1/350 HMS PUMA

21 minutes ago, Adm Lord De Univers said:

Blimey. Just blimey.

David

I'm with David - painting a dozen or so per ship for me is lightly tedious :confused:

Well done

BTW I think the Klear always dries to a satiney rather than a high gloss finish (Unless you plaster it on)

Rob

• Thanks 1

Started to add the figures but ran out of time to do many more as I was cooking dinner.  Apologies for the quality of the images - must get the SLR out to take the next batch and not rely on the phone camera!

51882699435_308198736f_b.jpg

(Before anyone asks, yes there is a roof still to go on the left luggage tent)

51882049336_86739ec1b1_b.jpg

• Like 17

More figures added though despite me thinking earlier that I had printed enough, for those who have ever been to a Navy Days you will hopefully agree with my assessment that on reflection it is nowhere near sufficient!  I've used almost all of my walking figures and the jetty is pretty much empty bar a small queue and a couple of lone photographers.  I think I've posted before that I still clearly remember being on the flight deck of HMS DIDO at Chatham in about 1969/70 with the ship listing a fair few degrees and the OOD closing the gangway to new visitors for safety having been told that there were over 3,000 on board, most of which were stood on the starboard waist watching the basin displays.

I also realised when adding these that I missed a trick in that none of the screen doors are open - I should have opened up probably the door on the quarterdeck and at least one of the bridge doors.  Too late now I'm afraid.  I also didn't consider the upperdeck route carefully enough as I will end up having a crossover which is never a good idea.  

51892669534_5b3be7a8f0_b.jpg

51892400473_de1ce19307_b.jpg

51892650289_577f9c8882_b.jpg

The next batch of 45 figures is curing under the UV lamp, there's a follow on set currently printing.

Thanks for watching

Edited by Chewbacca
Extra photo added
  • Like 19

1 hour ago, Chewbacca said:

More figures added though despite me thinking earlier that I had printed enough, for those who have ever been to a Navy Days you will hopefully agree with my assessment that on reflection it is nowhere near sufficient! 

Gidday Chewwy, don't worry about the insufficient visitors or the closed hatches (a good point though), think of this as a dress rehearsal for your next open day! 😁 3000? Quite a crowd.

Although not on the scale of yours this reminds me of an open day we had on our patrol boat (108 feet, 140 tons) in Fremantle West Oz many years ago. Overheard was a father and adult son as they approached the gangway:-

"Will we go onboard?"

"Yes, but don't sign ANYTHING!"    🙂       I think they thought they were going to be press ganged, or enlisted voluntarily military style.

It's a great model Chewwy. Regards, Jeff.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

5 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

I still clearly remember being on the flight deck of HMS DIDO at Chatham in about 1969/70 with the ship listing a fair few degrees

You should go on the Statue of Liberty ferry in choppy seas, on the mark of "to our right is the Statue" everyone jumped up and rushed over to one side...

Personally I think you've got a fair few visitors already, but you could just say it's closing-, lunch-, or parade- time? If you are feeling exceptionally brave, just remember that was only 3,000 onboard, who knows how many more were queueing up? :evil_laugh:

David

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 09/01/2022 at 11:32, robgizlu said:

Hi Chewbacca - Please report back - I'll be interested to know how you get on.  My Supply of Klear is near depletion, and as a creature of habit..............

Rob

Needed a break from painting copious quantities of figures so thought I'd give the decals a try out on the vehicles with the Pledge instead of Klear.  This is 3 coats of Pledge, then the home printed decals and then a 4th sealing coat of Pledge over the top.  I'm happy with the way that it created a a finish for the decals avoiding the silvering.  The decals settled down well despite the fact that the sides of the coach have a distinct ridged feel to them from the 3D printing - think Ju52 corrugations but in a very small scale!  Quite pleased with the finish even though it is near impossible to read the "Royal Navy" on the side of the Land Rover or Minivan.

51908120070_85469e3fe6_b.jpg

51907583688_71b3e6bfe7_b.jpg

Back to the figure painting...

