Leopard Tank STGB Chat

modelling minion

Hmm, I thought I had signed up for this group build but a quick review seems to indicate that I did not.

In any case, modern armour is not really my interest but I am always looking new challenges so please add my name to this group build.

cheers, Graham 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, ColonelKrypton said:

Hmm, I thought I had signed up for this group build but a quick review seems to indicate that I did not.

In any case, modern armour is not really my interest but I am always looking new challenges so please add my name to this group build.

cheers, Graham 

More than happy to add you to the list Graham.👍

🇺🇦

• modelling minion changed the title to Leopard Tank STGB, in the bunfight again and at 40!
  • 3 weeks later...

I don't have anything suitable in The Stash, so I'm depending on advice from the BM GB Massiv.  

Hobby Boss 1/35 Leopard 2A5.   Any comments?

Also... a prototype question.   Looking at the 2A5 turret, isn't there a significant shot trap there?  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Enzo the Magnificent said:

I don't have anything suitable in The Stash, so I'm depending on advice from the BM GB Massiv.  

Hobby Boss 1/35 Leopard 2A5.   Any comments?

Also... a prototype question.   Looking at the 2A5 turret, isn't there a significant shot trap there?  

As I state very early on in the proposal for the GB I am far from an expert on the Leopard (or anything else really) but from what I have seen the Hobby Boss kits seem to be accurate and quite good value too.

As for the shot trap it does look to me to have a significant one designed in, very unusual for a modern design.

🇺🇦

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Covjets13 said:

@modelling minion now you MADE me buy a kit, when are we starting? I’m really looking forward to my second tank😉

Cheers Craig for organising this GB. 

Si 

As soon as I get a date Simon I shall let you know, I have asked for a slot in the second half of the year so we just need to wait for our intrepid GB/STGB moderatot @Enzo the Magnificent to shuffle the deck and let us know when we can get started.

🇺🇦

• modelling minion changed the title to Leopard Tank STGB, 27th May to 27th August 2023.
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
1 hour ago, gregg136 said:

I Wish I saw this before starting the Revell last week. Ah well it's quite a nice kit and you can never have enough Leopards. I may even get a Meng one to compare. 😉
I'm in.

You are most welcome to join in, and if your current Revell Leopard is less than 25% built and you can wait until the GB starts in May then you can finish that one in the GB too.

🇺🇦

• Like 2

On 11/2/2022 at 1:26 AM, Enzo the Magnificent said:

Looking at the 2A5 turret, isn't there a significant shot trap there?  

Shot traps aren't really a concern on modern tanks as the tungsten rods used in modern APFSDS rounds will either penetrate or shatter when hitting an armoured surface, rarely will they deflect intact into a shot trap area were they can do residual damage.   

Edited by Mig Eater
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Mig Eater said:

Shot traps aren't really a concern on modern tanks as the tungsten rods used in modern APFSDS rounds will either penetrate or shatter when hitting an armoured surface, rarely will they deflect intact into a shot trap area were they can do residual damage.   

Thanks for that.  It also seems that what looks like the "shot trap" is in fact spaced applique armour.  It's not thick enough to deflect a round, which will detonate on the surface, penetrate the applique armour and the space will then attenuate the plasma jet.

• Like 1

MM - I was idling looking at the instructions for the Tamiya 1979 tool Leopard 1, and saw it comes with a snorkel

I can just see you with a Damian Hirst style tank (of water not formaldehyde) with the Leopard all but submerged, just a cm of snorkel sticking out? 

Any thoughts if the kit is any good? Haven't built a tank since I was a kid, so it would just be a weathering testbed I guess

No windows, but those road wheels and tracks look like a pain? 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, nickhenfrey said:

MM - I was idling looking at the instructions for the Tamiya 1979 tool Leopard 1, and saw it comes with a snorkel

I can just see you with a Damian Hirst style tank (of water not formaldehyde) with the Leopard all but submerged, just a cm of snorkel sticking out? 

Any thoughts if the kit is any good? Haven't built a tank since I was a kid, so it would just be a weathering testbed I guess

No windows, but those road wheels and tracks look like a pain? 

Just having a small amount of the snorkel sticking out would be a great way to finish the GB quickly.

The Tamiya Leopard ! is an old kit and not going to be as detailed as modern toolings or as accurate, but thats not what GB's are about. The idea is to have fun whilst building a model, I don't care if there are inaccuracies in the kit (which kit doesn't have something "wrong" with it?) I just want the GB to be friendly place where we can share our building experiences and if you want to use it as a weathering testbed then that is fine with me.

🇺🇦

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

The idea is to have fun whilst building a model...  I just want the GB to be friendly place where we can share our building experiences.

:thumbsup:  That should be the groupbuild forum tagline. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

The Tamiya Leopard ! is an old kit and not going to be as detailed as modern toolings or as accurate

That’ll be my build too. Because the m basically a cheapskate, every time I go to my (not so) local model shop I always come away with a sub €20 Tamiya AFV so far I’ve got a Panzer II, the Leopard and a Panther all older tooling. That said modern kits like the Academy M10 I built stress me out a bit owing to their complexity..

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Marklo said:

That’ll be my build too. Because the m basically a cheapskate, every time I go to my (not so) local model shop I always come away with a sub €20 Tamiya AFV so far I’ve got a Panzer II, the Leopard and a Panther all older tooling. That said modern kits like the Academy M10 I built stress me out a bit owing to their complexity..

There's nothing wrong with your approach here at all, and as you say the older toolings can be a lot easier and quicker to put together, which can only mean that the builder is getting more enjoyment out of the build. I built a load of the older Tamiya armour kits as a ham fisted teenager (many years ago!) and really enjoyed them and got good results and a good fit on them which helped to keep my enthusiasm for the hobby.

🇺🇦

• Like 1

7 hours ago, modelling minion said:

the older toolings can be a lot easier and quicker to put together, which can only mean that the builder is getting more enjoyment out of the build.

Hence the popularity of Classic groupbuilds. 

• Like 1