Jump to content

Aircraft I've Flown Part II - 1/144 Cityflyer ATR-72


Recommended Posts

That's scrubbing up very nicely Matt!

 

I'm currently 'working on' an Italeri ATR-42 - I think it might be just as bad a kit as this one - best bit about it is the props that I got from Harry @Bangseat, I'm glad you mentioned them in an earlier post! :)

 

Keith

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Back in the Saddle said:

The blue is on:

 

scf.jpg

 

I am now working on the undercarriage and propellors, then it will be decals and RFI!

 

Wow! Ever thought about taking up gem-cutting as a hobby? I can't believe that we're looking at the same kit in comparison to the "build / carving grinding" phase. 😁

 

37 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

I'm currently 'working on' an Italeri ATR-42 - I think it might be just as bad a kit as this one 

 

Keith

 

Oh Dear.....Have you just disqualified yourself from the club competition?  😛

 

mike

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, mitchem said:

 

 

 

Oh Dear.....Have you just disqualified yourself from the club competition?  😛

 

mike

 

Nope, it was never going to be finished in time, hateful little kit....!! 

 

K

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

Nice coverage with the blue

Thanks Ray - it has improved the appearance quite a bit!

 

10 hours ago, keefr22 said:

That's scrubbing up very nicely Matt!

 

I'm currently 'working on' an Italeri ATR-42 - I think it might be just as bad a kit as this one - best bit about it is the props that I got from Harry @Bangseat, I'm glad you mentioned them in an earlier post! :)

Thanks Keith. Glad that Harry could help! Far better props than those in the kit…

 

9 hours ago, mitchem said:

Wow! Ever thought about taking up gem-cutting as a hobby? I can't believe that we're looking at the same kit in comparison to the "build / carving grinding" phase. 😁

Thanks Mike. I’ll give gem-cutting a miss, this has been a tedious enough process! It certainly looks better than it did, but it is far from perfect…!

 

8 hours ago, keefr22 said:

hateful little kit....!! 

I could say that about this one too! 😁

 

I’m currently working on the main gear wheels, trying to make them circular… I believe that’s the traditional shape for these items - not the strange polygons supplied in the kit.🧐

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sorry had to smile about the tail fins sticking to the pegs. Something that would happen to me for sure. 🤣

you have been through the mill with this one but she’s looking good now it’s all said and done. Looking forward to the decals.

 

Johnny

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, The Spadgent said:

Sorry had to smile about the tail fins sticking to the pegs. Something that would happen to me for sure. 🤣

Surely you wouldn't make a schoolboy error like that! 😁 I'm relived to know I'm not the only one!

 

1 hour ago, The Spadgent said:

you have been through the mill with this one but she’s looking good now it’s all said and done. Looking forward to the decals.

It's a kit I wouldn't touch again! She won't be perfect (I cannot fix those droopy wings) but she should look OK. It's a nice to model to have on the shelf, being my first airliner when I started out.🙂 The decals should transform her again!

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 5 weeks later...

This one keeps getting pushed to one side, due to various issues, then looked at again when I feel I can face the challenges!

 

Talking of which, here are the undercarriage components:

 

uca.jpg

 

All very rough(!), with the exception of the immaculate 3D printed nosewheels supplied by @Bangseat - cheers Harry! The originals were binned long ago, as they were simply appalling. My challenge is to fashion something usable from these, using some plastic rod/sheet too, in an attempt to make something that looks like this:

 

wbd.jpg

 

Wish me luck...!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 19/10/2021 at 11:53, keefr22 said:

Good luck!! :)

Thanks Keith!

 

The model is now sitting on its wheels:

 

pns.jpg

 

The undercarriage doors are also in that picture, if you look very hard...

 

I decided to put the decals on. This kit never fails to disappoint - this time the ink rubbed off the backing, leaving the "British Airways" titles looking rather bare:

 

dcs.jpg

 

The windscreen decals also look wrong - a bit too oversized perhaps?

 

I will fix the titles then I'm calling this one done - I've had enough of it now!

  • Sad 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Oh good grief, this is as good an advert to not buy a kit as I think I've ever seen.... :(

 

And as I looked at the first pic I thought you'd really beaten it into submission Matt and it was coming on really nicely - then the second one...:fraidnot:

 

Real shame as it's a good looking aeroplane.

 

Keith

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Chemguy3000 said:

Oh my. :crying:After all the effort you have put into this, that last shot is pretty heartbreaking.  Could you perhaps print a replacement?

That’s my plan - it should be an easy fix. Very annoying though, it’s the final sting in the tail from this kit…

 

1 hour ago, keefr22 said:

Oh good grief, this is as good an advert to not buy a kit as I think I've ever seen.... :(

 

And as I looked at the first pic I thought you'd really beaten it into submission Matt and it was coming on really nicely - then the second one...:fraidnot:

 

Real shame as it's a good looking aeroplane.

Thanks Keith, I won’t be buying this kit again!

 

Having said that, as this one did not live up to my expectations and I would still quite like an ATR-72 on my shelf I may invest in the injection molded version from the same manufacturer… They appear to build into something more presentable!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...