1/72 De Havilland Vampire FB.5 (#283) - Finished

AdrianMF

I haven’t seen one of these so I thought I’d throw it in:

CAB8-EA7-A-9-A61-4578-8-B9-F-BA48548-F7-

3519-E9-EE-A7-A8-42-E0-8-D9-F-B8-F09884-

First impressions are that it looks very good and the detailing around the cockpit, jet orifices and undercarriage parts is both copious and delicate.

There look to be possibly a couple of intakes and ejector chutes missing  from the top and bottom because of two part mould issues, but nothing that a couple of photos and a bit of plastic card can’t fix.

I have a FROG one somewhere so I will dig that out for a comparison at some point.

I’m sure I will find out about the fit as I go!

• Like 10

Good call Adrian. Although we have a few Mistrals in the mix, I’m quite surprised it’s taken a little while to see this pure Vampire kit appear on here. To my knowledge, it’s a lovely kit and still holds its own in the accuracy stakes compared to more modern toolings. Why we still don’t have a readily accessible and accurate 1/48 kit of this aircraft, just baffles me! 
Cheers and looking forward to seeing what you do with it.. Dave 

Great to see the Vampire kit, I agree with Dave, it's a lovely kit.

One thing to watch though are those decals for the 112Sqn jet, the sharkmouth should be black with red outline not as Heller have it.  Modeldecal got it right on their revised sheet 14, the information came from a sqn member responsible for painting the markings.  Unfortunately, the warbird on the airshow circuit repeats Heller's mistake with the red sharlmouth and black outline.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RidgeRunner said:

finished with the French cockade!

Hmmm... might be a step too far ;) I was thinking of making a companion for my Airfix T.11, which I did in the Fluorescent Orange scheme. The Airfix T.11 has a brilliant boom join, great detailing and recessed panel lines (and I think it's the best Airfix kit I've ever built), but I am surprised at how close the Heller kit is to it in detail and finesse. I haven't dug the FROG kit out yet but it isn't nearly as detailed or delicate.

This forum is a continuing education. I wasn't aware of the Mistral, although I was aware of the "Elephant Ear" Nene variants, and once again I am very impressed at Heller's planning - my kit has two sprues marked "Vampire/Mistral" and one marked "Vampire".

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Wez said:

sharkmouth should be black with red outline

Thanks for that - I am planning a run into the office to print off some decals on the laser printer. I will scan and re-colour the sharkmouth on while I'm about it. Too many teeth for a paint touch up!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

This forum is a continuing education. I wasn't aware of the Mistral, although I was aware of the "Elephant Ear" Nene variants, and once again I am very impressed at Heller's planning - my kit has two sprues marked "Vampire/Mistral" and one marked "Vampire".

:)

2 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

This forum is a continuing education.

Absolutely :)

Good luck with this one, Adrian!

Martin

Just now, AdrianMF said:

Too many teeth for a paint touch up!

How about a scan and colour change in photoshop or something similar?

• Thanks 1

Hi Adrian,

Built this many years ago - around 1980 I would think, having failed to buy the Frog one I fancied back in 1973? It build up nicely, though I did mine wheels up so I don't know about the u/c or weight - I know I had to put quite a bit in my Xtrakit one I built last year.

I shall watch with interest.

Pete

• Thanks 1

Hi Adrian,

Just had a quick look and I put weight in the nose, under and behind the cockpit and it just balanced. Ok, different kit so you may have more or less room.

Good luck!

Pete

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

I haven't dug the FROG kit out yet but it isn't nearly as detailed or delicate.

Hi Adrian,

I compared the Frog kit to the Heller and Airfix ones quite recently. Dimensionally and shapewise they are almost 1:1 behind the cockpit rear wall but the Heller nose is clearly smaller than the Frog. I think the latter one is more correct. It looks me that the Heller windsreen is too short. If the front frame is removed it will be correct lenght and this cumulates to the other dimensions of the nose. One possible way to correct it I was thinking to heat-stretch a new front fuselage using the kit parts as a pattern. Or use the Frog nose in either the Heller or the Airfix (with fins too)  kits.

It would be interesting to hear what opinion others have about this issue and see the possible ways to overcome it.

Cheers,

AaCee

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Black Knight said:

PS. The Airfix and Heller kits are the same kit

Unless we're talking about the Heller FB.5 and the Airfix T.11?

5 minutes ago, Dave Swindell said:

The Vampire wasn't fitted with an ejection seat.

Depends upon the operator, RAF single seaters didn't but Swiss ones were.

1 minute ago, Dave Swindell said:

True, I'd forgotten them, and the French Mistral version as well, but you'd need to move the cockpit rear bulkhead back a bit to get the seat in the correct position.

Yeah, the Heller Mistral has the same cockpit parts as the Vampire which I suspect is true to the real thing.

1 hour ago, Black Knight said:

I made my 5 into a 9 of 502 squadron and it was fitted with an ej seat (photo evidence used)

WA309 was built as an FB5.

The FB9 was a tropicalised FB5, no ejection seat.

I'd certainly be interested in seeing the photo evidence as I'm not aware of any conversions

There's a good photo of it 2/3 of the way down the page here, no ejection seat

https://www.pprune.org/aviation-history-nostalgia/354789-raf-bovingdon-1960s-15.html

Cockpit crop:-

502sqn-Vampire.jpg

2 hours ago, Black Knight said:

Airfix FB.5 and Heller FB.5 = same kit

I'm well aware of that!  Was AaCee talking about the Airfix boxing of the Heller single seater or was her comparing the Heller FB.5 to the Airfix T.11 from the cockpit aft?

Last time I made one of these I glued some offcuts of sheet lead to the rear of the cockpit aft bulkhead, didn't half make the fuselage section feel like it might do damage to somebody if you chucked it at them!  Not something I'm advocating BTW.

3 hours ago, Wez said:

Was AaCee talking about the Airfix boxing of the Heller single seater or was her comparing the Heller FB.5 to the Airfix T.11 from the cockpit aft?

Ji,

Trainer as Adrian was talking about the Airfix T.11 and Frog kits. That's why I mentioned the fin and rudder in case of Airfix meaning the T.11. In fact I didn't remember that the Heller single was packed also by Airfix...

Cheers,

AaCee

Edited by AaCee26

I found my FROG kit. Compared to the Heller, the fuselage is almost a perfect match:

3-FDBFE4-F-9-DB2-4-FD9-934-B-47-E8-FBEBE

The Heller kit clearly outclasses the FROG in detail and refinement in almost every department:

2-F49200-C-C283-4-F22-8668-432-EFF82-B6-

However, the FROG kit is more reliably moulded, whereas the Heller kit has some hints of short shots in wing and fin trailing edges.

• Like 1

Nice comparison Adrian. I agree the Heller beats the Frog example, however the closeness to fuselage shape and length is quite Interesting. Shame your Heller example has a few short shots, however I’m sure it’s all repairable. 
Cheers.. Dave 

• Thanks 1

Well I couldn't resist picking up the Airfix re-box for under a tenner incl postage on Ebay. The decal sheet has given me a "get out of jail free" card for the sharkmouth issue pointed out by @Wez:

AD819848-7-F1-D-4-E59-9-B71-5-F79-E6-B83

So now I have to choose between red eyeliner and black iris vs black eyeliner and red iris!

• Like 4