Aircraft I've Flown Part II - 1/144 Cityflyer ATR-72

13 hours ago, Back in the Saddle said:

The blue is on:

scf.jpg

I am now working on the undercarriage and propellors, then it will be decals and RFI!

Wow! Ever thought about taking up gem-cutting as a hobby? I can't believe that we're looking at the same kit in comparison to the "build / carving grinding" phase. 😁

37 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

I'm currently 'working on' an Italeri ATR-42 - I think it might be just as bad a kit as this one 

Keith

Oh Dear.....Have you just disqualified yourself from the club competition?  😛

mike

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

Nice coverage with the blue

Thanks Ray - it has improved the appearance quite a bit!

10 hours ago, keefr22 said:

That's scrubbing up very nicely Matt!

I'm currently 'working on' an Italeri ATR-42 - I think it might be just as bad a kit as this one - best bit about it is the props that I got from Harry @Bangseat, I'm glad you mentioned them in an earlier post! :)

Thanks Keith. Glad that Harry could help! Far better props than those in the kit…

9 hours ago, mitchem said:

Wow! Ever thought about taking up gem-cutting as a hobby? I can't believe that we're looking at the same kit in comparison to the "build / carving grinding" phase. 😁

Thanks Mike. I’ll give gem-cutting a miss, this has been a tedious enough process! It certainly looks better than it did, but it is far from perfect…!

8 hours ago, keefr22 said:

hateful little kit....!! 

I could say that about this one too! 😁

I’m currently working on the main gear wheels, trying to make them circular… I believe that’s the traditional shape for these items - not the strange polygons supplied in the kit.🧐

• Like 2

Sorry had to smile about the tail fins sticking to the pegs. Something that would happen to me for sure. 🤣

you have been through the mill with this one but she’s looking good now it’s all said and done. Looking forward to the decals.

Johnny

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Spadgent said:

Sorry had to smile about the tail fins sticking to the pegs. Something that would happen to me for sure. 🤣

Surely you wouldn't make a schoolboy error like that! 😁 I'm relived to know I'm not the only one!

1 hour ago, The Spadgent said:

you have been through the mill with this one but she’s looking good now it’s all said and done. Looking forward to the decals.

It's a kit I wouldn't touch again! She won't be perfect (I cannot fix those droopy wings) but she should look OK. It's a nice to model to have on the shelf, being my first airliner when I started out.🙂 The decals should transform her again!

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

This one keeps getting pushed to one side, due to various issues, then looked at again when I feel I can face the challenges!

Talking of which, here are the undercarriage components:

uca.jpg

All very rough(!), with the exception of the immaculate 3D printed nosewheels supplied by @Bangseat - cheers Harry! The originals were binned long ago, as they were simply appalling. My challenge is to fashion something usable from these, using some plastic rod/sheet too, in an attempt to make something that looks like this:

wbd.jpg

Wish me luck...!

• Like 2

On 19/10/2021 at 11:53, keefr22 said:

Good luck!! :)

Thanks Keith!

The model is now sitting on its wheels:

pns.jpg

The undercarriage doors are also in that picture, if you look very hard...

I decided to put the decals on. This kit never fails to disappoint - this time the ink rubbed off the backing, leaving the "British Airways" titles looking rather bare:

dcs.jpg

The windscreen decals also look wrong - a bit too oversized perhaps?

I will fix the titles then I'm calling this one done - I've had enough of it now!

• Sad 4

Oh good grief, this is as good an advert to not buy a kit as I think I've ever seen.... :(

And as I looked at the first pic I thought you'd really beaten it into submission Matt and it was coming on really nicely - then the second one...:fraidnot:

Real shame as it's a good looking aeroplane.

Keith

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Chemguy3000 said:

Oh my. :crying:After all the effort you have put into this, that last shot is pretty heartbreaking.  Could you perhaps print a replacement?

That’s my plan - it should be an easy fix. Very annoying though, it’s the final sting in the tail from this kit…

1 hour ago, keefr22 said:

Oh good grief, this is as good an advert to not buy a kit as I think I've ever seen.... :(

And as I looked at the first pic I thought you'd really beaten it into submission Matt and it was coming on really nicely - then the second one...:fraidnot:

Real shame as it's a good looking aeroplane.

Thanks Keith, I won’t be buying this kit again!

Having said that, as this one did not live up to my expectations and I would still quite like an ATR-72 on my shelf I may invest in the injection molded version from the same manufacturer… They appear to build into something more presentable!

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Three months later (and a shiny new 787 type rating!) it's time to return to this model!

