Secret History of Fighter Aircraft Engine Development in WW2 - Calum Douglas

Ray_W

I really like the work that is being done by Calum Douglas, challenging some of the previous perceptions with regard to WWII engine design and development using his fresh outlook, deep technical understanding and access to newly sourced materials. This video is really worth checking out if you have not seen it already. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImEpk1s-Vk0

It is slow to start because it is a webinar made during our current COVID restrictions.

I think you will find it fascinating.

Ray 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Three chapters in, and it is/will be doing serious damage to my modelling time.  A truly excellent book, especially for its insights into German engines and their problems - engineering and political.  Words like "epic" spring to mind, at the risk of being accused of exaggeration, but it is.  Obviously, in a work of this size and complexity there are one or two minor quibbles that could be raised, but I get the feeling that the author would listen to anything properly supported by evidence.  That's a good feeling to have, and he certainly has no lack of evidence for what he does present.  So far I've reached 1939...

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

Three chapters in, and it is/will be doing serious damage to my modelling time. 

Just what I don't need. 😄 I've been having so much fun researching of late that the current build is proceeding at a crawl.

My copy is on order and expected soon. I might get some work at the bench done. Like @AltcarBoB I'm saving mine for Christmas Day. Looking forward to it!

Ray

• Like 1

This film should be understood in such a way that the path that was caused by the shortage of materials was a completely different one than originally planned. Given the scarcity of resources, this path is nevertheless worth considering.

I had some heads of the development department as my teachers at university. They all learnt their lessons well.

An exact scientific work is also available:

Aeronatical Research in Germany from Lilienthal until Today

Happy modelling

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1