Post war Royal Navy Anson Mk.1 Radar trainers cabin info

bigbadbadge

Hi all.

I am wondering if any kind BMer has any images of the interior cabin layout of the above. 

The fold down seat , was it replaced with a permanent type?

The nose interior too and rear cabin, if any specific photos or info is available  ???

Any help greatly appreciated. 

Thanks in advance

Chris 

I think there's more to it than that.  The caption to a photo of Culdrose's MG673 641/CW (ASH-equipped, 792 Sq, c. 1948) in Geoff Wakeham's RNAS Culdrose 1947-2007 says (p.22), "up to 4 observers could be taught using radar consoles fitted in the back of the aircraft".

Hope you get an answer: I'd love to know the answer as well.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Seahawk said:

I think there's more to it than that.  The caption to a photo of Culdrose's MG673 641/CW (ASH-equipped, 792 Sq, c. 1948) in Geoff Wakeham's RNAS Culdrose 1947-2007 says (p.22), "up to 4 observers could be taught using radar consoles fitted in the back of the aircraft".

Hope you get an answer: I'd love to know the answer as well.

Thanks Seahawk,  that's great info too thank you.  Just need to find out what the consols looked like for scratch building.  

Thanks

Chris

@Seahawk check out this WIP by @Acklington he built a Radar trainer  also and from what you said above I think the layout would have been the same.   Check the last update which is the  confirmation I am happy with so will stat my project as soon as I have finished my Spitfire. 

Thanks to both of you.

Chris 

Hmm, not sure.  That’s an RAF aircraft using an early radar.  The FAA aircraft is using the AN/APS-4 pod beneath the nose.  And @Acklingtonadmits he was making the interior up based on very limited information.  Still, with the limited space inside an Anson, the options are quite limited.  Wonder there’s any hope of assistance from a @Martian source?  He knows lots about obscure FAA types.

Either way, I shall follow your build with interest.

14 minutes ago, Seahawk said:

Hmm, not sure.  That’s an RAF aircraft using an early radar.  The FAA aircraft is using the AN/APS-4 pod beneath the nose.  And @Acklingtonadmits he was making the interior up based on very limited information.  Still, with the limited space inside an Anson, the options are quite limited.  Wonder there’s any hope of assistance from a @Martian source?  He knows lots about obscure FAA types.

In the last update he makes reference to confirmation of the layout.   I am not sure of the other student seats, I presume that they would be level with the other seats along the cabin and be normal seats so they are anchored and belted etc.  

Martian may not be around for a while as per his Canberra thread as he is unfortunately unwell at this time.  My best wishes to him for a speedy recovery.   

Chris

10 minutes ago, Seahawk said:

Sorry Guys, I am sure something could be sorted out. However, I have become increasingly unwell over the past year, leading to a complete breakdown about three weeks ago. I have indicated on my Canberra thread that I am having a break from everything for a while and am not well enough to do any modelling related stuff at the moment and can't even think straight  for any length of time. I only became aware of this via an email brom the forum. Remind me in a month or so and I might be able to help then. I think I know how the problem might be resolved but I can't concentrate long enough to think things through properly, let alone dig out the necessary documentation.

Martian 👽

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Martian said:

Sorry Guys, I am sure something could be sorted out. However, I have become increasingly unwell over the past year, leading to a complete breakdown about three weeks ago. I have indicated on my Canberra thread that I am having a break from everything for a while and am not well enough to do any modelling related stuff at the moment and can't even think straight  for any length of time. I only became aware of this via an email brom the forum. Remind me in a month or so and I might be able to help then. I think I know how the problem might be resolved but I can't concentrate long enough to think things through properly, let alone dig out the necessary documentation.

Martian 👽

Thanks Martian, no worries fella, I hope you feel better soon and make a quick and full recovery.  Take care of yourself 

Chris

@SeahawkThe Alan Hall & Eric Taylor book states that there were no Ansons built specifically for the Royal Navy , but late in the war a number were handed over from the RAF for training purposes.   These were apparently kept in immaculate condition.   They do look the same as the RAF airborne interception training machines with visual differences being the Radar unit slung under the nose necessitating the Pitot being placed on top of the nose.  Some had the original nose and I can see the Glazed nose too.  The Aerial layout on the top of the fuselage was different too.  So  wonder if some of the RAF AI machines were handed over which would mean it is plausible that the layout could well be the same.  

I will do either EG317 with the standard Mk1  nose or NK941which had the Glazed nose.  Both are yellow  machines , so will take some painting by brush, but have always wanted to model one.

Chris

• Thanks 1

Both aircraft of AST Hamble, I see.  I would be worried about doing that glazed nose though I dimly recall the Special Hobby kit MAY cater for it.  I hope you have access to the lovely A4 size photo of NK941 603 banking towards the camera on p.30 of Sturtivant's FAA Fixed Wing Aircraft Since 1946.  Type A roundels above wings and on fuselage, large astrodome, impressive array of aerials on fuselage top and more on the wings just forward of the ailerons.  It's a Charles E Brown photo so there are probably other shots where that came from.

Good luck with the matt yellow from a fellow brush painter.

• Thanks 1

On 10/25/2020 at 7:58 PM, Seahawk said:

Both aircraft of AST Hamble, I see.  I would be worried about doing that glazed nose though I dimly recall the Special Hobby kit MAY cater for it.  I hope you have access to the lovely A4 size photo of NK941 603 banking towards the camera on p.30 of Sturtivant's FAA Fixed Wing Aircraft Since 1946.  Type A roundels above wings and on fuselage, large astrodome, impressive array of aerials on fuselage top and more on the wings just forward of the ailerons.  It's a Charles E Brown photo so there are probably other shots where that came from.

Good luck with the matt yellow from a fellow brush painter.

Hi Seahawk

I don't have the photo unfortunately but do have another and the Glazed nose machine does look fantastic,  it was in the Anson article in Model Aircraft Monthly in March 2010 where Len Thompson built three Anson models that were all gorgeous (It is the Special Hobby release of the CA  kit that I have)

So I have the aerial configuration,  Roundels etc so figures crossed I may have enough to get started once I finish my Spitfire  build.

The nose interior is illuding me at the moment.  

Not looking forward to around 5 coats of yellow but if I do in sections it will make more bearable. 

Thanks for your info and help

Chris