Two Tiny Tonkas - Revell 1/144

nimrod54

I have made a few of these 1/144 Tornado kits since this newer version was released and currently have Luftwaffe, Saudi and Italian versions in the display cabinet, but missing from the collection are RAF examples, and that is something I hope to put right with these two builds. The plan is to build one as a GR.1 and the other as a GR.4.

50532758983_71438cf98e_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

50533483871_4afff8b5c6_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

Here are a few photos of my earlier builds

50324006983_bfceabbee9_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

50324007123_307c72355b_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

50324675516_71bb2968ee_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 11

I couldn't resist making some sort of a start on one of these, so set about painting the cockpit parts and doing a small... err OK, a tiny bit of assembly :winkgrin:,

50544325912_c8e7dce9a2_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

50544325812_c8a1706ecc_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

50544182991_ef391ddee0_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

Finally, just to give an idea of the rough size of the finished model, here's a snap of the thing roughly assembled and taken on a 1cm grid. One of the things that I like to do with these kits is to remove the device that enables the wings to move together, and then I open a slot back to the pivot point, that allows me to fit the wings later and eases painting and as you can see below, I have also carried out that job.

50544183091_ddfabd5bcd_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Having finished painting the cockpit in the week, I pushed on with some assembly work this morning. First job was to add the cockpit to one of the nose sections, I then put some Liquid Gravity in the nosecone, taking care to keep it away from the join line. After gluing the nose halves together, I added three fishing weights just behind the cockpit, which should be enough to keep it on its wheels. I also had to add a small section of plastic to the Nav's centre box where it meets the instrument panel to blend that in, but left a slight lip to act as a bit of a sunshade.

50576075181_b2b194339e_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

I then drilled out the nosecone and fixed a 1/144 Master brass pitot in place, time will tell if it was a good decision to fit it so early in the build. The refuelling probe housing was then glued in place before I scratched the small duct that is missing on the lower port side.

50576075286_9f18fc076b_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

50576214552_4f7433636f_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

50575343648_c50270d0d6_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

This is how things look overall. I now need to tidy up the work so far and finish painting the interior of the intakes. They have been painted a pale grey, and now require some exterior colour at the front end and black on the intake lips, before I fix those in place.

50575343913_7bd3e84e69_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

The plan is to finish this as Tornado GR.1, ZA559, White F  of XV (R) Squadron (the TWCU), RAF Lossiemouth in the mid 1990's, before the aircrafts MLU to GR.4 standard in 1997-98.

• Like 4

22 hours ago, Hockeyboy76 said:

Cracking start dude. 

Cheers buddy. Looking at my planned builds it looks like things could start to get busy over the next few weeks, hopefully I can get these sorted and then, if there is time start, I can start something a bit bigger.

6 hours ago, Col. said:

Tidy work John. It's too easy to forget you're working in 144th scale when seeing such finesse :goodjob:

Thanks a lot Col. These later releases of Revell's newer Tornado kit are a really nice foundation and build well out of the box, but a few small enhancements helps to lift them a bit more.

John

• Like 2

@exdraken, @CliffB@Colin W,

Thanks for your kind comments chaps. I have spent a most of the time over the past week working on my Hawk build, but have made a start on painting the GR.1. The XV Squadron scheme is finished in Dark Sea Grey overall, with Black radome and anti-glare panel and Flint Grey leading edges on the fin and tailplanes. It also carries the MacRobert's Reply crest, in memory of a similarly named Short Stirling bomber of WWII, under the cockpit on the port side.

The DSG and Black on the fuselage and radome are almost finished, there are just a couple of areas that need a bit of neatening up to complete that job. I have also been working on the wings and pylons and they need another couple of coats to finish those off.

50605143511_115133a025_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

50605267227_b9ee066e21_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 8

On 16/11/2020 at 07:06, Jabba said:

Impressive work as usual, especially in the scale that you work in.

Thanks Jabba, the special glasses help a lot. :lol:

8 hours ago, Col. said:

MacRobert's Reply is a worthy subject choice in my opinion :thumbsup:

Mmmm! :hmmm: Now I wonder why that would be, the tartan on the tail should please you even more Col. :winkgrin:

John

• Haha 1

On 11/17/2020 at 7:05 PM, nimrod54 said:

Mmmm! :hmmm: Now I wonder why that would be, the tartan on the tail should please you even more Col. :winkgrin:

John

The MacRobert family lived at Doonside House beside Tarland which isn't far from where I was brought up so a bit of local interest John :)

• Like 1

I finished most of the detail painting of the fuselage yesterday and then brushed on some clear in preparation for adding the decals. The decals are from the Mark1 Dozen booklet for the Tornado and I applied those this afternoon.

50629590227_e94424298d_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

50628748578_e2ebb38d93_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

The booklet photos of ZA559 shows the aircraft with no stores fitted, I think that a Tornado looks odd in that configuration, but a quick search for more images on Airliners.net turned up some interesting shots prior to ZA559's GR4 update. In one of those it is fitted with the smaller underwing tanks which have retained their camouflaged colours, so I think that I am going to do the same thing with this build. 

I still have to add stencil data to the pylons and possibly a few more to the airframe, paint more of the details like the tanks and LRMTS before I start final assembly of this one. Once I have done that, I will get on with the GR4.

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/11/2020 at 09:17, exdraken said:

Wow, real, great!

It looks rather smart in those markings! 

On 23/11/2020 at 07:04, Jabba said:

The splash of colour on the tail brightens up the grey camo scheme.

On 26/11/2020 at 16:37, Hockeyboy76 said:

Looking great with decals on. 

Thanks for your comments guys. Apologies for the delay in getting back to you - things have been a bit hectic here, as I am sure they are for you too. That said, I did get back to working on the GR.1 yesterday and here is where I had got to this morning;

50691316446_8d30da7f51_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

As you can see, I had fixed the wings in place, scratched a couple of aerials, added the missing light to the spine and I had also brushed on a couple of coats of satin. I finished adding the the last of the parts this morning and took some photos for the gallery a short while ago.

50690570003_f058cd607a_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

That leaves around two weeks to get a GR.4 together, so lets see how I get on.

• Like 4