Leopard Tank STGB Chat

modelling minion

1 hour ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Urm folks what colour should one paint Leopard 2 tracks, revell suggest some kind of strange mix base with rubber black raised areas? 

I don't know what mix Revell would have you use Stu but if you look at what a lot of us are doing the metal parts of the track are almost a light rust colour but can be worn to a shiny surface through wear and they do indeed have rubber blocks which are raised, your best bet for these can be a very dark grey (Revell's anthracite for example) or an off-black such as NATO black.

🇺🇦

31 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

I don't know what mix Revell would have you use Stu but if you look at what a lot of us are doing the metal parts of the track are almost a light rust colour but can be worn to a shiny surface through wear and they do indeed have rubber blocks which are raised, your best bet for these can be a very dark grey (Revell's anthracite for example) or an off-black such as NATO black.

🇺🇦

Just dug the page out the bin and yep its 3 parts Steel with one part rust, and had a look at some photos of the real thing including factory shots and looks like it starts as dark brown,  but having now looked at the scale tracks the brown area is so small and there are so many rubber bits I'm going to be lazy and paint the whole thing rubber black......cheers 

• Like 2

I have found ones kits and resin and will get cracking shortly. Question as I’ve never built armour. It’s the Meng A3/A4 kit. Do you have to glue the individual track links if you choose to use them or do they ‘press fit’? Cheers

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Cammer625 said:

I have found ones kits and resin and will get cracking shortly. Question as I’ve never built armour. It’s the Meng A3/A4 kit. Do you have to glue the individual track links if you choose to use them or do they ‘press fit’? Cheers

Hard to say, really depends on the kit and scale. most 1/72 kits (for example) don't tend to be individual links, but 1/35 kits generally seem to have workable tracks as standard

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Cammer625 said:

Very glad that you have found the elusive kit.

I don't have a Meng Leopard in the stash but from what I have seen of ones being built in the GB I believe that glue has had to be used, despite what the instructions tell you. Have a look at Richard's build here;

🇺🇦

• Like 1

Hi Mippie - if your kit is the same as my Leopard 1 A5, you have to glue the individual track links together. There is no clicking together, you have to rely on a gluing a butt joint. For the straight run, I did them in sections of 4 or 5. When dry I then transferred them to the wheels and glued them in position. I glued them on individually when fitting them to the drive wheels. 

I have the last two parts to go on my Leopard 1a4, the antennae

any thoughts on the correct diameter for the wires (and length)?

the Revell supplied ones look about 1mm diameter that's about an inch and a half full scale

The narrowest plastic rod I have is 0.3mm, but that still works out 1cm diameter full scale

I have some 0.2mm and 0.1mm copper wire, but I'm not sure it won't flop around, even 0.1mm works out to 3.5mm full scale, actually that sounds about right...

what do you think? Or has anyone got some wire supplied in the kit that looks right they could measure?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nickhenfrey said:

I have the last two parts to go on my Leopard 1a4, the antennae

any thoughts on the correct diameter for the wires (and length)?

the Revell supplied ones look about 1mm diameter that's about an inch and a half full scale

The narrowest plastic rod I have is 0.3mm, but that still works out 1cm diameter full scale

I have some 0.2mm and 0.1mm copper wire, but I'm not sure it won't flop around, even 0.1mm works out to 3.5mm full scale, actually that sounds about right...

what do you think? Or has anyone got some wire supplied in the kit that looks right they could measure?

That is actually a very good question Nick.

I think you're right that the 0.1mm copper wire works out the right diameter but as for length I think its a case of looking at pictures and guesstimating. I have had a quick look and they seem to be around 6ft in length which works out at 37.5mm so anything around there should look right but I believe offering some wire up to the turret and using the Mk.1 eyeball to see if it looks right could be the way to go.

🇺🇦

• Thanks 1

Thanks Craig, 

2 hours ago, modelling minion said:

offering some wire up to the turret and using the Mk.1 eyeball to see if it looks right could be the way to go

that is exactly the way I will go then, hopefully tomorrow, and if the weather's good may get the gallery photos done....

