Leopard Tank STGB Chat

modelling minion

10 hours ago, Zack said:

Sure thing, I am in on all 3 🥃

Were do I vote, please? 

Safe&sane, stay away from the tonic... 

Zack

Thanks Zack.

To vote you need to go to the "bunfight poll", at the very top on page 1 there will be a drop down menu on the left.

Scroll down find the Leopard STGB and place your tick, and also tick for the M3/M4 STGB and tick that box too.

5 hours ago, Flying sailors said:

Just remembered to cast my votes. looking forward to excuse to mess around with tracks for a change.

5 minutes ago, HobbyPaul said:

Cast my vote as well

Many thanks to both of you, if we continue at this rate it looks like we should make the final cut.

And it will make a nice change to build something with tracks again.

1 hour ago, modelling minion said:

Well done for voting.👍

AS for 1/72 kits I believe you will be looking for 1A5's and I think the best in that scale is from Revell.

Well, I bought a 1A2 from Italeri. Will need some retrofit of obsolete parts to make a Belgian 1A1BE though

• Like 1

I recieved news that the volunteers at Tank Museum in Brasschaat are planning to bring the Belgian 1A5 MEXAS prototype in working order again.
Although never adopted full scale and quite dated today amidst all the 2A7 violence, this one is for now the ultimate piece in Belgian armoured history.
It will be joining the other Leopard pieces once again as part of the cold war theme.
23916408_2024489241159823_33485180413862
24131693_2024489181159829_75544424648525

Edited by Steben
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, Bertie Psmith said:

Would a Panzerhaubitze 2000 qualify. Its a SP Howitzer based on the Leopard 2 chassis. And it is ******' amazin'!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panzerhaubitze_2000

(I hope so because I just ordered one)

Hmmm, not sure how much of the Leopard is actually used in that. 

If it uses the chassis then absolutely yes, and I would really like to see one in the GB, will have to have a look at how much Leopard is in there.

Just now, modelling minion said:

Hmmm, not sure how much of the Leopard is actually used in that. 

If it uses the chassis then absolutely yes, and I would really like to see one in the GB, will have to have a look at how much Leopard is in there.

It's got the right number of roadwheels anyway. 😉

• Haha 1

"PzH-2000 chassis use some mechanisms and parts from "Leopard 2" main battle tank. It simplifies howitzer serial production and maintenance as well as Bundesver armed forces use "Leopard 2" main battle tanks. Howitzer has seven bearing rolls from each side. Tracking wheels are placed frontally. Tracks are made from steel with rubber-metallic hinge. Tracks are interchangeable with "Leopard 2" main battle tank tracks."

http://www.army-guide.com/eng/product237.html

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Bertie Psmith said:

"PzH-2000 chassis use some mechanisms and parts from "Leopard 2" main battle tank. It simplifies howitzer serial production and maintenance as well as Bundesver armed forces use "Leopard 2" main battle tanks. Howitzer has seven bearing rolls from each side. Tracking wheels are placed frontally. Tracks are made from steel with rubber-metallic hinge. Tracks are interchangeable with "Leopard 2" main battle tank tracks."

http://www.army-guide.com/eng/product237.html

It might be pushing it a bit but I am going to allow it as it seems to have a fair bit in common, and a couple of years ago I was allowed to build a T-62 in the T-55 GB as it's ultimate evolution, and it's my GB.😁

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

It might be pushing it a bit but I am going to allow it as it seems to have a fair bit in common, and a couple of years ago I was allowed to build a T-62 in the T-55 GB as it's ultimate evolution, and it's my GB.

That's a well argued justification, especially the last three words! Thanks very much. I was going to do a bergepanzer but when I saw this monster with its eight meter long gun tonight, I just had to have it. There's probably some deeply Freudian motivation there, possibly a time of life thing too. Lol. It's an astonishing machine. My limited research tonight indicated that it can shoot five shells in such a way that they all arrive at the target SIMULTANEOUSLY! Vorsptung durch bbbbbaaaaannnnnggggg!!!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I just had a quick google on the Leopard 2 and even though armour isn't my natural habitat I fancy having a go at this. I'm heading up to Telford this weekend as part of my mojo rehabilitation process.....any recommendations on which kit to look out for?

Cheers,

Mark

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, MarkSH said:

I just had a quick google on the Leopard 2 and even though armour isn't my natural habitat I fancy having a go at this. I'm heading up to Telford this weekend as part of my mojo rehabilitation process.....any recommendations on which kit to look out for?

Cheers,

Mark

Welcome to the asylum Mark, I have added your name to the list of patients.

Glad to hear that you are headed up to Telford at the weekend, I shall be there myself for certain on the Saturday not sure about Sunday yet on the IPMS Mercia stand if you want to pop along.

Now I am very much an amateur armour builder being very much a signed up member of the wingy things modelling community but I do like to build the occasional piece of armour and really like Leopards, I also find that building something a bit different helps with mojo issues, had a few of those myself recently.

As for which kit to buy well that really depends on which scale you want your beast to be in. There are good kits in both 1/72 and 1/35, a good mix of accuracy/price seem to be the more recent Revell and HobbyBoss 1/35 kits and the older Italeri ones aren't bad either. In 1/72 I would say again the newer Revell kits and the older Italeri/ESCI ones.

Don't forget to cast your vote our way in the Bunfight poll or this will all be for nothing.

Cheers Craig,

I'll be sure to lookout for you at SMW on Saturday, will you be wearing a carnation on your Minion dungarees so I recognize you?

Yes mojo loss is a right pain especially when you already have an expansive stash that the wife is fully aware of....why aren't you gluing bits of plastic together? as opposed to haven't you got anything better to do?....love her to bits really, it's her birthday this weekend so I'm lucky to be going to Telford at all.

Thanks for the recommendations I'll probably go for 1/35, I've just been reading that the Tamiya is a good kit also.

P.S.

I have voted appropriately. 

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, MarkSH said:

Cheers Craig,

I'll be sure to lookout for you at SMW on Saturday, will you be wearing a carnation on your Minion dungarees so I recognize you?

Yes mojo loss is a right pain especially when you already have an expansive stash that the wife is fully aware of....why aren't you gluing bits of plastic together? as opposed to haven't you got anything better to do?....love her to bits really, it's her birthday this weekend so I'm lucky to be going to Telford at all.

Thanks for the recommendations I'll probably go for 1/35, I've just been reading that the Tamiya is a good kit also.

P.S.

I have voted appropriately. 

Cheers,

Mark.

You are very lucky to be attending Telford if its the boss' birthday!

Unfortunately my better half is also fully aware that my stash is quite substantial, "not more plastic!" is the usual cry, though I am not without my wily ways of adding to the stash.

The new Tamiya Leo 2A5 and 2A6 are indeed very nice kits, though I would steer clear of their much earlier Leopard kits.

I am without dungaree's (not a bad thing) but and slightly round and wear glasses so not too unlike my avatar.

On 10/11/2021 at 17:35, modelling minion said:

Might I also suggest that those of us attending Telford this weekend pop along to the Leopard SIG who will have a display in Hall 2, goodness knows they will most certainly know more than I do about the subject!

Saw them yesterday - brilliant selection.

• Like 1