Academy 1/35 M3 Stuart Honey [COMPLETED 13/12/2020].

Been having fun doing these WIPs on this site, so my next unfortunate victim is the venerable Stuart from Academy. I'm not a armour guy by any stretch, but occasionally I build things that don't fly. 

0007053_academy-135-british-m3-stuart-honey_328

This is the box art, and will be doing it in the Caunter scheme. Will be using Tamiya paints (my local Vallejo supplier is out of Portland Stone and Silver Grey) so will be using mixes suggested on the MAVFA site. Very informative. I would like to point out that I'm one of those weirdos who likes the very, very wrong light blue used on many old style schemes, but will be using the correct shade of silver grey this time around. 

20201024_203357

Been futzing with it whilst my MiG-21 is at the annoying end phase where there's plenty of time between stages, so getting prepped for the next project. 

I do have a question though, involving tracks. Specifically ones with rubber blocks on the tracks. Most tutorials do the steel only tracks so if anyone can link or show one with rubber pads I would appreciate it. 

Edited by Evil_Toast_RSA
  • Like 6

Finished the hull compartment to see what it looked like when complete, even though it was always going to be buttoned up. So, on the off chance this answers someone's question in future, that's what it looks like when assembled by someone who couldn't be bothered. Also, put in a plasticard spacer to eliminate the joint on the nose, dry fitting has shown a potential razor blade in the candyfloss of life in this area. I have now chased that gap to the running gear section, but that should be hidden by the tracks at the end. 

Got the side skirts on, the joins on the front  fenders is not pretty by any stretch of the imagination. Some putty will sort that out. The joins around the drivers hatch need some work, but nothing terribly drastic. 

Think I'm going to use the vinyl tracks, from what I've seen their pretty taut on the real thing so track sag isn't something to concern myself about. Plus doing individual link tracks is the number 1 reason I don't do armour much, so apathy scores another point. 

So, next up, going to start priming and painting the lower hull (seperately) soon, one or two more spots to clean up first. 

20201026_205507

• Like 8

Managed to assemble 98% of the kit, definitely not a complex build at all. Started painting the 3 elements in a custom dark brown mix using Tamiya XF-1(6):XF-9(1):XF-68(3) to represent the base steel, not a precise mix, did futz around a little bit getting it right. It's darker than the pic would suggest.

Next I'm going for the Olive Drab (thinking XF-62(2):XF-59/60?(1). Then onto Caunter. Trying to build up the colours as applied IRL and hopefully any natural "chipping" IE clumsiness will show through. That's the theory at least.... 

20201031_182625

Things may take a slowdown now, going to be finishing off my MiG-21 this week hopefully. 

Edited by Evil_Toast_RSA
Words
  • Like 13

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/11/2020 at 20:16, robw_uk said:

nice start... love the caunter scheme so looking forward to seeing yours

Don't! :banghead:It hasn't gotten off to good start, stripped everything off and started painting again since the last update! For some reason the paint was grainy in some areas, think the heat + IPA and high PSI whilst airbrushing was too blame. Broken out my summer paint pack of retarders/X-20A and it seems to be working.

• Like 1

Got the ball rolling. Mixed the Portland Stone as per MAVFA suggestions using Tamiya paint. XF-2 (6) + XF-57 (1) + XF-3 (1). Looks odd, but I'm not educated enough on the subject to rate a rank of Amateur. So, does that look right? Left it a bit patchy, will start on doing some fading tomorrow if the colour is correct?? 

20201113_222427

• Like 8

With that piece of good news, did the initial weathering on the Portland Stone using increasing increments of XF-2. Looks awfully bright, will tone that down with a filter of some sort. Probably XF-57 Buff? 

Also did the Slate turret roof using XF-24 (1) + XF-4 (1). Weathered that with incremental usage of XF-4. On a side note, I'm amazed at how close Slate Grey is to Olive Drab. Answers that niggling question about Lend Lease FAA stuff I have half an eye on. 

