Leopard Tank STGB Chat

modelling minion

With the recent uptake in interest in armour related GB's and STGB's I have been having a think about having one for a topic which I have liked for a long time, namely the Leopard family of AFV's. This family of tanks has been at the top of the AFV game since their entry into service in the late 60's and the newest models are still up there.

I would have all versions of the Leopard as eligible for GB, including all of the gun tanks from the Leopard 1 onwards and all of the other vehicles which have used the hull of the Leopard in one form or another such as the Gepard anti-aircraft tank and the Biber armoured bridgelayer. There are plenty of operators from Australia to Chile so there is a good range of colour schemes and markings that your model can be finished in, and as such no whiff's I'm afraid. If you want a build a version that didn't get into service but was made as a prototype then that will be fine, it was built after all.

There are plenty of good kits out there in both 1/72 and 1/35 scale, I don't think there has been a 1/48 kit yet, and a range of aftermarket goodies and decals available too. So what do you say, fancy doing something a bit more modern than Panthers, Tigers and Shermans?

1; Me (obviously) Host

2; Plastix  co-host

3; Corsairfoxfouruncle

4; klr

5; desert falcon

6; Julien

7; helios16v

8; HobbyPaul

9; diases

10; Arniec

11; Mig Eater

12; fatfingers

13; ijs302;

14; trickyrich

15; badger 

16; Foxbat

17; Orso 

18; Flying sailors 

19; Rocky

20; KRK4m

21; Zack 

22; TonyW

23; Rob S

24; Dermo245

25; GREG DESTEC

26; Airfixpeter

27; Bertie Psmith

28; Sardaukar

29; RedDot

30; Covjets13

31; spruecutter

32; TonyW

33; MarkSH

34; Steben

35; Marklo

36; Silenoz

37; PeterB

38; Softscience

39; Vppelt68

40; ColonelKrypton

41; Cammer62

42; Nickhenfrey

43; Sardaukar

44; JTninja

45; Mippie

Edited by modelling minion
  • Like 2

Hi Craig. Really looking forward to this GB!! I already have the kit I'm planning to build!! And I'm pretty sure all the usual tank enthusiasts will be interested in this STGB!

Kind regards, 

Stix

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Craig. Really looking forward to this GB!! I already have the kit I'm planning to build!! And I'm pretty sure all the usual tank enthusiasts will be interested in this STGB!

Kind regards, 

Stix

Lets hope so!

I shall be collecting a couple of Leopard kits soon, Revell's Leopard 1 and 1A1 in 1/35 and quite fancy adding Hobbyboss leopard 2 to the collection.

• Like 1

This is the one I'm planning on making:

50534206677_64082d4c70_b.jpg

It looks like a good kit in the box and it has some really good detail. Apparently the major problem with it is the wrong number of slats on the rear. I wouldn’t have known if I hadn’t read the review on Scalemates.

Kind regards,

Stix

EDIT: Julien's review of this kit can be found here:

• Like 1

I have all 3 of the current Revell "officially licensed" 1/72 kits of the Leopard 2: A5/A5NL, A6/A6M and Strv 122A/122B. I also have the 1990s kit of the Leopard 2 A4. Count me in.

Mind you, I suppose I should first finish the Dragon kits of the Leopard 2 A4 and A6, the old Revell Leopard 2 A5, and the Revell Leopard 1. Finally, some motivation.

Would the Revell SLT 50-3 "Elefant" & SaAnh. 52 tank transporter count for this GB, as long as I also built a Leopard 2 to put on it? Not that I'm planning on that, as the tank transporter has a zillion parts. But it would make for an interesting combo build.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Sign me up Craig... A Canadian, Polish, or Chilean one for me. 

Good man Dennis, always great to have your support and with some interesting options too.

10 minutes ago, klr said:

I have all 3 of the current Revell "officially licensed" 1/72 kits of the Leopard 2: A5/A5NL, A6/A6M and Strv 122A/122B. I also have the 1990s kit of the Leopard 2 A4. Count me in.

Mind you, I suppose I should first finish the Dragon kits of the Leopard 2 A4 and A6, the old Revell Leopard 2 A5, and the Revell Leopard 1. Finally, some motivation.

Would the Revell SLT 50-3 "Elefant" & SaAnh. 52 tank transporter count for this GB, as long as I also built a Leopard 2 to put on it? Not that I'm planning on that, as the tank transporter has a zillion parts. But it would make for an interesting combo build.

Great to have your support klr, your build rate and quality are a bonus to any GB.

If you built the transporter at the same time as the Leopard then that would be fine, after all it is something to display your model on. Sounds like you have quite a few Leopard kits in the stash already and I like the idea of a Swedish Strv 122.

Consider yourselves added to the list.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, modelling minion said:

Thanks Johnny, a Danish 2A5 in Afghanistan sounds really interesting, lots of great pictures of them on the internet.

mmm pretty sure I have a Legend Danish conversion in the stash somewhere...........

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Julien said:

mmm pretty sure I have a Legend Danish conversion in the stash somewhere...........

Sounds close enough to volunteering for me! I shall add you to our list Julien.

The Leopard Club site really is a fantastic source of information and the aftermarket stuff they do has very good reviews.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, modelling minion said:

I don't think there has been a 1/48 kit yet, and a range of aftermarket goodies and decals available too. So what do you say, fancy doing something a bit more modern than Panthers, Tigers and Shermans?

Academy did a 1.48 Leo 2 a few years ago, and there are some older Leo 1 kits out there

https://www.scalemates.com/search.php?fkSECTION[]=All&q=Leopard+2+1%2F48*

https://www.scalemates.com/search.php?fkSECTION[]=All&q=Leopard+1+1%2F48*

Not sure how good they are.......

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Thats an indecent amount of Leopards for one man to have in his stash! It would keep me busy for years.

Thats nothing, I have over 80 F-86 kits in 1/72, 1/48 and now 1/32.

Its not an obsession...I can stop ay any time, honest :D 

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, Julien said:

Count me in, just checked and I have;

Leo 1

1A3/A4

C2 MEXAS

2A4

2A4M CAN

2A5

2A6 (Revell)

2A6 Tamiya

2A7

Bergepanzer 2

Gives me something to go at ;)

Do I have to pull an Enzo here ! 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

I have an Aussie AS1 that needs and excuse to by built, add me to the list Craig

Thats excellent Ray, always great to have you in a GB and an Aussie AS1 would be a great addition to the line up too.

They wore some great schemes and some of the ones done with mud would look really good on a model.

• Like 1