Fokker G.1A 1940 camouflage pattern

christian Boehm

Hello everybody

I am building a 1/72 MPM Fokker G.1A and after weeks and weeks I am at the painting stage

This building was not a gift of God because I had to correct many, many faults as much for the shapes as for the dimensions. The fact is that I studied a lot articles, scale, plans, internet chats, asf

As I saw some criticals with tutorials for correcting the kit, I must say that I saw few finished building articles. To bring out a quite good one G.1 was a real calvary

About the good color matches for the 3 tones cam pattern  I have, after exchanges, a good idea and will use Hataka

See:

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235077039-dutch-cam-question-what-looks-the-real-camouflage-beige-like-like/

Now as I watch the different cam drawings proposed, I notice that there are many different interpretations. So I have some questions:

1)    It seems there was no standard pattern as in the RAF… ?

2)    And if, is something known about a system of A and B ( RAF type) patterns  ?

3)    Or was the cam pattern aleatory from a plane to the other (as in French 1940 Air Force) ?

Specially what do our dutch modelers think ? Some of them wrote a lot on that plane

My own special choice is the aircraft N°319  of 3. JaVA

On the existing photos , it’s very difficult to have an exact idea of the pattern except, may be, for the light green grey color.
Who could help ? who found a credible pattern drawing ? where ?

Thanks

christian

Too fast...

For Graham :

I think the enamel you talk are the orange range Hataka ?

these colours seem quite close to good sources as dutch publications and IPMS Sweden Stockholm sources ( including FS and "close FS" references)

My problem is not a shade one but a pattern one

On the former Britm.  link I sent , conclusions were satisfying about the global Hataka values of credibility

And also discussions went to ways to dilute the paints

Hi Christian,

maybe @edwinhoogschagen can help with this specific question? He mentioned in the Rumoronger thread for the MikroMir that their camo pattern is incorrect and suggested the Fokker G-1 books written by the Fokker G-1 society (www.fokkerg-1.nl) as the best reference (unfortunately they seem to be out of print currently).

Cheers

Markus

Edited by Shorty84

I have the 2-Vol set on the G-1 written by Gerdessen, Kalkman, Oostveen and Vredeling. Most of it is in Dutch which I am not much good at but they do say that each G1 had a unique camouflage pattern so they could tell the planes apart, but that each group of 4 off the production had similar patterns but with the colors in different order. They have some sample camo profiles which I will try and upload to a photo site so I can post them here.

16 hours ago, christian Boehm said:

I think the enamel you talk are the orange range Hataka ?

these colours seem quite close to good sources as dutch publications

Colourcoats as in the former WEM paints. 
Both the Colourcoats set and the Hataka set are good. 

There are some more pattern/scheme indicators here:

https://kw.jonkerweb.net/index.php/nl/vliegtuigen-lijst/vliegtuigen-f/495-fokker-gi?start=5

The profiles contain similar info as posted earlier with regards to alternating colours between batches.

Profile nr.3 also indicates your 319 subject.

• Like 1

Thanks Bjohn5 specially for the drawings

Because I personnally own  some downloaded pictures of that book but not the profiles

The "319" looks like this "318" with light colour on rear third of the left  tail boom ; on this picture it's obvious one plane has the same pattern and the second not

So the theory you explained looks interesting with sm

spacer.png

mmmh again went out too fast !

So the theory you explained looks interesting with similar patterns on some small series coming out the factory and  other patterns on the followers

The pattern looks close to one of the 2 you showed us ; and as well of the 2 shown on the Kora decal sheet (72.319) that I will use ; see :

spacer.png

On the sent photo, it's quite impossible to specify the upwing's pattern but so I think I will follow this scheme

Christian

• Like 1

Thanks a lot alt 92 !

and hello Netherland !

your link seems certainly very close to official rules

just one thing : I noticed the front fuselage part is almost always dark colored ( without "beige" parcels) , and , it seems, with a plain Dark brown nose , specially for the 319

Last question : the Goose nose art of 3. JaVA is seen on left nose side ; I never found a photo with it on the right side

The Kora decal gives 2 : so both nose sides or not ?

I have to paint together my G1 and Fokker D XXI  ...

what I hate is cleaning the airbrush so ...

I am sure I am not the only one

Yes Miss alt (!! look at the  your profile !)

You know what ? I learned this,  this afternoon from a polish modeler friend...

see 2nd source

www.72news.eu

So logic... see what Tamiya got out from his 48 kits to 72 with computer technology help

And it makes me in a big smelt of angry & depression

I work on that sh...t MPM kit for 5 months

2 options :

1) I keep ...         so one or another will get me a medal for having such an ambition to get something  out of ... mediocrity

2) I stop it totally

I will have a quite bad night ....

But ok ,  I've to be nice to all sad modelers from Netherland who have such a wish for Christmas

Just if only the Netherland Market is worth doing that

So ok I think I will stop

What are 5 months in a  57 years long modeller life  (I'm 69 and started at 12) ?

But anyway poo-poo and f..

And guess what ? I will start an Hasegawa Emily !!!