Next, masking and the application of the national marking around the 2" smoke launchers.

20201114_222330

• Like 8

Got the Silver Grey down and weathered. Used XF-21(7)+XF-19(1)+XF-4(1). Lightened it with increasing increments of XF-19. Must admit, the masking came out better than I thought! Next, a filter of XF-57 to tone/fade/make everything a bit dusty looking. Well, that's the theory at least :D! 

Also got the rubber bits done on the road wheels, a 1:1 of VMC 70.862 & 70.950. Did the exposed metal on the rear drive wheel in a 1:1 of VMC 70.950 & 70.872. 

20201117_212031

Edited by Evil_Toast_RSA
  • Like 9

very nice... one question though, was the rear wheel rubberised? looks similar to the M4 HST and sure that was just all metal (or rather thats how I painted it ;-))

3 hours ago, robw_uk said:

very nice... one question though, was the rear wheel rubberised? looks similar to the M4 HST and sure that was just all metal (or rather thats how I painted it ;-))

The later M5 I think was rubberized, but I'm trying to simulate the paint wearing off where it contacts the track over time + the effects of desert sand on the finish, hopefully :D! Used a black/brown chipping colour for the idler wheel. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Evil_Toast_RSA said:

The later M5 I think was rubberized, but I'm trying to simulate the paint wearing off where it contacts the track over time + the effects of desert sand on the finish, hopefully :D! Used a black/brown chipping colour for the idler wheel. 

The M3 did have a rubber tyre on the large idler wheel. Here's a photo of the one in the Patton Museum.

aa06b56c-7379-4c58-a830-936384665001.jpg

If you want to look at more M3 photos, have a look here;

http://svsm.org/gallery/M3_stuart_family

HTH's.

John.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update. Family time and a P-39 have been diverting some attention away from my Stuart, but been plugging away at it. 

Decals done (lol), decided to paint the national insignia on the skirts, turret sides and hull front (saw some research on this kit online and it looked like they applied one there too). Did some enamel washes to make it a bit grimy, still think I need to work on it tomorrow to neaten one or two areas up. 

20201130_223921

20201130_223934

20201130_225501

Edited by Evil_Toast_RSA
Added pic
  • Like 8

Did some weathering, staining, streaking and fading today with oils. I'm rather pleased with it. Now it gets to rest for a few days so the oils can dry a bit, then matt coat, chipping and some pigment work for the tracks and hull and done! Plus attaching .30 Cal to turret and radio aerial from some wire. 

20201206_143057

20201206_143112

20201206_143117

20201206_143120

Edited by Evil_Toast_RSA
Words
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Geo1966 said:

How is this as a kit? Fit of parts, details, etc.

I am considering getting the Airfix version which i belive is the same kit.

Thanks,

George

Yes, same kit with a different scheme and markings. 

I didn't have a problem with fit for the most part, only the part below was a bit of an issue. 

On 26/10/2020 at 21:19, Evil_Toast_RSA said:

Got the side skirts on, the joins on the front  fenders is not pretty by any stretch of the imagination. Some putty will sort that out. The joins around the drivers hatch need some work, but nothing terribly drastic. 

Detail I would say is adequate, but the kit price is very attractive (Airfix will charge more from what I've seen though) so it evens out for me at least. This is a bit of a subjective question though. The only thing I can add here that's not included in the pics is you get a different set of wheels and idlers (for an American version I'm assuming?) and a sprue with an extra turret mounted .50 cal and some extra gubbins like knapsacks and tools (American version again?) for your spares box. If your interested can upload a pic tonight.  

Accuracy I cannot comment on, it looks like a Stuart to me. Hopefully someone else may chime in here and elaborate on this.  

Thanks Gents, seems a reasonable kit for £18 ish then. Tempted by the Academy with the extra spares, but like the colour scheme of the Airfix. I appreciate the Airfix scheme is perhaps not 100% accurate as i have seen discussion on here about it before.