1/350 HMS PUMA

Really stunning results Ralph, absolutely superb.

I don't think I'll get to see this yet as It looks like I'm not likely to make the Poole Vikings show as I'm still getting very positive Covid test results, and this is day 8. Also not feeling 100% yet still. 

Terry

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

Well despite the fact that I finished PUMA 4 months ago, I never actually found time to get the studio set up the studio to take the RFI photos.  There was a more pressing need to do so to photograph HECLA before the Falklands 40 GB gallery closed yesterday so with everything set up, i thought that was a good time to bring PUMA in as well.

RFI photos can be found here:

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 22/11/2020 at 11:16, Beard said:

I'm not a naval modeller but my late father served on the Puma's sistership, Jaguar, in the early sixties (he also served on the Heclar) so I'll be following along.

My dad also served on the Jaguar (59-63), it was his favourite ship that he served on. I've just bought this kit and will be making it as the Jaguar for him as a surprise.

This thread has given me so much information, I'm totally new to naval modelling, and all the research that goes with it, so I really appreciate the effort that has gone into it. Many many thanks.

If I do a decent job of it I'll post some pics once it's done. If you never hear from me again you'll know I ended up throwing it out of the window 🤣

• Like 3

I'm sure you'll be fine.  These Atlantic Modles kit go together pretty well out of the box and you should be able to get something that looks accurate without the extra stuff I went into for PUMA.

Don't forget though that if your dad was on board '59-'63, it will be before the solid mainmast and type 965 radar was fitted so you will need to revert back to the early configuration.  The PE in this kit does include a lattice mainmast but without checking my references I'm not sure what other changes were made when they were modified.

Do let us know how you get on.  We need more modellers building these cold war icons.

• Like 1

Thank you for the advice. The kit looks really nice and I'm looking forward to getting stuck in once I've done my research and prepped for it.

I haven't read the instructions for the set properly yet, but am I right in thinking that the pre-type 965 radar is the dome looking thing? Sorry, I'm not very well versed on RN ships and the terminology and I can't ask Dad or he'll guess what I'm doing! I've found a picture online with the lattice, the dome is just behind that. I can't find a way to attach pics to this to show you but I'm sure you know what I mean.

Cheers, your help is greatly appreciated.

• Thanks 1

• 5 months later...

Sorry for not responding Stevie, I think i missed the notifications that you'd posted.

You're absolutely right, the 965 AKE1 ("single bedstead") is the large lattice array on the mainmast.  The smaller dome on the deckhouse just aft of that is a visual sighting system.  The dome on the tope is made of canvas and folds back.  I did toy with the idea of cutting that away and showing the interior, but it would have been entirely built from memory of over 50 years ago as I couldn't find a single photo showing the cover stowed so decided that discretion was the better part of valour.

How's your build coming along?

• Like 1