night aircraft ? I did look at RedRoo which carry a number of them but nothing like this for a Tomahawk/KittyHawk

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1