With Apologies To RJ Mitchell

When I was music director on cruise ships there were six words my boss the cruise director could say that always filled me with dread... "Pete, I've had a great idea".  Now that I'm retired I find myself doing the same thing to myself.  The plan was, take an Airfix Spitfire starter set that I found in a charity shop for £3 and turn it into a pylon racer owned by the airline I created for the missus when I turned this Halifax (charity shop, £4) into a "Handley Page Liverpool."

G10

I should know better but with a gleeful cry of "Dunning?  Kruger?  Never heard of them.  Hold my beer!" I got stuck in.  The plan was to put blisters on the nose to make room for the bigger and more powerful Rolls Royce Dragonslayer V-Several engine (packing the power of 2800 horses, three camels and a badger), install an oversize prop blagged from the Halifax above (which had come with two sets), add some extra exhaust pipes (also from the Halifax), switch out the undercarriage for fixed trike gear with pants and spats (because it looks more "sporty")  and emblazon it with sponsor stickers like a F1 race car.

Sometimes that which looks good on the coach's clipboard doesn't work so well on the field of play.

Got off to a halfway decent start by gluing the halves of a bomb in place...

AMR 2

Then made some underpinnings out of plasticard...

AMR 9

Applied a metric ton of filler, sanded my fingers to the bone, then had symmetry problems, masking disasters and a canopy that didn't want to fit for love nor money.  It had become a Lemony Snickett build (a series of unfortunate events).  "Kit Fatigue" set in after a couple of weeks of futzing and fettling so I just finished the blasted thing with warts and all.  (I had built a perfect 1:72 scale model of the Dragonslayer engine out of duct tape, chewing gum and toenail clippings but sadly forgot to photograph it before gluing the fuze shut).

AMR 17

A slight miscalculation of the U/C and prop means the plane can also be used to mow the runway.

I'm not sure if the canopy popped up a bit while the glue was setting or if I simply hadn't noticed the left side when I installed it but the thought of cutting it off and doing it again was a bit too daunting so it'll have to sit in the cabinet with the right side facing out!

AMR 16

But, of course, the right side had the worse masking mess.

AMR 13

Sponsors were recruited from the wife's tastes... Marks and Spencer, Versace, Prosecco, Jimmy Choo etc and, of course, her favourite footy boys, Everton...

AMR 18

AMR 19

Out of curiosity, does anybody else find Mr Decal paper to be a bit "grabby"?  I had a lot of trouble slipping the decals into place (or not into place!)

I raise my hat to you clever blokes that scratchbuild successfully!  Of course you're cheating with all that stuff you have like skill, ability, patience...

Much as my execution was, shall we say, a bit dodgy I still like the idea and having had a bit of practice may give it another whack after Christmas when the £2 and £3 kits show up in Aldi and the charity shops.

Here she is with a couple of unmodified Spits...

AMR 20

Now it's onward and upward as I'm about to tackle a Roden SE 5 which will be totally OOB.  Wish me luck!

Cheers, lads. :drink:

Edited by Uncle Pete
  • Like 23
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

Brilliant. Totally bonkers but brilliant. Love the Halifax job too. 

One thing, I tale it the wings are not modified and it’s perspective in the photo that makes the racers wings look twice the size of the other two “normal” Spits?  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JohnT said:

One thing, I tale it the wings are not modified and it’s perspective in the photo that makes the racers wings look twice the size of the other two “normal” Spits?

It's a combination of perspective, the colour and the fact that my photography skills are no better then my build skills!  (I love that Mitchell quote in your tagline, by the way... Says it all!)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Not sure whether to give this imaginative build a "like" or a "laugh" so I gave it the latter as your posts always give me a grin. And I like the novel Spitslayer.

RJ would have approved, I'm sure !!

Rog

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, roginoz said:

Not sure whether to give this imaginative build a "like" or a "laugh"

Definitely go with the "laugh"... I take the builds of others seriously but my own?  Not so much!

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, JohnT said:

Brilliant. Totally bonkers but brilliant. Love the Halifax job too. 

They do look big. 

Atcherly, modding the wings by clipping the tips would make a lot of sense for a racer.  Not that "sense" has much to do with this.😀

Rgds

Martin

• Haha 1

The appeal of your build is that you let your imagination run and something truly distinctive came from it. I'm impressed with the end result and with the airline you created for your missus.

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, mike romeo said:

modding the wings by clipping the tips

I had actually thought of doing that and using the clipped off bits for winglets but decided that might be pushing my luck a bit too far.  It also occurred to me that the stance on the trike gear puts the wings more squarely toward the camera making them look bigger in the chord.

10 hours ago, Uncle Pete said:

AMR 20

I think because of such a position of the exhaust  of such a powerful engine, the lucky pilot will look something like this:

480px-Pennsylvania_coal_miner,_a_black_f

😉😁

I liked the article, Spitfire with a nose wheel too!

B.R.

Serge

Edited by Aardvark
  • Haha 2