Maritime counter terrorism

junglierating

Just wondered if anyone had noted the good news on er...the news about the Hijacked ship incident which was swiftly concluded in a positive and professional manner by SB .....delivered by Junglies supported by WMF and the RAF ....well they have Chinook ....kinda useful. BZ to all 👏

• Like 3

Reads like it was again very professionally done.

Was rather under-impressed with the approach taken (before I turned her off) by the annoying woman who was standing in for Jeremy Whine today seeking to trivialise the operation even more so than he would have done.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Des said:

Was rather under-impressed with the approach taken (before I turned her off) by the annoying woman who was standing in for Jeremy Whine today seeking to trivialise the operation even more so than he would have done.

Vanessa Feltz....enough said...

Mike

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Des said:

Reads like it was again very professionally done.

One of the two people I can't stand to listen to

• Like 2

To be fair, Vine has played a critical part in the education of senior British officers - in the days when we used to be able to take them on exercise to France, it was more cost effective for one particular senior course to go in teams of four in hire vehicles. On the way back to camp, the process was:

1. Channel Tunnel. As per Trident boat last resort instructions, The Today programme immediately located upon arrival in Blighty

2. Breakfast stop

3. Retune to Radio 2 - Ken Bruce

4. Coffee stop to coincide with Popmaster.

5. Vine Show commences some 30 minutes prior to RTB.

6. First individual to say words to effect of 'turn this rubbish off' stands the .brews upon arrival at camp (circa 1230 - we'd always had at least 10 minutes of radio silence before getting there)...

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

12 minutes ago, XV107 said:

To be fair, Vine has played a critical part in the education of senior British officers - in the days when we used to be able to take them on exercise to France, it was more cost effective for one particular senior course to go in teams of four in hire vehicles. On the way back to camp, the process was:

1. Channel Tunnel. As per Trident boat last resort instructions, The Today programme immediately located upon arrival in Blighty

2. Breakfast stop

3. Retune to Radio 2 - Ken Bruce

4. Coffee stop to coincide with Popmaster.

5. Vine Show commences some 30 minutes prior to RTB.

6. First individual to say words to effect of 'turn this rubbish off' stands the .brews upon arrival at camp (circa 1230 - we'd always had at least 10 minutes of radio silence before getting there)...

Ah nuffin' like good old traditions ....pull up a bollard/sandbag shipmate😂😂

When I heard the Merlins, I was wondering what the FAA were up to flying on a weekend. It didn't take long until I realised where they were heading!

The Merlins Out of Service date is 2030 - operations like this highlight their importance, let's hope the government realise...

10 hours ago, wellsprop said:

When I heard the Merlins, I was wondering what the FAA were up to flying on a weekend. It didn't take long until I realised where they were heading!

The Merlins Out of Service date is 2030 - operations like this highlight their importance, let's hope the government realise...

Maybe we might get an aircraft with the right Support 🤠

• Haha 1

I read that Lloyds of London revealed the ship tried to put the stowaways ashore in Spain and in France but they were refused. This was almost a carbon copy of a job in 2018,.... again a ship from Nigeria and the Shaky Boats did good then too! 

• Like 2

On ‎10‎/‎28‎/‎2020 at 7:57 AM, wellsprop said:

Not necessarily a unique role to the Merlin, but absolutely the capability is required in that or a more modern and more capable type come 2030

14 minutes ago, Agent K said:

Not necessarily a unique role to the Merlin, but absolutely the capability is required in that or a more modern and more capable type come 2030

Actually for what its worth Merlin can be quite reliable its the support package and lack of kit which holds it up....plus its got tons of redundancy....that said the SK 4 and 771s mk5  also did sterling service before their demise...but boy there were days where virtually the whole fleet were u/s

54 minutes ago, junglierating said:

Actually for what its worth Merlin can be quite reliable its the support package and lack of kit which holds it up....plus its got tons of redundancy....that said the SK 4 and 771s mk5  also did sterling service before their demise...but boy there were days where virtually the whole fleet were u/s

Ditto,

Having spoken to Merlin pilots and crew, they are very supportive of the Merlin, saying it is vastly more capable than the Sea King (some admitted that reluctantly!). They all said the biggest issue is they can't get the upgrades and equipment required - that's up to Whitehall.

The Merlin still has heaps more performance that can be extracted, it just needs someone to pay for it https://www.semanticscholar.org/paper/BERP-IV-Aerodynamis%2C-performance-and-flight-Robinson-Brocklehust/8e9c0536f37a3e4f562312ad1a64d40d2c1c9adc?p2df

• Like 1

1 hour ago, junglierating said:

Always the case re support isn't it it seems in the military/MoD.

32 minutes ago, wellsprop said:

Ditto,

Having spoken to Merlin pilots and crew, they are very supportive of the Merlin, saying it is vastly more capable than the Sea King (some admitted that reluctantly!). They all said the biggest issue is they can't get the upgrades and equipment required - that's up to Whitehall.

The Merlin still has heaps more performance that can be extracted, it just needs someone to pay for it https://www.semanticscholar.org/paper/BERP-IV-Aerodynamis%2C-performance-and-flight-Robinson-Brocklehust/8e9c0536f37a3e4f562312ad1a64d40d2c1c9adc?p2df

That's what I hear too, post procurement support and development is always where the budget and will is lacking.

Purely as someone in the wider aviation industry and from what I hear, the Merlin is an extremely good platform and very capable, and just to reassure my comments weren't knocking the Merlin in anyway, I happen to like it, but come 2030, what options might be available, and whatever the future looks like it has to be the best available for the mission.

• Like 1

@Agent K, honestly, I don't think there is an adequate replacement for the AW101... The RN version fills some pretty specific requirements of being small enough to operate on a Type 23, folding up into a conveniently "small" size yet having a very high lifting capacity and incredibly long range.

Canada has chosen to upgrade their Cormorants to the latest and greatest standard https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/canada-to-upgrade-and-expand-ch-149-cormorant-fleet/#:~:text=The AgustaWestland CH-149 Cormorant,life to at least 2042.

There are plenty of options to upgrade the AW101 and extend it's life similarly. The only truly "new" rotorcraft in development at the moment (relevant to the role) is the SB-1 Defiant - but that has less lift capacity, doesn't fold, can't seat as many troops, smaller cabin, no ramp. The AW101 is being used in a COD role on the RN QE class, the US uses the V22 similarly.

To be honest I have yet to talk to any Merlin aircrew, whether pingers or junglies, who are not enthusiastic about it. The RAF's loss was definitely the CHF's gain, but the Chinook mafia have always been eager to lay the boot in. I also remember when the EH101 was facing off against the S-92 for the original Marine One replacement Sikorsky were always running it down. There used to be a member on PPRuNe who seemed to treated as a demigod by many, who was forever denigrating it.

It's a shame, because it's a fantastic machine and deserves better luck in the export market. But, dare I say it, it's not built in Italy so Leonardo don't seem to be as bothered about it as they are about some of their other products.

• 2 weeks later...