So what colour's your Spitfire?

Apologies for using a popular quote of the time but I couldn't resist it....  Anyway, this is the new release from Airfix finished in the kit markings. The only extras I used were a pair of wheels and exhausts from Eduard along with a new set of cannons, again, from Eduard but one of their MkIX's. Airfix say in the instructions that G-FIRE sometimes flew with only 2 cannons but as yet I can't find one picture in all the hundreds there are on the web...! Someone out there must have one that I can't find...unless of course...?

Personally I think the colour scheme seems to suit the aircraft...as I did back then.

50532512038_46d7df5225_b.jpg6

50533238801_e6ac0e4da7_b.jpg3

50533239376_58d1497062_b.jpg7

50533393737_efddd991c9_b.jpg4

Edited by keithjs
  • Like 29
  • Thanks 3

Having seen this flying in the flesh in a mock combat in the Netherlands it certainly brings back memory’s 😁

I certainly like the choice from Airfix ...

Great build as well and a good companion for a Sea Fury perhaps!
I like it that you kept it clean, just looking spiffy...

cheers, Jan

This was the first Spitfire I saw flying, I guess it was 1983, in the Netherlands, like the previous poster.. I was very impressed by the speed of this machine.. Your build is a very nice representation of a special Spit!

Kind regards,

Gerben

• Mike changed the title to So what colour's your Spitfire?

Thanks for that. A typical Ray Hanna display at the 1981 Biggin Hill Air Show. How low can you get! Unfortunately these 2 photos below were both taken that day too....Sorry.... But I appreciate you going to the trouble of looking for me.

50537276392_8ddc4ebd8a_b.jpg17-1

50537125596_40515ffe69_b.jpgMEV-10843409

• Like 2

Here's another one that (consciously) witnessed his first Spit in the Netherlands in 1983.

For me, it's nearly in the backyard though :P Hilversum airfield.

Looks absolutely brilliant in red, nice work :)