I had to print out some decals for my 727 Utopia project, so added a "British Airways" title to the sheet for this kit:

desh.jpg

I can now finally repair the titles and start to progress with this kit again👍.

• Like 4

You're getting good at this decal printing lark Matt - they look great!

Is the 727 the one that was operated in South Africa?

Keith

Edit - sorry I didn't notice the link to your other decal thread, so now realise it wasn't that 727! Off to have a proper read of that thread now!

On 01/02/2022 at 23:35, The Spadgent said:

Never leave a kit behind and all that. 🙌

I've been sorely tempted!! 😁

The replacement decals for the more badly affected letters were cut from my sheet. The more minor damage on the other letters will be fixed with a dab from a navy blue permanent marker pen. After taking this photo I removed the letter 'A' from the replacement, as I belatedly noticed that this section did not actually need fixing...!

rpr.jpg

I'll apply the fix and see how it looks!

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

You may remember this build - I return to it very occasionally from time to time!

With the realisation that the build is actually 99% done, I thought a concerted effort to get it over the finishing line would do wonders for my morale with this kit 🙂.

The outstanding items are essentially fabricating some undercarriage doors and painting the props.

The appalling doors which came with the kit were shown in an earlier post (19th October, further up this page), so I raided my stash and grabbed this one - a future ATR-72 build if I can be bothered!

bxy.jpg

The reason for my reluctance to start this one should be evident from the sprue shot:

spru.jpg

Very basic with tons of flash! However, I think a decent ATR-72 could be lurking inside all that excess plastic - you just need to look hard to find it!

The parts I'm interested in are the undercarriage doors, marked above in red. These were removed to be used as a pattern for the current build:

drs.jpg

The first problem is that they are both left (or right!) handed doors - not a symmetrical pair... I used the shape to start cutting some plastic sheet to the appropriate size. Upon checking online references, I realised these doors are an incorrect shape. I made some tweaks then painted them blue:

blu.jpg

Not perfect, but neither is the rest of this kit! The blue strip in the clothes peg will be used for nose gear doors, they just need cutting to size.

Hopefully the end is nigh!

• Like 7

• 1 month later...

I’m calling this one done👍.

The RFI link is here. It’s not pretty, but it looks a bit like an ATR-72!

I will give this thread a rest for a while, before started the other ATR-72 kit. In the meantime, I am going to tackle another resin kit, an AA-5A produced by @Bangseat - hopefully starting that one very soon!

Thanks for the support and encouragement along the way, I’m glad it’s finally finished.

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

Just found your build thread, very nice.

I had a close look at the F-Rsin ATR72 kit in my stash and was very surprised to see this kit is badly moulded with lots of flash. The good part is the decal is nicely printed, better than the NZ livery that I bought for this plane. 
I may start the build after I finished my Twin Otter……it will probably be next year.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/09/2023 at 17:25, Cklasse said:

Just found your build thread, very nice.

I had a close look at the F-Rsin ATR72 kit in my stash and was very surprised to see this kit is badly moulded with lots of flash. The good part is the decal is nicely printed, better than the NZ livery that I bought for this plane. 
I may start the build after I finished my Twin Otter……it will probably be next year.

Thank you - I hope your build is more pleasurable than mine...

As I mentioned (over a year ago now!), I also have the F-RSIN injection molded kit in my stash. Here's a reminder of the box:

xt1.jpg

And the contents:

xt2.jpg

Finally the decals:

xt3.jpg

I'm hoping this one will go together better than the the resin version! As you can see, lots of flash, but some nice detail included too.

It will need a fair bit of work, but I need a build project for the autumn/winter months - this one was still on the bench from last year so was nominated!

It will be finished as G-BXTN, but in the "Whale Rider" Utopia scheme, which is how I remember this one from my City Flyer days.

Wish me luck!

• Like 2

On 03/10/2023 at 23:00, keefr22 said:

Good luck Matt...!! :)

Cheers Keith! 😁

I made a start this afternoon, contacting a friend who has a library of reference photos. Hopefully he will be able to provide me with some images to help put this together.

I've decided it will be built 'wheels up' - I'm not that much of a glutton for punishment that I want to attempt to make a usable undercarriage from the misshapen pieces of plastic supplied in the kit! I also have a set of resin props, printed for me by @Bangseat a couple of years ago for my first ATR model - these are a huge improvement on the kit offering and will be a welcome addition to this model:

rsn.jpg

The fuselage halves were cut out first and the mating surfaces sanded to remove any bumps. I have added some scrap plastic in the wheel bays, to give me something to glue onto at a later stage when I'm attaching the retracted gear:

scr.jpg

Once these bits have set I will close up the fuselage.👍

• Like 3