0% chance MicroMir will get me bad for this project

christian

• Like 1

11 hours ago, christian Boehm said:

Last question : the Goose nose art of 3. JaVA is seen on left nose side ; I never found a photo with it on the right side

The Kora decal gives 2 : so both nose sides or not ?

The two books by Gerdessen, Kalkman, Oostveen and Vredeling show a bunch of photos of the rights side of the 3 JaVA G1 noses, WITH the goose present! They are on pages 61, 64, 65 and 66 of Volume 1.

Rob

Edited by Rob de Bie
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, christian Boehm said:

And it makes me in a big smelt of angry & depression

I work on that sh...t MPM kit for 5 months

Always happens.

You spend a lot of time on making something worthwhile of a dog of a kit, and as soon as you're done, someone announces a brand new, modern IM model kit. 

There's an MPM Hudson in the stash that I'm willing to bet will get a new one as soon as I pull my finger out and build it.

Thank you Rob about the Goose nose art answzer

And alt 92 , yes I agree ; it happened to me several times

examples :

> building a Vacuform (!!!) Rogozarsky IK 3 , mmmhhh , look what Azur-Fromm  did

> building a Vacuform Wings Glenn sea plane : see what Fujimi (I think) did ...

> building a Vacuform Rareplanes vindicator : see what MPM did....ok this one I built it again

asf

During spring lockdown , I finished an Albemarle Valom . As well a hard trial... totally wrong model ( 6 months work)

I will send pictures but fisrt the MPM Fok G1 at its actual stage

see you later

Sorry to hear that it's a shame about the 'lost' work, but I'm really excited about the Mikro Mir kit! And as for the MPM one in the stash.. well, finally we'll know how far off that kit was!

On 10/30/2020 at 5:57 PM, christian Boehm said:

During spring lockdown , I finished an Albemarle Valom . As well a hard trial... totally wrong model ( 6 months work)

Wait, what. What's wrong with it? I've been eyeing one of those...

27 minutes ago, Luka said:

Sorry to hear that it's a shame about the 'lost' work, but I'm really excited about the Mikro Mir kit! And as for the MPM one in the stash.. well, finally we'll know how far off that kit was!

yes I quited

but will send a picture of the pre painting stage I was

On 10/30/2020 at 5:57 PM, christian Boehm said:

And alt 92 , yes I agree ; it happened to me several times

examples :

> building a Vacuform (!!!) Rogozarsky IK 3 , mmmhhh , look what Azur-Fromm  did

> building a Vacuform Wings Glenn sea plane : see what Fujimi (I think) did ...

> building a Vacuform Rareplanes vindicator : see what MPM did....ok this one I built it again

asf

It happens to me so many times, the worse I think was Lancaster Mk II converted just before appearance of Airfix and scratch build of Northrop Delta a year before SH released them all... So I started to think that it is typical modeler problem and started to accept it. So, please go on with your Fokker, nobody told that new one will be free of flaws (the new one! )

Regards

J-W

3 minutes ago, alt-92 said:

Wait, what. What's wrong with it? I've been eyeing one of those...

How a lot .....

I posted all my buidlingt on & french 1/72 forum

See this link

https://1-72.forumgratuit.org/t10696-valom-armstrong-whitworth-albemarle-mk-v?highlight=albemarle

I hope it will open

But 2 problems

1) it's in french

2) worse : if you're not registered you won't see the pictures   (that I think for myself stupid but it's not of my resort)

So if you want to get my step by step , no problem

Just take a look and if you 're interested to build it , tell me

I started to copy all chapters (5 forums pages) on a  personal file but this work isn't finished

I had the chance to get fantastic docs

at the end it looks such

spacer.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, JWM said:

It happens to me so many times, the worse I think was Lancaster Mk II converted just before appearance of Airfix and scratch build of Northrop Delta a year before SH released them all... So I started to think that it is typical modeler problem and started to accept it. So, please go on with your Fokker, nobody told that new one will be free of flaws (the new one! )

you're right although  I could see a pre issue sprue photo which looked promising

And already the central fuselage is plain , not all clear like the MPM

MPM certainly thought it's a good idea for the numerous windows but at the end it looks not nice ; the clear plastic is too thick

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, christian Boehm said:

How a lot .....

I posted all my buidlingt on & french 1/72 forum

See this link

https://1-72.forumgratuit.org/t10696-valom-armstrong-whitworth-albemarle-mk-v?highlight=albemarle

I hope it will open

Did some speedreading there.. ok, got the point, lots of work ahead. :hmmm:

at the end it looks such

spacer.png

:clap2:Nice :)

Having just completed my Valom Hampden, I won't dive into this one straight away, but it certainly makes the fingers itch :P

Back to the G.1 again.. 
If the 1/72 is anything like the 1/48 I have waiting for the BeNeLux GB, it should be pretty nice. Although they did do the fuselage in that 48 one as clear part like MPM did.

It'll be nice to have another 1/72 addition though! Not the first time I've used a better model as example to do mods on an older, less detailed kit.