• Like 1

Do I start another kit I'm not going to finish in time?  :undecided:

We'll see how much time is left after I get a couple clear.  Finally found the bench again after a few months (since March), so I'm trying to get the RB-66 & Su-27 pushed out.  Pretty sure I'll be getting badgered about starting the 1/32 F-4G here shortly too.  :poke:

Edit:  I just looked at the dates...10 days left.  Yeah, that is unfortunately not going to happen.  I'll maybe carry it over to the Southern Europe GB (Greece) if I have time.

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, helios16v said:

Do I start another kit I'm not going to finish in time?  :undecided:

We'll see how much time is left after I get a couple clear.  Finally found the bench again after a few months (since March), so I'm trying to get the RB-66 & Su-27 pushed out.  Pretty sure I'll be getting badgered about starting the 1/32 F-4G here shortly too.  :poke:

Edit:  I just looked at the dates...10 days left.  Yeah, that is unfortunately not going to happen.  I'll maybe carry it over to the Southern Europe GB (Greece) if I have time.

Sorry you won't be joining us Chris but I completely understand with the time left in the GB.

🇺🇦

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

And thats a wrap guys!

Thank you all so much for taking part in the GB and for making hosting it a very easy experience, greatly helped by my glamorous assistant @PlaStix, and of course our glorious GB leader @Enzo the Magnificent thanks guys I couldn't have done it without you.👍

Now while we may not have the fullest gallery on BM but for a STGB I think we have done well and the quality of the builds in it are very high. So once again a huge thank you to all who have taken part whether your build got completed or not.

Its been a pleasure to host the GB.

Craig.

🇺🇦

Edited by modelling minion
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, modelling minion said:

And thats a wrap guys!

Thank you all so much for taking part in the GB and for making hosting it a very easy experience, greatly helped by my glamorous assistant @PlaStix, and of course our glorious GB leader @Enzo the Magnificent thanks guys I couldn't have done it without you.👍

Now while we may not have the fullest gallery on BM but for a STGB I think we have done well and the quality of the builds in it are very high. So once again a huge thank you to all who have taken part whether your build got completed or not.

Its been a pleasure to host the GB.

Craig.

🇺🇦

1 hour ago, PlaStix said:

Hi all. I’d like to echo everything that Craig @modelling minion said above and to also thank him for being such a fantastically supportive host.

Kind regards,

Stix

Thank you both and @Enzo the Magnificent for running this STGB! You made my first GB and second scale model kit a thoroughly enjoyable experience with lots of support and encouragement! Looking forward to taking part in many more GBs moving forward.

Cheers,

Mipps

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Mippie said:

Thank you both and @Enzo the Magnificent for running this STGB! You made my first GB and second scale model kit a thoroughly enjoyable experience with lots of support and encouragement! Looking forward to taking part in many more GBs moving forward.

I'm glad we didn't put you off!😁

🇺🇦

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Although I’ve ( just barely) missed the deadline I really have enjoyed the GB so nice to actually have a choice or Camo schemes for a Mk l leopard. I shall finish my retouching between now and the weekend and load up my photos to the inspiration gallery.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Marklo said:

Although I’ve ( just barely) missed the deadline I really have enjoyed the GB so nice to actually have a choice or Camo schemes for a Mk l leopard. I shall finish my retouching between now and the weekend and load up my photos to the inspiration gallery.

I'm really glad you enjoyed the GB, I was hoping you would get your Leopard Blitzbuild across the line and I am impressed with how much you did manage to get done in such a short time. I look forward to seeing her finished in the inspiration gallery.

🇺🇦

27 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

I was hoping you would get your Leopard Blitzbuild across the line

So was I but the last few weeks have been hectic and many other projects took my time also I somehow had September 3 in my head for the GB , which didn’t help. Still no worries, I’m very pleased with my leopard. Although I do reckon I’ll be a bit less ambitious in my GB signups next year :) 

• Like 1