Two Cessna Bird Dogs in the hand ...

klr

gee you have had some dramas with this build. I don't remember my father having any real dramas with the original release, he didn't have access to filler back then in NZ. The fit was great other than the fragile U/c legs. Maybe the moulds are starting to show their age (first released in 1973). I did see there is quite a few AM correction set available to fix those issues you found.

But at least you have managed to over come these issues and continued on with them, they are coming along nicely.

I've been making very slow progress on my kits over the past few days, including this. But I am further along, with most of the decals now applied, as well as a second coat of paint on the wings. Some cleaning up around the roundels is still required.

DSC01436_dre_020.jpg

The yellow and black checker band was ... difficult. I ruined the first one, but with two kits, I had a spare, and took much greater care with that one. As per the photo above, part of the band goes over the very front section of the tail.

• Like 4

Finally getting places:

DSC01438_dre_020.jpg

... and now all the decals applied to this aircraft. The main undercarriage struts on both aircraft are very delicate (thanks to my modifications), and have had to be reattached several times.

DSC01440_dre_025.jpg

The black underwing panels on the USAF aircraft are about 24 inches wide, according to the instructions from a 2008 re-box. Just over 8mm, not the 12.5mm in the instructions, which would be 1/48.

DSC01439_dre_020.jpg

• Like 3

I do like these builds a lot.

hmmm never just rely on instructions, half the time they're done by lazy people, who often just look at museum pieces for reference. Your best bet is to always try and find period photos if you can or some proper reference source.

• 2 weeks later...

Progress has been miserably slow on the kit front for the past couple of weeks, for a variety of reasons. This picture is from December 5th:

DSC01442_dre_025.jpg

The kits have reached the "touching up" stage, of which there may be quite a bit. Anyway, I will try and get them over the line by the end of the week.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/10/2020 at 9:25 PM, modelling minion said:

We have got an extension to almost the end of the month now klr so no need to rush these, especially as they both look really good.

So I had noticed! But I still won't get them finished, as they are currently, well, far, far way away. I could have brought them with me on the long drive* back to stay with and meet my family**, and finished them during the Christmas break, but they would have required very careful storage, being so delicate. I should of course have finished them before then, but it has been a crazy time, as I'm sure people will appreciate.

*I don't drive, so one of my brothers came and collected me - a long round trip for him. The journey was very smooth - the fact that (so prone to travel sickness) I never even came close to getting queasy is proof of that. Maybe the Bird Dogs would have survived.

**Insofar as is possible at the moment. I know there are many other forum members not so lucky at this time. I had hardly seen my family for the last 9 months.

• Like 2

Really sorry that these won't make the deadline klr as they were both looking really good.

I completely understand why you aren't taking them with you and that family comes first, I'm having to self isolate until the 29th so don't get to see anyone other than my household, but its the right thing to do.

I would like to see how they both turn out so if you could either carry on in this thread or share a link to when you have finished them that would be great.

Hope you have a great Christmas.

Hi Kir, sorry to hear you won't be able to complete them in time, bit that's very understandable.

It's been great to follow what you have done so far. The build threads will still be open after the build has finished so please feel free to add to this one as you can. I know there are still many interested followers.

I do hope you've had and are having an enjoyable Christmas with your family.