• Like 9

After a good couple of sessions at the bench over the weekend, finished painting the latest batch of figures.  Note to self, if I ever plan to do something like this ever again, start doing 1/35 AFVs for a hobby!  I feel for those Napoleonic wargamers who have to paint thousands of troops to represent Waterloo.

I've added another couple of dozen on board and a few little vignettes such as the couple waving from alongside A turret while someone on the jetty takes their picture but I think I'm going to save the rest now for the jetty and I thought it made much more sense to put those on after I did the rigging because I can guarantee they will get knocked off otherwise.  So the last job yesterday was to fix the foremast and start making the jack and ensign staffs.  Next is halyards, whip aerials and dress ship lines.

51922373833_442cdcaedc_b.jpg

51921307472_f476cf292a_b.jpg

Thanks for watching

• Like 19

Amazing additions to the realism of the whole scene Ralph!

The ship alone looks superb, but these additional figures are incredible. The work you have put into them is quite simply amazing. Obtaining all those photographic releases from every individual must have taken you ages! 😁

Terry

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

On 3/7/2022 at 10:28 AM, Dancona said:

Chewy, this is brilliant, I just cant stop smiling when I look at it, certainly the most involved and imaginative way of displaying a ship model I have seen !!!

Couldn't agree more

Rob

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I hate rigging.  There, I've said it.  When I look at other people's ship models and see every single line perfectly in place, even down to the halyards being doubled up, I wonder how do they do it.

I must have spent 6 hours trying to do Puma's rigging and it was simplified with just a couple of halyards on the aft side of the foremast and three either side going up to the yard arms.  I was using Uschi-van-Rosten superfine line and it was so fine that even with an extremely well lit bench, as soon as the line was moved over the ship, I lost sight of it against the green deck and grey superstructure.  Which meant that by the time I finally got the free end anywhere near to the point where I wanted it to stick, the CA had cooked off.  In the end I resorted to holding a 6,000 lumen torch in my mouth while holding the line in the tweezers in one hand and the pin with the CA in the other.

But even that it wasn't enough because by the time I could see what I was doing, I realised that as the end of the line was getting near to the ship, there was a static reaction going on which meant the end would turn away when just millimetres from the attachment point.  And to make matters worse I ended up taking the mast off the ship to attach the halyards on the after side and managed to drop it which bent a couple of the halyards and broke the 3D printed ACH aerial that I'd spent hours trying to create last year.  Fortunately I was able to fix it though not as well as I would like as the vertical dipole is now too thick.  I might return to that and see if I can replace it with something thinner.

51950976249_ac194fc824_b.jpg

Annoyingly, having gone to all that effort, you can barely see them!

The dress ship lines were a little easier.  I replaced the PE ensign and jack staff tripods that came with the kit with ones made from 0.3 mm brass rod.  It's slightly overscale but it gives a better 3D representation and I needed something a bit beefier to take the stress of the dress ship lines which after the hassle with the halyards went on remarkably easily to my surprise.

51950742648_df430bdb8b_b.jpg

It was then onto the dress ship flags themselves which I was not looking forward to as I feared that they would not easily attach and would start to weight down the dress ships lines and cause them to sag.  Well pleased to report that apart from one - Flag Q, the yellow one below which you can see is slightly out of square - they all went on very easily and thus far have not caused any noticeable sag.  Watch this space when I get to the mainmast to ensign staff run I guess which is the longest of them all.  the technique I used to attach them was to dip the end of each flag in PVA glue, wipe off 90% of what was on there and very carefully, holding the flag in the tweezers, inch it toward the dress ship line until it made contact.  In most cases they took straight away.  Still a lot to do but should get those squared away this weekend.  I can see light at the end of the tunnel (hoping it's not an express training coming the other way!) and I'm aiming to have this done in time for the Viking's Show next month in Poole if anyone is coming.

