Dewoitine D-500V, Venezuelan Air Force, 1/72nd scale...

John Masters

This'll be fun.  The Kora decal set comes with some resin aftermarket parts that I will not be using.  The build will be OOB except for the decals and some scratch bits I may (or may not!) add.  Obviously this will be a 500V, not a 501...

That's it!

What beautiful box-art!

50532321936_67b21c3a0d_k_d.jpg

Sprue, etc...

50532479492_951a8d6d50_c_d.jpg

KORA aftermarket stuff...

50531600453_7a5c8416ba_c_d.jpg

What number I choose...I have no idea yet.  Ask me next week.

--John

• Like 11

• John Masters changed the title to Dewoitine D-500V, Venezuelan Air Force, 1/72nd scale...
9 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

I'm be watching avidly :)

Thanks Martin.

Then I shall build accordingly.  Only 3 were sent to Venezuela.  Hence the registration numbers--1,2, and 3 and the designation 'V'...

• Like 1

Just now, John Masters said:

Thanks Martin.

Then I shall build accordingly.  Only 3 were sent to Venezuela.  Hence the registration numbers--1,2, and 3 and the designation 'V'...

Wonderful stuff, John!!!! :) Just my cup of tea!!!!!

Martin

• Thanks 1

Looking forward to this one. It seems a shame to replace the spats - they are really delicately and sharply moulded - perhaps the replacements are more like the D.510's.

A question if I may - is your fuselage slightly gritty if you run your fingernail along it? The one on mine is, and it's the same boxing/vintage as yours by the looks of it.

Regards,

Adrian

4 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Looking forward to this one. It seems a shame to replace the spats - they are really delicately and sharply moulded - perhaps the replacements are more like the D.510's.

A question if I may - is your fuselage slightly gritty if you run your fingernail along it? The one on mine is, and it's the same boxing/vintage as yours by the looks of it.

Not to worry Adrian.  The spats stay on the Venezuelan birds.  In fact, the resin spats are quite nice.  The kit spats are just as good so I will save the resin for another kit.  I will only use the decals from the KORA kit.

Regarding the grit...yes. Slightly, with raised panel lines too.  I will take a fine sandpaper to it to smooth it a bit.  

6 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Two big thumbs up from me John. 

Thanks Dave.  I am looking forward to it.  I have had the decals for well over a year.

6 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Just my cup of tea!!!!!

I'll start in later.

--John

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I love the instruction sheet.  For a beginner's kit you do need to pay attention.  Or perhaps years ago young modellers had a better sense of concentration and logic.  I blame television.  

50533531148_2ae819e2f1_c_d.jpg

So started in on the fuselage, wings and air scoop.  Pretty basic stuff.

50533531158_d820926138_c_d.jpg

This is interesting...'A'...I think I am supposed to drill. So I drilled.  It is for the landing gear.

50533531088_41e8fba2be_c_d.jpg

50534261271_6f9c3d455f_c_d.jpg

'B' must be for the D-510 which had a wider stance.

I assembled the wings...

50534446472_e44da89e09_c_d.jpg

And also half of the fuselage.  I will give both interior halves a spritz of aluminum and then some black to bring out edges, etc...Nothing fancy.  I'll add a tape harness before I close it up.

50534261216_6947f8f399_c_d.jpg

And I assembled the air scoop...

50533530978_b4e3e3a6b4_c_d.jpg

I'll leave it here for the night.

--John

• Like 13

Nice progress John and thanks for the tip about the two undercarriage support holes under the wings. I’ve got two of these kits in transit and had no idea about that little but important fact. That’s my learning for the day! 
Cheers.. Dave 

I have assembled the fuselage.  The top of the nose, the piece with the guns, will need a tiny bit of filler on both sides.  No problem.  Note that I have not sanded down the panel lines.  In my mind I am adhering to an earlier protocol, the one where I am 9 years old and didn't know a panel line from a quarter panel.  They are no as dramatic as the old Airfix moulds at least!

50539183336_97f5a32182_c_d.jpg

--John

• Like 8

The wings are on and I will address these small gaps and steps later this afternoon or this evening.  Still, the fit is consistent and way back when I would not have 

felt anything was out of line.

50539770238_d4df3df48f_c_d.jpg

--John

• Like 8

On 10/26/2020 at 8:14 PM, Rabbit Leader said:

Nice progress John and thanks for the tip about the two undercarriage support holes under the wings. I’ve got two of these kits in transit and had no idea about that little but important fact. That’s my learning for the day! 
Cheers.. Dave 

This whole GB is basically going to be my point of reference for all future Heller adventures! 😁

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TonyOD said:

This whole GB is basically going to be my point of reference for all future Heller adventures! 😁

...And we're going to be building them for a while. I know I've got dozens of them in the stash now.

Nice start on the Dewoitine. Looking forward to the progress. It's a nice little kit.

Steve

• Like 2

On 10/26/2020 at 8:17 PM, John Masters said:

I assume the kit for the 510 has 'B' on the sheet for the drilling...

Hi John,

Just checked the instructions and you are correct. A for the 500/501 and B for the 510!

Pete

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, fightersweep said:

It's a nice little kit.

God start John and to add to Steve's comment they're all nice kit's everytime you see this GB's choices you want to build them too!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, fightersweep said:

I know I've got dozens of them in the stash now.

I’ve just been occupying myself with a bit of discreet fondlage de maquette. The number I’ve accumulated since I got a sniff of this GB is hilarious.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, stevej60 said:

Everytime you see this GB's choices you want to build them too!

Absolutely! I've always loved Heller kits, but this GB has tipped me over into addict territory.

8 minutes ago, TonyOD said:

The number I’ve accumulated since I got a sniff of this GB is hilarious.

You and me both Sir! If I'm not on Kingkit's Christmas card list this year, I'm going to be seriously narked.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, TonyOD said:

fondlage de maquette.

Now that’s funny... and can I echo everyone’s comments regarding recent Heller acquisitions and addictions. A few weeks back I had less than ten Heller kits in the stash, however this number has now blossomed to close to 40, with still a number in transit and a few more on RL’s wish list! These Classic kit GB’s do absolutely nothing for stash reduction and now I’m looking at buying large books full of French text.... I’ve honestly gone mad! 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Haha 3

22 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

I’ve honestly gone mad! 

Me too...long ago.  

Madness...fitted the radiator...

50545135172_d1ea5ba15c_c_d.jpg

Then there were several steps regarding the landing gear and struts, radio antennae, foot steps...and suddenly, without thinking, I was here...

50545134917_be170983ae_c_d.jpg

And there...

50545134872_06b2a4a2e1_c_d.jpg

And I am almost ready for primer and paint.  How that happens, I am not sure, but it is not the first time!  🤪

• Like 10