"Crumbs Chief!" Ive just finished my third Revell tornado!

Well Im not about to do that again!  Multiple builds Im talking about!

Anyway here is the third and final of my Revell 1/48 Tornado builds. This one as an Op Telic jet "Danger Mouse" one of my favourite cartoon characters growing up

The standard kit is enhanced with @Shaun wing seals, eduard PE cockpit, wheel wells, wheels, TIALD, Sky shadow and BOZ pods, plus res-kit Paveway IIs.

I have to say the Brassin weapons are lovely, as were the res-kit bombs. Excellent detail and easy to assemble, a plus for me!

Finished using SMS paints - an Australian brand of lacquer paint, and decals from Model Alliance

It has a few flaws as you can probably see if you look at the photos, but its done.  I have a bad habit of rushing a build in the final stages, and taking a few shortcuts, if its not turning out as I envisaged. A habit I really need to stop

Anyway, heres my fourth completed build for the year. Any comments, or constructive feedback welcome

(apart from the backward sloping front leg, I can see that one already, oh, and the chunk missing from the port wing glove😀)

The pictured base is from Mario 3D Bases. Expensive, but a quality item.

Thanks for looking

Bruce

tornado_reveal front port qtr tornado_reveal wing-6 tornado_reveal top tornado_reveal port profile-6 tornado_reveal port profile-7 tornado_reveal port profile-3 tornado_reveal port profile tornado_reveal stb  3/4 tornado_reveal port wing stores

tornado_reveal on base

Edited by pacificmustang
Duplicate photo
  • Like 66
  • Thanks 3

Danger Mouse, now that brings back morning cartoons along with Count Duckula and the original transformers series.

Fantastic build of the Fin Bruce. Picked up some SMS paints myself and are great to use. Their colour range (RAAF Foliage green and RAF PRU Blue etc) is spot on for those hard to find camo colours; at a very reasonable price

Edited by Tempestwulf
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Tempestwulf said:

Danger Mouse, now that brings back morning cartoons along with Count Duckula and the original transformers series.

Fantastic build of the Fin Bruce. Picked up some SMS paints myself and are great to use. Their colour range (RAAF Foliage green and RAF PRU Blue etc) is spot on for those hard to find camo colours; at a very reasonable price

Thanks tempestwulf. I’m a big fan of their foliage green colour too , will pick up a bottle of PRU blue . Didn’t realise they did it 

1 hour ago, Lord Riot said:

That's absolutely brilliant mate, so realistic. 

How did you get the exhaust stain on the fin, and what shade of grey did you use?

Thanks Lord. The stain was sprayed on using very thinned tamiya XF1 black plus a hint of brown. I’m talking about 80% thinned with tamiya acrylic thinners. The grey used is Barley grey, lightened a teeny bit

• Like 1

Well Bruce, that's a "Mighty Fin" !! (apols to Mr. Dylan) 

I understand what you say about "get home-itis" but can't see it here or on any of your other builds.

Your weathering is just beautiful...How did you do the chipping on the leading edges?

What about a family portrait of all your Tornados together??

Cheers mate

Shaun

13 hours ago, rodenlee said:

Well Bruce, that's a "Mighty Fin" !! (apols to Mr. Dylan) 

I understand what you say about "get home-itis" but can't see it here or on any of your other builds.

Your weathering is just beautiful...How did you do the chipping on the leading edges?

What about a family portrait of all your Tornados together??

Cheers mate

Shaun

Ha! You’re not looking close enough Shaun. For the chipping, I first sprayed dark sea grey, then dabbed on Mr Masking fluid with a torn bit of packing sponge. The barley grey was then sprayed once the maskol had dried, when paint was dry, you just rub the madkol off with your fingers leaving the chipped effect. When I find a table big enough, I’ll take a photo of all three

Cheers 

Bruce 

Excellent modelling Bruce 👍

Is this a Tornado from Lossiemouth? I note the Dallas Dhu above the Danger Mouse nose art. Lossie's Gulf War Buccaneers all had named of Morayshire Distilleries on them. 

• Thanks 1

Nice effort Bruce. Especially building 3 in a row. That's the road to madness 😀.  Leading edge chipping looks quite convincing. It looks like you've used it in a few otehr spots as well Will have to try that technique myself. 

Love the addition of the GPU in the some of the images as well. 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, GREG DESTEC said:

Excellent modelling Bruce 👍

Is this a Tornado from Lossiemouth? I note the Dallas Dhu above the Danger Mouse nose art. Lossie's Gulf War Buccaneers all had named of Morayshire Distilleries on them. 

Hello Greg, I think the jet was from 31 SQN normally based at RAF Marham

10 hours ago, reggie78usmc said:

Wanted to ask, how did you find the fit of this kit?  Were the intakes bothersome or did they go together ok? I am thinking about getting a revell tornado in 1/48.  Any suggestions would be awesome.  thank you

G’day Reggie. Fit was problematic, but can be eased if you ensure each part is properly prepared and cleaned of flash, burrs etc, if this is done, fit is not too bad,  do double check each part has been aligned properly, before going on to the next stage. The kit will require filler but is not the nightmare a lot of people make it out to be. That said, it does reward careful assembly 

I suggest following the build sequence outlined in this series of videos. They do make the build go a lot easier 

Edited by pacificmustang
  • Like 2

On 10/25/2020 at 5:35 AM, pacificmustang said:

I have a bad habit of rushing a build in the final stages, and taking a few shortcuts

I call that "Kit Fatigue".

Nothing wrong with your end product, though.  Looks great. 👍👍

• Like 1

Beautiful model. Congratulations.

Am pleased you see SMS paints getting a plug also. Great paints! They are also one of the sponsors for WASMEx (West Australian Scale Model Exhibition) so I love to see models painted with their products.

• Like 1

On 10/26/2020 at 8:51 PM, pacificmustang said:

Hello Greg, I think the jet was from 31 SQN normally based at RAF Marham

G’day Reggie. Fit was problematic, but can be eased if you ensure each part is properly prepared and cleaned of flash, burrs etc, if this is done, fit is not too bad,  do double check each part has been aligned properly, before going on to the next stage. The kit will require filler but is not the nightmare a lot of people make it out to be. That said, it does reward careful assembly 

I suggest following the build sequence outlined in this series of videos. They do make the build go a lot easier 

Thanks Bruce!