51950667576_3a3b8eaf75_b.jpg

Thanks for watching

• Like 15

On 07/03/2022 at 05:28, Dancona said:

Chewy, this is brilliant, I just cant stop smiling when I look at it, certainly the most involved and imaginative way of displaying a ship model I have seen !!!

:ditto:    She's a beauty & an awesome presentationl.  Well worth the the time & effort.  An inspiration to us all.

John

• Thanks 1

Dress ship looking good.  There are a couple where there appears to be a white line at the halyard / upper edge (Zulu, Charlie); maybe a run along the top with a paint brush?  I know that signal flags in real life have a strip of un-coloured bunting where the halyard bit runs, but at this scale it kind of draws the eye away (and that would be a real shame, cos it’s great!)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks everyone for your kind words and thanks especially to Crisp for spotting that white edge - I hadn't noticed it until you pointed it out!  I've done those but having put the rest of the flags on I've now looked harder and noticed that I have a few more to touch up when the PVA has set.

Also added a few more figures on board, replaced all of the ones I'd knocked off while doing the rigging, added the whip aerials and started to add people to the jetty.  Only about another 70 or so to go! 

What I'm not sure about at the moment is whether to matt coat the whole model once it's complete.  I'm concerned that the matt coat will react with the paper for the flags, but at the same time I know that there is a lot of CA all over the decks where I have added the PE and figures.  I think I will have to do a test on one of the spare sheets of signal flags and see what happens.  I'm also a little concerned that even on its lowest pressure the blast from the airbrush will scatter the figures far and wide!

51965415510_c1bef8e358_b.jpg

Overall view

51964922553_847809dfab_b.jpg

Whip aerials added

Thanks for watching

• Like 12

Gidday Chewy, superbly done and an unusual display, but I think that's been said before. Something else I noticed in this and some earlier posts - the slight bow wave so the tide's running a little. Good luck with the remaining figures.

Very well done. Regards, Jeff.

Keeps getting better and better.  Personally I would NOT attempt airbrushing - if necessary touch up with a brush and dab.  You'll lose figures and flags even at a lwo pressure, and from where i'm sitting it doesn't need matting

Rob

• 3 weeks later...

Pleased to report that PUMA is finally finished bar the Perspex case (for which I have yet to order the Perspex).

Just a few quick photos from last night as she sat on the bench; I'll do some better ones later in the week for the RFI.

52012886287_522cd52295_b.jpg

52013966948_e58bf18df9_b.jpg

52012886382_2c5ca7e628_b.jpg

I wimped out on spraying the jetty with matt coat for fear that the figures would end up flying all over the place as a couple of people had said above.  Instead, after a quick check that the Vallejo matt varnish didn't dry with white splodges all over the place if I used a hairy stick (as the Humbrol one has done in the past) I did it with a very soft large brush.  Still ended up knock about 10-12 off but at least for all bar 1 I could see where they went and get them re-attached.  For those coming to next Saturday's Viking's Show in Poole, I hope to display here there.

The dilemma now is what next?  As some may have spotted, I asked the question about generic wood decks with a view to scratchbuilding HMS HECLA as she appeared in 1982 (especially noting that it is 40 years ago today that we sailed from Gibraltar heading to the South Atlantic). 

I'm pretty well advanced with drawing the basic structure in 3D CAD so can print the hull and main superstructure parts (render below) but if I do it I want to get it finished in time for the big 40th anniversary Falklands celebrations in Portsmouth where the Royal Naval Association Modelling SIG are holding an exhibition.  And as readers on here will know, I am not the quickest of modellers (mainly because I don't get time to do it often enough).

52015154925_d9dcbf1af2_b.jpg

Thanks for watching

• Like 10

A fantastic little diorama there Chewie, it has come out particularly well. The (Type 965?) radar is a thing of beauty, but it's difficult to pick out only standout thing due to how much is going on and the quality of all the work.

Really impressive build, if you're entering a competition, send the judges my way if you dont somehow win everything in sight!

David

• Thanks 1