Hello from Rotterdam

BringUpThePIAT

Hi all,

Just a little note to say thanks for admitting me to your site.  My name is Chris, I'm a 40 year old recent new parent to a 6 week old boy called Noah. I live in Rotterdam with my Dutch fiancee but am a proud Londoner and Chelsea fan. I'm head of credit for an oil/marine fuel trader and have been lucky enough to live previously in Dubai and Singapore with my job, and it is what brought me to Holland too. 

I got into modelling with planes when i was a kid, about 8 years old for that iconic first Airfix 1/72 Spitfire. I moved into 1/35 military modelling, Tamiya mainly (unsurprisingly) when i was 12 and was properly obsessed with it until i went to college, discovered girls, pubs and dance music. I did a couple of models at Uni and haven't touched a kit since. 

My initial forays into 1/35 were Tamiya kits with Humbrol acrylics by paint. Obviously since then the internet has happened and i am astonished at the aftermarket options for PE and accessories that make a plain plastic kit a lot more interesting to me. I had a Verlinden catalogue waaaaay back in the day but couldn't afford to buy anything off it. Obviously now, things are a bit easier and its drawn me back into the hobby - my dad retires this year and he was the one who got me into it when i was a kid, so we're both getting back into it now. Its a "me and dad" bomnding thing, and in time hopefully i can make some models and kindle an interest with my son when he's old enough.

So quick quiz - 

First military model - Tamiya 3.7cm flak gun (1992)

Last military model - Tamiya M1A2 (1999)

Favourite ever build - Tamiya Gepard

Last model bought - Tamiya Jagdpanther and about EUR40 worth of Eduard PE stuff to put on it. 

To do list - Tamiya Jagdpanther, Tamiya Krupp Protze, Tamiya Flakvierling 20cm, Tamiya 88mm Flak 36/37, Tamiya Steyr car, Academy German tank crew, Tamiya German Infantry sets x2, Dragon SD.KFZ 7, Academy Warrior.

Least favourite ever build - Italeri M113 w/ Vulcan AA gun. Hated the lack of rubber tracks. Dismayed to come back to the hobby to find everyone is doing moulded plastic segment tracks now! Argh!

Favourite bands - Fleetwood Mac, Dire Straits, Pink Floyd, Pearl Jam, Oasis, The Smiths, the Clash, Iron Maiden

Other interests - diving (I'm a qualified Divemaster), writing (I've had a book published and am waiting to publish two more), travelling (I've been to 39 counties on 5 continents), food (I love coooking), DJing (ive been a DJ for 20 years now and used to run my own club night in London, these days i don't play out much but record a lot of mixes to put online, tech house, techno, progressive house, little bit of trance and classic old school house music too, DM me if you want a link to my Soundcloud/website)

Edited by BringUpThePIAT
  • Like 3

Always good to see another Maiden fan on here.  Did some 1/35 German & other stuff many years ago and could easily have gone with that.  I switched to 1/48 aircraft instead.  6 week old?  You getting much sleep yet?  All the best

1 hour ago, alt-92 said:

Well look at that, a Rotterdammert in the house.

Welcome :) 

Well, Barendrecht now but moving to Heinenoord in five weeks. But yeah, Rotterdam. :) love it here, it’s fantastic 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, bar side said:

Always good to see another Maiden fan on here.  Did some 1/35 German & other stuff many years ago and could easily have gone with that.  I switched to 1/48 aircraft instead.  6 week old?  You getting much sleep yet?  All the best

Proper Maiden fan, I have a huge Powerslave tattoo on my thigh. Incredible band. Currently buying up everything they’ve ever done on vinyl. I think they are a good shout for one of the greatest British bands in music history. 

And no hahaha not much sleep :)

Greetings from Western Canada and from another Chris. 

Model glue and rock music! Seems quite familiar. I have over 8500 songs on my IPod. All ( mostly ) genres from the mid 60's to this year.

Chris

1 minute ago, BringUpThePIAT said:

Proper Maiden fan, I have a huge Powerslave tattoo on my thigh. Incredible band. Currently buying up everything they’ve ever done on vinyl. I think they are a good shout for one of the greatest British bands in music history. 

And no hahaha not much sleep :)

Met them all on the No Prayer For The Dying tour (and Blaze Bayley in the bar!) used to do Donington Monsters of Rock & seen most of the noisy ones.  Ozzy, Metalica, Sabbath, etc. 

Check this build out 

I will swap you a 6 month old for a teenage daughter with make up & social media if you like

12 minutes ago, dogsbody said:

Greetings from Western Canada and from another Chris. 

Model glue and rock music! Seems quite familiar. I have over 8500 songs on my IPod. All ( mostly ) genres from the mid 60's to this year.

Chris

Thanks mate - where in Western Canada are you hailing from? Vancouver is one of my all time cities. Amazing city, amazing people. I’ve been a Canucks fan ever since. 

12 minutes ago, bar side said:

Met them all on the No Prayer For The Dying tour (and Blaze Bayley in the bar!) used to do Donington Monsters of Rock & seen most of the noisy ones.  Ozzy, Metalica, Sabbath, etc. 

Check this build out 

I will swap you a 6 month old for a teenage daughter with make up & social media if you like

That Maiden Spit is epic. 

You’re a super fan like me then. 

Its funny, was just saying to my Mrs the other day when we heard Churchill’s speech on a documentary I can’t hear him say the words now without expecting THAT intro. 

My Powerslave tattoo - https://www.filehosting.org/file/details/902040/436DB239-E228-4C36-8199-8CA83F52F222.png

2 minutes ago, Hook said:

Welkom! 

Cheers,

Andre

Danke schoen Andre 

46 minutes ago, BringUpThePIAT said:

Thanks mate - where in Western Canada are you hailing from? Vancouver is one of my all time cities. Amazing city, amazing people. I’ve been a Canucks fan ever since. 

Originally from Nova Scotia, but for the last 40 years I've been in Fort McMurray, Alberta. Or as I call it: The Backside of Beyond. It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from here.

Chris

1 hour ago, BringUpThePIAT said:

That Maiden Spit is epic. 

You’re a super fan like me then. 

Its funny, was just saying to my Mrs the other day when we heard Churchill’s speech on a documentary I can’t hear him say the words now without expecting THAT intro. 

My Powerslave tattoo - https://www.filehosting.org/file/details/902040/436DB239-E228-4C36-8199-8CA83F52F222.png

Can’t see the link I am afraid.  Powerslave & Somewhere In Time were school days.  Was just glad to see them by the time I was at uni.  Just missed the 92 Donington Maiden & Guns & Roses.  But the AC/DC Metalica double header was quality.  Glad to have seen Lemmy in his prime too.

7 hours ago, dogsbody said:

Originally from Nova Scotia, but for the last 40 years I've been in Fort McMurray, Alberta. Or as I call it: The Backside of Beyond. It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from here.

Chris

I was in Halifax NS last summer, lovely people, fantastic beer. :)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BringUpThePIAT said:

I was in Halifax NS last summer, lovely people, fantastic beer. :)

I lived a 1-hour drive from a few downtown Halifax pubs and taverns. Those were good times. Lots of great music and, of course, beer!

Chris

Welcome aboard. It's good to have another AFV modeller on here, and I won't hold the Chelsea thing against you. I'm surrounded by them....son, daughter, son-in-law, grandson. I'll just have to wear my claret and blue more often. Oh, and I like the first three on your bands list.

John.