Airfix 1:35 Cromwells

StephenMG

Hi all,

I seem to be a bit behind the times and have only just noticed the pair of new tool Cromwells that are due from Airfix this winter in 1:35 scale. I've searched on here but can't see that they've been discussed at all which surprised me. Do we know much about them? I've built the Tamiya Cromwell and found it a fantastic kit - what areas are Airfix able to improve on over the Tamiya versions?

Thanks,

Mark

I’m surprised by this, not because we already have the Tamiya Cromwell but because this must be a new mould from Airfix.  I thought they were just reboxing old Academy stuff.

Actually, I’m quite excited if this is true because I’d written off the Airfix 1:35 AFV range as an unnecessary but if they are going to be doing new stuff then that’s much more interesting.

From what I understand, the Tamiya Cromwell is an early version and I’ve heard that the Airfix model will be a late version.

Very interested to see what Airfix have to offer.

Cheers,

Nigel

Yep, first new tool 1/35 armour from Airfix. The renders look very nice to be fair,

https://www.airfix.com/uk-en/cruiser-tank-mk-viii-a27m-cromwell-mk-vi.html

https://www.airfix.com/uk-en/cruiser-tank-mk-viii-a27m-cromwell-mk-iv.html

I've just noticed the side-opening driver's hatch so, as you say, a later version than Tamiya.

• Thanks 1

These have been discussed on forums, possibly under new kit news, rumourmonger or somesuch.  As I recall it stemmed from discussion of the then-new Airfix catalogue.

It seems that these are all-new moulds, and thus represent Airfix's first original tooling in 1/35.  Everything else they've done in that scale has used bought-in 3rd party moulds.  Their 1/32 AFVs were good for their time - early 80's - but are dated now.  And since then they have outsourced tooling to China.

I have heard from a local model store that release was delayed due to quality problems - but this should only be taken as a rumour.

As you say, they have avoided directly cloning the Tamiya versions and have apparently tooled what looks like a Type E or maybe Type F hull.  Cromwell IVs and VIs used both types.  So, a type post Final Specification / Battle Cromwell that is appropriate for operational use.  But basically the IV and VI are the limit of those moulds without re-tooling the upper hull.  Centaurs are out because none had hulls later than Type D.  Which is a pity because I'm sure a Dozer or AA would be popular, but these were both on Centaur IIIs with Type C hulls.  LIkewise a better Centaur IV is out as, although some Centaur VIs were contracted as Centaur IVs but completed as Centaur VIs, the Centaur IV used Type D and mostly Type C hulls.

I can't see the sense of making 2 kits as the IV and VI parts could easily be in the same box and I can't see the VI being a huge seller as they were not exactly common with only about 340 built from a total of about 2,300.  But, Airfix have left themselves open to kitting a re-worked post-war Cromwell 7 or 8 or - much more importantly - all 3 Marks of Charioteer.  Dare we hope for a Challenger or Avenger?,

I for one would like to see the Airfix mojo return with them tackling some more under-represented British and Commonwealth subjects - while steering clear of being drawn into yet more German AFVs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Das Abteilung said:

I for one would like to see the Airfix mojo return with them tackling some more under-represented British and Commonwealth subjects - while steering clear of being drawn into yet more German AFVs.

Agreed 100%. 👍

All the new releases from Airfix have been delayed, due in the main to Covid. Latest dates for some of the new releases is December, just in time for Christmas presents.

A rumour that was around at the time they announced is that the CAD etc had been developed by Tamiya. It makes some sense, perhaps Tamiya were looking at a new Cromwell version but didn't proceed and Airfix step in.

We'll see what they are like when they appear.

P

Edited by PDH
Spelling!

Potentially great news, and good on them for taking the job on - the Tamiya kit is a bit limited in possible applications. Plenty of 'options' for cross-kitting between the two, and for the after-market guys to make add-ons - wide tracks for one thing. It certainly opens up the possibilities. The hull types are useful too - type D (or E?) on the IV, and type F on the VI, add to the possibilities. Presumably, it wouldn't be beyond the wit of man to convert the Tyoe D/E to a welded hull variant either.

Is it just my imagination, or are the sprocket and/or idler mounted slightly too low - there doesn't seem to be quite enough sag in the top run of track? Something about the geometry in that area looks a teeny bit 'off' to my eye anyway.

On 10/26/2020 at 11:59 PM, PhilHendry said:

Is it just my imagination, or are the sprocket and/or idler mounted slightly too low - there doesn't seem to be quite enough sag in the top run of track? Something about the geometry in that area looks a teeny bit 'off' to my eye anyway.

There are some photos of an assembled test shot here - https://www.airfix.com/uk-en/news/workbench/first-frames-from-new-spitfire-vc-tooling. The track sag is much more apparent here than in the renders.

• Like 1

It looks good, but like everyone else they couldn't resist the hedge-cutting prongs on the front, which I believe were never actually used operationally? 

Gives it a meaner appearance though! 

There's a write up about them in the new Workbench released today, with details of box art and decal schemes included:

Workbench

Mk IV: 1st Royal Tank Regiment, 7th Armoured Division with a part whitewashed turret or Northamptonshire Yeomanry, 11th Armoured Division.

Mk VI: 2nd Tank Battalion, 1st Czechoslovak Independent Brigade Group (black and green camo) or 2nd Squadron, 10th Mounted Rifle Regiment, 1st Polish Armoured Division

I don't do much in 1/35 but both Mk VI's are very tempting. 

Andy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

• 2 weeks later...

Don't take to much credence on the Czech CS tank.  Photographs I have in a book on the Czech Cromwells clearly show the markings on the original SCC.15 background and lighter patches applied around them.  Their base colour of Humbrol 159 is off too, nothing like SCC.15.