Two Tiny Tonkas - Revell 1/144

nimrod54

5 hours ago, alhenderson said:

She is small and beautiful!  That shot with the paint tin for reference is a real eye opener!!

Al.

Cheers Al.  I include a 1p coin in some of my photos during my 1/144 builds, but I think that a Humbrol paint pot gives a better idea of size.

5 hours ago, exdraken said:

Turned out fantastic!

Hard to believe that this paint tin is to a 1:1 scale... is it really ;)

Thanks Werner. The scale of the paint pot is indeed 1:1..... or is it? :winkgrin:

4 hours ago, Hockeyboy76 said:

That’s another 144 cracker good buddy. 

Thanks matey, hopefully I can add another to the collection before the end of this GB.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Murdo said:

Cracking stuff as usual mate! Really lovely work!

:clap:

Thanks a lot Murdo, I am pleased that you like this one bud.

I am still working on the Flying Flea, and I have been able to fix the incredibly small instrument panel in place, then eventually got the engine support glued on, but not before attempting to feed the carpet monster with the part a couple of times.

1 hour ago, Dansk said:

That’s incredible at that scale 👌

Cheers Paul, and thanks for your kind comment.

On 10/12/2020 at 06:45, Hewy said:

Thats a little beauty john, great picture next to the humbrol tin👍

Thanks very much for your comment Hewy. I think that I am starting to get the hang of photographing these giant tins of paint alongside my builds now. :lol:

On 10/12/2020 at 17:46, CliffB said:

That's brilliant John.  Congratulations!

Cheers Cliff..

21 hours ago, Colin W said:

Great job on another little job.

How you can work on these tiny models is truly amazing!

Well done

Thanks a lot Colin, I should hopefully have the GR.4 sorted by next weekend, I just have to decide which markings to finish it in.

• Haha 1

Having finished my Hawk build on Saturday, I made a start on the GR4 yesterday, painting up the cockpit, assembling the fuselage parts and, breaking from my usual method of building these kits, I have added the wings. Other work included scratch building the FLIR pod and small intake, plus the addition of a RetroWings clear resin LRMTS pod.  I think that I may need to tweak the shape of FLIR pod a little, then once I have added the seats and canopy it should be ready for paint. 

50719340886_d157b8dc1a_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

50719425837_2ab3d2b8af_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 4

After tidying up a few areas and a little bit of rescribing, painting is now underway on my little GR.4, this is how things look following an initial layout of the colours. I have used a Medium Sea Grey for the overall colour, Dark Sea Grey on the nose, Revell Aqua Black on the tail and Citadel Flash Gitz Yellow on the spine, but I need to check that against the decals - it may need to be more on the golden yellow side.

50732874162_b7ed020b07_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

I am still aiming for a weekend finish but things are getting tighter.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, stevehnz said:

I hadn't caught up with this, being the "wrong" scale for me & all. ;) but I'm pleased I have now, the GR.1 is quite exquisite, I'm sure the GR.4 will be a wee beauty too.

Steve.

Thanks Steve. I have just finished work on the model for tonight. I have added the squadron markings and roundels, I'll take some photos of progress tomorrow., before starting work on painting details like pylons, wheels, underwing tanks etc. and then I can press on with adding the stencils.

Cheers

John

• Like 1

Before I continue work today, here is a photo of progress so far. I have finished the model as a 9 Sqn. GR.4,  ZA456 based at RAF Marham in 2015. As you can see, the choice of Citadel's Flash Gitz Yellow was a good match for the decal in the end.

50736267767_055e509b2b_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

With plenty of little fiddly jobs to do before I can wrap this one up, it's time for me to crack on.

• Like 5

Apologies for the lack of updates today guys, but I have been pushing on with my second build, which was finished a little while ago. Here is the finished model

50741689052_033b4987ca_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

50741586481_a9cb6802cd_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

and here is photo of the GR.1 and GR.4 alongside and Dragon F.3 that I built a few years ago.

50740848928_3d5b564556_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jabba said:

Well done in getting these built.

Thank you very much Jabba. After looking at the photos again this morning, the GR.4 is not quite as finished as I thought - I missed painting in the cannon exit panel on the starboard side,  :wall: and everything was going so well, excuse me whilst I just get my paintbrush. :winkgrin:

Superb job on the GR4. Again its amazing to see such great modelling in such a small scale.

I really like to see the 3 together.

Dont worry about the canon barrel, its not too obvious. 

COlin

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Colin W said:

Superb job on the GR4. Again its amazing to see such great modelling in such a small scale.

I really like to see the 3 together.

Dont worry about the canon barrel, its not too obvious. 

COlin

Thanks Colin. they have turned out pretty well, there are still a couple of details that I could probably added, like the little pipe/sensor? on the intake on the forward section of the fin and perhaps a couple of the smaller aerials, but hindsight makes it is easy to be hyper-critical about your own work.

You are right the cannon port/panel is not that visible in the photos, but I still painted it in yesterday, which was a tricky job with all the dangly bits and extended refuelling probe.

Thanks for organising a cracking group build, it has been great fun and there are lots of fantastic looking models in the gallery. 

Now I just need to fill some gaps to complete the collection, What an excuse for buying more kits, better start hunting. :lol: 

1 hour ago, Hockeyboy76 said:

There great John.  Top work dude. 

Cheers good buddy. That's another one for the collection. making it a bumper year for my model finishes, yet more proof that this year has been far from normal.  

• Like 1