No. 282 Supermarine Spitfire XVIE

BlackAck

So, 2020 hasn't been great for me on the modelling front, so I hope this group build will restore my mojo.  I will endeavour to complete this build come heller or high water...

50530024583_d887b30398_w.jpg

So this build will essentially be OOB with the exception of some PE belts from the spare box and the excellent decal set from Freightdog covering the Weekend Warriors  of the RAuxAF 1948-1953.  If the modelling gods smile on me and keep the carpet monster docile, and gift me time, I will also attempt another Heller XVIE using the Xtradecal set (x721182), exact scheme TBD.

Here is today's progress:

50530904552_d1f09f5185_w.jpg

• Like 5

Welcome aboard Black Ack, hopefully this GB will revive your mojo and go some way towards having a better end to 2020.  

Looking forward to seeing this Heller Spit and that AM decal sheet combine to make a lovely XVI.

Cheers and best of luck.. Dave.  

Thanks Dave.

The modelling gods have indeed smiled on me this week, that and I have been stuck on some really long conference calls.  This is my progress thus far:

50543859916_d334643632_w.jpg

This is the first spitfire kit I've built in about 20 years, so I'd forgotten what a good looking aeroplane she is.  This post-war silver and red RAuxAF scheme really makes her pop. 

Enough drooling, back to modelling.  The only thing I've had to model is the headrest/canopy actuator behind the cockpit as the original piece was a first course for the carpet monster, so I used the kit part from my other XVIe as a template and built a new piece out of styrene.

• Like 3

This weekend's progress thus far:

50555920376_376e312aed_w.jpg

The Freightdog decals went on just fine.  The undercarriage legs, wheels, and prop have been painted too.  The spinner and plate need an airbrush squirt of red but it's raining cats, dogs, and hamsters today.  

Edited by BlackAck
  • Like 5

Hi @BlackAck

Great to see this version of the famous Spitfire in the GB.  Not one I've built myself, so a chance to see something different. 

The colour scheme you have chosen should really show this one off.

Good luck with the rest of the build.

Cheers Pat 

And she's finished!  I give you Spitfire LF. MkXVIe, HT-L,  SL727 of 601 (County of London) Squadron, RAF North Weald, 1949

50581297786_8ba09f34fe_z.jpg

There are more photos in the GB Gallery.  One more for the road...

Edited by BlackAck
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...