'Nother Schnellboot

Bozothenutter

Semi lockdown has my ADHD all over the place, found myself wandering out of the shop with this beast.....(only went in for some paint...🤷🏾‍♂️)

Ordered some books off Amazon, googled to the ends of the internet and am thoroughly enjoying the research! (tbh I seem to enjoy the research most, any research really.....

To stop my rambling....and get to the point...

Any pointers to good details of the torpedo tube rear ends?

Any commonality with U-boot types?

See!?, what makes sense in your head, doesn't always to others....

Italeri S-38

Really leaning towards the camouflaged Baltic boats, but if there is an interesting Ijmuiden (ie Dutch based) I'll consider it seriously.

Like I said, still at the start of my journey.

Ok, first off, where in the world are you? then I can point you to the best suppliers in your area. 

Here is a short list of good stuff;

The Modelling News - Kit review.

Britmodeller.com  -  build log by wardsmodeller 8-19-18 maritime section, works in progress

Eduard.com  Photo Etch parts. 

For the S38, sets 53212, 53213, 53214

For the S100 (which might contain useful parts) BIG5306 or individual sets 53038, 53039

Master barrels MRSM3503

Mastercasters MST35005 Oval dinghy

MST35009 Gunshield

Aerobonus (Aires) QAB350001 to QAB350014  Crew figures

Squadron/Signal Books

4018 Schnellboot in Action 

ISBN 0-89747-457-0

14035 Schnellboot in Action

ISBN 978-0-89747-660-7

Shipcraft books German S-Boats 

Steve Wiper 2006

ISBN 978-18617-627-88

German S-boats in Action

Hans Frank 2007

Seaforth Publishing

ISBN 978-1-84415-7167

Before buying any books, check with your local library to see if they can order them for you, saves a few $$. 

All the camo'd boats in the photo's in my books are from the Baltic, Norway, or Med. The Dutch coast boats were all SBW / Grey. HTH's, Regards, Pete in RI.

well @europapete, I think I found a lot of the things you mentioned!

The Modelling News - Kit review.

Britmodeller.com  -  build log by wardsmodeller 8-19-18 maritime section, works in progress

Eduard.com  Photo Etch parts. 

For the S38, sets 53212, 53213, 53214  (not sure about a steel flag tbh)

For the S100 (which might contain useful parts) BIG5306 or individual sets 53038, 53039 (had a good look at the instructions for both sets, couldn't really spot a difference. Anything in particular?)

Master barrels MRSM3503

Mastercasters MST35005 Oval dinghy (not found this yet)

MST35009 Gunshield (Eduard set has a PE shield)

Aerobonus (Aires) QAB350001 to QAB350014  Crew figures (undecided on crew yet..)

Squadron/Signal Books 4018 Schnellboot in Action ISBN 0-89747-457-0 (14035 coming in, any advantage in having the earlier version?)

14035 Schnellboot in Action ISBN 978-0-89747-660-7

Shipcraft books German S-Boats 

Steve Wiper 2006

ISBN 978-18617-627-88

German S-boats in Action

Hans Frank 2007

Seaforth Publishing

ISBN 978-1-84415-7167

in addition, I have the books below coming in, prefer owning books.....bit of a hoarder I am....

Seaforth Publishing: Schnellboote, a complete operational history  ISBN-13 : 978-1848320833

Kagero:  Schnellboot. Type S-38 and S-100 (Super Drawings in 3D) ISBN-13 : 978-8365437716

I also ordered a PE set for a Italeri bofors, hoping it is the same plastic.

and some Master empty and loaded cartridges to fill the various baskets with.

Some AFV club EMC mines

Really insane looking Aber Flak30 magazines 

missed out on the kitchen sink though.......

anybody know what the insides of the hull sides next to the torpedo tubes looked like?

I'm messing with stuff I shouldn't again...

20201102-125115.jpg

left the kit parts, right homebrew.....

working off the rivet lines.

The ribs will get strips added on one side, as it looks to me they used L profiles.

Italeri-S38-schnellboot-5620-7.jpg

not the best pic to work from.......

• Like 1

On 11/4/2020 at 12:38 PM, Bozothenutter said:

anybody know what the insides of the hull sides next to the torpedo tubes looked like?

You might want took at the Wheatcroft restoration of S130 some photos on there of the stripped out interior  :book:

beefy

Hi, my guess is that the ribs had a triangular base at deck level. At least,  this was the case with later Schnellboot versions and is a common practice in boat building.

06sFRQ2.jpg

dzSayGm.jpg

Personally I wouldn't be bothered with details that are not in view anyway.

Groet,

Arjan

9 hours ago, Arjan said:

Hi, my guess is that the ribs had a triangular base at deck level. At least,  this was the case with later Schnellboot versions and is a common practice in boat building.

06sFRQ2.jpg

dzSayGm.jpg

Personally I wouldn't be bothered with details that are not in view anyway.

Groet,

Arjan

Good catch!

Must have seen that pic umphteen times!

More 'inside' information required.....

What did the inside of the torpedo tube look like?

The kit has some 'strakes' that look like they were to impart a twisting motion to the torpedo.

From U-Boot pics I have seen what looks like straight wood planks running fore-aft.

Anybody in the know?

More 'inside' information required.....

What did the inside of the torpedo tube look like?

The kit has some 'strakes' that look like they were to impart a twisting motion to the torpedo.

From U-Boot pics I have seen what looks like straight wood planks running fore-aft.

Anybody in the know?

Hi, I guess these strakes were spacers to reduce the contact surface between torpedo and inner tube walls. Less contact means less friction. Certainly not intended to make the torpedo spin, after all torpedoes had rudders to keep them running straight. Steve Wiper's booklet page 48 has a pic showing these strakes. Two more pics :

mWkk8wb.jpg

uJc1qYG.jpg

I've also started work on the Italeri kit in question. I'm going to make an rc version like my previous S-100. I've just ordered the hardware in China so it will be some time before I receive all the necessary parts.

Groet,

Arjan

• Like 1

That's an interesting pic, seems likely that any wooden slats that may have been present have disintegrated over the years. On second thought I think the slats were only present at the end section of the tube. This section widens out to an oval shape. I think the end section was blown off by the blast in this pic :

88HmMKv.jpg

Another image showing the oval end section :

K8fxLnJ.jpg

Arjan

• Like 1