Adrian Warburton's Martin Maryland

Over lockdown I've been reading a lot of history books and stumbled across the story of Adrian Warburton via James Holland's excellent Fortress Malta.

Without giving too much away to those who don't know, Warburton was a photo reconnaissance pilot based predominantly on Malta during WWII. To find out more you need to read up on him. He has a Wiki page, but that doesn't do the story justice.

I've got an ancient Easter Express kit that I'm going to build in the re-badged French scheme that Warburton flew early on in his career. Sadly the aircraft didn't last long and pictures are scarce, so the build will allow a bit of artistic licence. The only thing that I know for certain is that the plane looked like an absolute wreck.

P1050211.jpg

P1050209.jpg

P1050210.jpg

P1050208.jpg

• Like 10

Frank, Adrian and Paddy. Warburton like to fly wearing an Army battle blouse and "Oxford Bags".  

P1050217.jpg

Dubbed by the media as "The Crew with a price on its head". Which unfortunately lead to the RAF splitting them up for fear of them being singled out for special attention should they be captured.

5 hours ago, HansReggelsen said:

Looks interesting! :thumbsup:

The Maryland along with it's sisters - Baltimore and Marauder are among my favourite bomber of WW2 :D

Is it a rebox of the Frog kit? :hmmm:

Cheers :bye:

Hans J

Yes it is, frog then novo now eastern express 

I'll be along for this, I'm keen to do a Maryland at some point though the one that gained fame by spotting that the Bismarck had sailed is my pick for subject. @stevej60 did a really nice build of one of these in the Frog Squad GB last year but the vandal ;) seems to have deleted all his photos, it'd be good if we could persuade him to reinstate these ones. :unsure:  He did some really good remedial work on the kit to canopy interface. :)

Steve.

Looking at the few photos I have I can't see any serial numbers on the aircraft. Any one know if the re-assigned French aircraft had them? If so what format and where abouts on the airframe?

That's a nice looking crew :) I'll be following along on this one if you don't mind. The Maryland is one of my favorite aircraft of all time and I've been eyeing kits online. The Azur kit is going for big $$$ and I might have to follow your example with the Eastern Express. 

I understand that Warburton would fly his Maryland at low levels into Toronto harbor to get needed photo evidence of Italian shipping. Apparently if one flew at a certain height the gunners had a difficult time aiming low. Anyway I am excited about this project and look forward to the final result! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 28ZComeback said:

I understand that Warburton would fly his Maryland at low levels into Toronto harbor to get needed photo evidence of Italian shipping. Apparently if one flew at a certain height the gunners had a difficult time aiming low. Anyway I am excited about this project and look forward to the final result! 

That Maryland must have had some spectacular long range tanks to get from Malta to Torondo.🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 3

On 26/10/2020 at 17:42, Harry_the_Spider said:

Looking at the few photos I have I can't see any serial numbers on the aircraft. Any one know if the re-assigned French aircraft had them? If so what format and where abouts on the airframe?

I didn't realise these (this) aircraft were operated in French colours. The code '2' appears to be original French; not much sign of any attempt to change the markings to British.

Nice project, I'll follow along.

On 25/10/2020 at 12:16, HansReggelsen said:

Looks interesting! :thumbsup:

The Maryland along with it's sisters - Baltimore and Marauder are among my favourite bomber of WW2 :D

Is it a rebox of the Frog kit? :hmmm:

Cheers :bye:

Hans J

It definitely is.

The FROG Baltimore and Maryland has appeared in many different boxes guises over the decades.

• Like 1

I didn't realise these (this) aircraft were operated in French colours. The code '2' appears to be original French; not much sign of any attempt to change the markings to British.

Yep. "Frustrated Contract" apparently. They just painted RAF roundels and tail markings on them. I can't even see evidence of any RAF serial numbers.

• 2 months later...

...and we're back in the room!

Had a bit of a disaster back in November that only came to light yesterday.

I dropped the box when putting it away inside the under stairs cupboard of chaos, and lost the glazing for the tip of the nose. After much searching and foul language I decided to raid the spares box and cut the tip off the nose of an Italeri Mitchell. The size is right but the shape is a bit off. 

P1050802.jpg

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

Finally got a bit more done.

Filled and primed.

IMG-20210214-161809797.jpg

As the canopy is a bit of a lash-up and reality it out of the window I'm going to raid the spares box for some better wheels. I've a set from a Revell He111 that'll fit the bill if the size is comparable. The kit ones are featureless plastic discs. 

• Like 1

Great build of not the easiest kit.

love James Holland’s books, and fortress Malta is a particular favourite of mine. I’m currently reading ‘together we stand’ on the war in North Africa.

looking forward to what you do now the primers on.

Rob

Going to try some home made decals as Warburton's aircraft has the rather distinctive "2" on the side and the winged demon with a grenade logo on the tail.

Test run for size printed on white paper.

P1050975.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...