Aircraft I've Flown Part II - 1/144 Cityflyer ATR-72

19 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Some really clean mouldings there....!! 🤣

If only...! At least once they were cleaned up they look quite accurate and nicely detailed.👍

I glued the fuselage together and applied some filler along the seams - I think it will need a bit, but nowhere need as much as on my first ATR:

f1.jpg

The tailplanes can be seen in the background, along with the undercarriage insert - a fair bit of work will be needed to fit that into place nicely...!

I also cut out the wing sections and again made the mating surfaces as flat as possible:

w1.jpg

These will be glued together next. So far, it's coming together surprisingly quickly and easily!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Back in the Saddle said:

So far, it's coming together surprisingly quickly and easily!

Oh dear, hope you haven't witched it there Matt...!! :)

Actually some of the surface details look quite nice in the pics.

Keith

On 08/10/2023 at 13:52, keefr22 said:

Oh dear, hope you haven't witched it there Matt...!! :)

So do I! 😁

It's still progressing nicely, although a few challenges have popped up along the way...

My first challenge is to fix the gap where the undercarriage is located. The pieces in the kit are poor, but sufficient. The large, central piece went in first, with some scrap sprue glued behind it so I can glue the retracted wheels onto something. Note the two identical gear doors at the bottom of the picture - they should be left/right handed, not the same:

u1.jpg

The gear door issue is more obvious here, once these were glued into place. Apart from the poor finish and fit, the closer one is also upside down - you can see the curvature is completely wrong. My plan is to build this up area and then blend it to the correct contours:

u2.jpg

Some milliput was then liberally applied to both this area and the nose bay recess:

u3.jpg

Some energetic sanding should sort this out! Whilst the milliput dries, the engine nacelles will receive some attention...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/10/2023 at 14:08, keefr22 said:

Sure you'll show it who's boss though Matt!

I hope so!

Not much to report, as I've been away for a few days. However, the undercarriage insert has been sanded and looks much smoother - I'm sure the primer will highlight a few deficiencies though!:

bld.jpg

Much like the previous kit, this one is needing a fair bit of fettling into shape!

• Like 2