Aircraft I've Flown Part II - 1/144 Cityflyer ATR-72

On 18/11/2020 at 16:40, Moa said:

Oh, that's personal now. That kit is malignant! 

I'm inclined to agree with you! 😄 It certainly wasn't the 'quick, easy build' that I was expecting! However, despite not working on it as often as I should, I certainly find getting something achieved is rewarding - you appreciate a finished model more when you know what went into it!

Time for a small update. I had to mix up some milliput earlier today for my 747 build, so thought it would be the ideal time to turn my attention to the engines and build them up as required:

milli.jpg

All very rough at the moment but the general shape is good - they might need some more attention after sanding...

In lieu of visiting the gym, I have sanded the tailplanes. I thought they were now OK, but macro photography shows a bit more effort is still required to thin the aerofoils further:

tp2.jpg

I have also filled yet more pinholes in the wings and fuselage - I must surely have found them all now!

• Like 4

I had a very therapeutic session with a sanding block this afternoon, shaping the engine nacelles:

nac.jpg

A coat of primer is required again on pretty much all the components, to show which bits might need more attention. At some point I will have to consider trying to salvage those propellors too...!

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

All a bit quiet on this build at the moment...

I have taken a look at the props today and they *might* be salvageable - if not, I will look at getting some 3d printed as replacements. Any tips or suggestions for getting this done?

On a separate topic, does anybody know what has happened to Moa? I've just noticed his account is now frozen... I enjoyed following his builds!

I think the preparation on the wings and fuselage is now complete, so I have epoxied them together:

won.jpg

Once the joint has been filled I will prime the whole thing to check for any blemishes👍.

The tailplanes will be attached as late as possible, to avoid any potential damage. If I can get the props looking semi-decent they will go on at the end along with the undercarriage. I feel this 'quick build' (😄) is finally making some progress...

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
On 29/01/2021 at 18:57, Chrisj2003 said:

Matt, looking very smooth now. 

Thanks Chris. 👍

Another coat of primer has been applied:

yell.jpg

There are still a few areas needing attention! Good weather is forecast for a few days, so I'm hoping to progress all my builds over the next week - some are overstaying their welcome on my bench! 

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

I can't believe it's been another two months since I last updated this build!

Basically, every time another model on the bench needed filling/sanding I did a bit on this one too. However, I'm sure this one has been sprouting pinholes - every time I thought I had filled them all another one appeared!

Here's a shot from a couple of weeks ago:

fills.jpg

It looks far better now - I'm hoping the next update will finally show the fuselage in smooth gloss white...

I don't think I ever posted a shot of the subject aircraft, due to copyright issues with all the images I found online. However, the following shots are from my own personal collection, which I stumbled across yesterday in an old photo album (remember those!) - I thought it would be worth scanning them and showing the aircraft I'm slowly building:

bwtm1.jpg

Here's a close up of the 'Benyhone' tail scheme, taken on a rather dull and wet day:

bwtm2.jpg

Apart from the almost constant filling and sanding, the other major issue with this kit was the quality of the resin propellers and nose wheels. Fortunately @Bangseat has come to the rescue and after sending him a few photos, he came up with the following 3d model - shown alongside the awful originals:

3d.jpg

Once they are printed the model should be ready for finishing... cheers Harry!

• Like 9

On 24/04/2021 at 21:04, major_bloodnok said:

That second pic looks like it was taken at Duesseldorf?

I not sure - it's a 6" x 4" in my photo album with no date or time... However, as our main routes were Bremen, Hannover and Düsseldorf it seems very likely!

I had planned to paint the model next, but decided that fitting the tailplane first would be more sensible - I just know it will need several rounds of filling and sanding! 😁

To make a support I clamped two pegs onto the fin and then epoxied the tailplane into place:

pegs.jpg

I will also get the flap fairings attached before spraying the white. These are supplied in the kit, but are so bad I will make some new ones from plasticard. The replacement props are also ready, so will be a huge improvement on the warped bits of resin supplied in the box...

• Like 2

I left it to set overnight, then attempted to remove the pegs this morning. Unfortunately the epoxy had seeped out and also glued the tailplanes to the pegs, as well as gluing them to the fin... I pulled the tailplanes off, leaving me with this:

oops.jpg

With hindsight, I can see where my plan went wrong...! 😆

I will clean it up and have another go!

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 4

The good news is that the tailplane sections were easily removed from the pegs and are now awaiting extra fettling - I want to thin them down a bit more and work on their general shape too. I took delivery of a set of scribers today, so will re-apply the control surface detail before finding a better way to re-attach them! 😁

I also received a very useful package courtesy of @Bangseat today - thanks Harry! Some immaculate new 3d printed propellers and nose wheels will transform this model. They are pictured below, with the manky originals on the left and the shiny new ones on the right:

res.jpg

Once the tailplane is fixed I will turn my attention to these little beauties. 👍

• Like 7

Interesting build and illustrates exactly what I was trying to explain the other day on another thread. I would like to see a modern new injection kit of this aircraft and other similar.

Keith

• 1 month later...
On 06/05/2021 at 21:00, Britman said:

I would like to see a modern new injection kit of this aircraft and other similar.

That would be a welcome addition to the market!

I've been ignoring this build recently - too many other builds on the go and this one keeps giving me grief! I looked at it again today, and noticed the wings have drooped in the heat:

snap.jpg

When attempting to flex them back into position I snapped one off completely.😞 I might have to go back to ignoring this one again...

• Sad 4

Matt, your need to run hot water over the wings to flex them back into position and then douse them with cold water to get them to to stay there.

Having said that I have a Welsh Models P-8 with sagging wing tips that I did that to and not they are more of less back where they started about from 6 months ago when I fixed them.

• Sad 1

• 1 month later...
On 20/06/2021 at 01:19, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

Matt, your need to run hot water over the wings to flex them back into position and then douse them with cold water to get them to to stay there.

Thanks Ray. I haven't been ignoring you, I've been ignoring this kit - I thought that might happen after all the frustrations with it...!🙄

It's a bit of a dog to be honest and my interest has turned to other, much more buildable models.

However, the wing was repaired and the tailplanes glued with cyano:

tsr.jpg

Note the guest appearance from the Airfix 1/48 TSR-2, a model which has been a surprisingly fun build despite its reputation!

With the tailplane in place, I printed a copy of the fin decals to see how they fit around the aerofoil:

des.jpg

I think some dark blue will hide any gaps! I would have applied the decals before the tailplane, but guess what - they need filler!

The plan is to get this sprayed over the weekend whilst I'm using the same colours on my BA A380 build.

It will never be a masterpiece, but hopefully it will look presentable at the end of the build.

• Like 7

On 24/07/2021 at 15:30, DonH said:

I admire your stickability and fortitude. If it was me, it would have flown across the room into the round filing cabinet (this is where most of my builds end up).

Believe me, I've been tempted!

It all looks better with a coat of primer:

w.jpg

A few minor blemishes to fix, then it's time for the gloss coat. The propellers were 3d printed and supplied by @Bangseat at VFR models - thanks Harry, they look much better than the originals!

• Like 9

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...