1/72 De Havilland Vampire FB.5 (#283) - Finished

AdrianMF

Somewhat unbelievably, the decals went on without a fight! The Heller ones were wonderful, and I swapped out the Shark markings with the Airfix boxing to get the black mouth with red lips. I had to trim the decals down for the doors it’s all done:

320116-F4-6878-49-FC-8375-910-ED7472-D99

I will give the decals a trim around the doors when they are dry and then a coat of future to pull it all together.

Sometimes decals are a struggle, sometimes they redeem a model. Feeling a lot happier now:

5666-B4-E6-3-AA0-4-D24-AA3-B-8-A8-FA8-A8

I note, though, that Heller give you “no step” markings for the French version but not the RAF one? Does this reflect reality or is it an omission? The Airfix boxing provides the markings for its RAF camouflaged version.

Maybe with camouflage they couldn’t see where they weren’t meant to walk?

• Like 6

• AdrianMF changed the title to 1/72 De Havilland Vampire FB.5 (#283) - decals on
23 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

I note, though, that Heller give you “no step” markings for the French version but not the RAF one? Does this reflect reality or is it an omission? The Airfix boxing provides the markings for its RAF camouflaged version.

Maybe with camouflage they couldn’t see where they weren’t meant to walk?

No Adrian,

It just shows that the Brits are careful where they walk. The French on the other hand, need to be told at all time where to put their feet...

Ask my wife.

Great build, really! Heller have indeed come a long way with the quality of their decals.

JR.

• Haha 2

Well, thanks to @Wez again, I’ve now added some “Keep Off” decals from an unused scheme on the Airfix boxing in a sneaky “working from home” break:

FDBAD8-F9-9-AC5-4643-80-A7-1994-C636431-

I will let them dry and then hopefully I can gloss coat it and finish off tonight.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, AdrianMF said:

The only slight problem is they are all about 6 foot 5 in 1/72!

I thought he looked quite chunky! Not sure he’d fit in that plane. There was a USAAF 8th AF pilot who was that size. But that was a roomy P-51D. I suspect the Vampire was (is) a bit tighter. Still, he looks very impressive in front!

Cheers,

2 minutes ago, Johnson said:

he looks very impressive in front!

I’ve been having a bit of a push for figures in front of parked aircraft recently. It makes them look more relevant and interesting to me. I did some architectural 1/100 figures for an Mi-4, some Dapol/Airfix civilians for a Simoun (Xmas Blitzenbuild, not here) and I’ve just got a set of Zvezda ground crew to go with a Po-2. The Zvezda figures are excellent. I’ve given them all a 0.5mm pin in the leg and if you look closely you can see pinholes on the base so I can arrange the figures without individual bases.

• Like 1

Hi Adrian,

great build. The paint job is superb!

The figure painting is awesome (I try the A word from time to time, t see what it feels like to be young and silly...).

Congratulations!

JR

Edited by jean
  • Thanks 1

• AdrianMF changed the title to 1/72 De Havilland Vampire FB.5 (#283) - Finished
5 hours ago, jean said:

The paint job is superb

Thanks Jean. You have Mr Halford and his rattle cans to thank for that. I brush painted and stripped it twice before giving up and spraying. I don't know what I was doing wrong - I can normally get an OK finish on a small silver model, like my D.501 earlier in the build, but it wouldn't play ball this time.

BTW I hope your weather is going better now...

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1

I have one of these and I have to admit it doesn’t look like anything to get excited about in the box, but that’s a super job you’ve done in it.