Finemolds 1/72 millennium falcon

fatalbert

Well what a result,i managed to acquire my what i would get if i won the  lottery  kit,  for a song,I have always wanted the finemolds 1/72 millennium falcon but its waaaay beyond my price range,however i found a part started complete kit on that well known auction site for a third of the price,i couldnt pass that up.All thats been done so far is the cockpit which i hope to strip and start from scratch.So can anyone give any pointers or pitfalls to look out for,and any  must have after market bits you can reccomend.

My only problem at the mo is its been earmarked by the mem as a christmas present.

So looking forward to getting my hands on this lol.

Edited by fatalbert
  • Like 1

Gutted,just been given a refund as the seller cant find the lower half of the fuselage 😒.Oh well,back to the lottery then😭.why put stuff up for sale without checking them first😡

• Sad 1

I recall reading an article which claimed it had some serious accuracy issues (the 'mandible jaws being canted wrongly among others issues, if memory serves) maybe you dodged a bullet 🙂  Didn't Revell rebox the FM kit at a more affordable price?

I believe the more recent Bandai kit is generally accepted as the 'go to' kit?

I say this not being any sort of SW aficionado, so I stand to be corrected.

Tommo.

Edited by The Tomohawk Kid
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well,long story short,he got back to me and am now in possession of one very slightly started 1/72 Fine molds Millennium Falcon 🙂,the seller also threw in a lighting set and a haynes manual too.Needless to say am a tad excited, the only downer is its been put aside by the good lady for either Christmas or my birthday in March.

I have been doing some research and found several etch sets that look very tempting.Does anyone have any experiance with these.I may have to invest in the cocpit one,it also comes with the gunner positions.Oh and any tips on how to remove decals and leave them serviceable for re-use after refurbishing the cockpit.

Cheers chaps 

Neil

• Like 2

Great to hear you got it sorted. If you want, I could scan the decals from my kit. As far as the PE sets go, I have a couple but haven't used them yet since I haven't started mine. 

There are some nice 3D printed upgrades on Shapeways from 308bits(?). I've used them on my 1/144 FM build. 

Carl

• Thanks 1

Thanks guys,yes please with the scan offer Carl,that will at least give me the basics to attempt printing my own.Can you guys recomend a brand of decal paper to order or are they all about the same ,and would i need to fix the print with a varnish before use,if so can you also recommend a varnish.

Many thanks 

Neil

Edited by fatalbert

If you print you own decals, there are a few things to take into account -

The print needs to be sealed with a spray acrylic gloss varnish, and then a satin or mat varnish if needed.

Injet printers do not print white, so white film will be needed if there is any white in the image.

I also find clear film is useless for anything but black, so you will need white film and cut the decal accurately from the sheet.

I've bought clear and white film and the gloss varnish spray from here -

https://www.craftycomputerpaper.co.uk/

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Niall said:

If you print you own decals, there are a few things to take into account -

The print needs to be sealed with a spray acrylic gloss varnish, and then a satin or mat varnish if needed.

Injet printers do not print white, so white film will be needed if there is any white in the image.

I also find clear film is useless for anything but black, so you will need white film and cut the decal accurately from the sheet.

I've bought clear and white film and the gloss varnish spray from here -

https://www.craftycomputerpaper.co.uk/

Many thanks Niall,i think the part of the decal sheet i need is just black on clear backing,until i actually get my greedy mitts on the kit itself i cant be sure.I have ordered clear and white just in case.,thanks for info 🙂👍

Cool. I have built so many of these as commissions etc. Im actually most of the way through one now thats had alot of mods. Ive corrected the jawboxes and mandibles etc and im now adding all of the tiny details. Looks like you have the revell release of the finemolds kit. For some reason the decals were about 10% smaller than they should be so they dont fit the panels. If you were thinking about using them for the colour panels all over the ship let me know and you can have mine. Mine are the correct size as its the  FM kit that i have. I will use the cockpit ones but the rest i will be painting on.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, gunpowder17 said:

Cool. I have built so many of these as commissions etc. Im actually most of the way through one now thats had alot of mods. Ive corrected the jawboxes and mandibles etc and im now adding all of the tiny details. Looks like you have the revell release of the finemolds kit. For some reason the decals were about 10% smaller than they should be so they dont fit the panels. If you were thinking about using them for the colour panels all over the ship let me know and you can have mine. Mine are the correct size as its the  FM kit that i have. I will use the cockpit ones but the rest i will be painting on.

Yes please that would be fantastic, thankyou very much 🙂,your right it is the revell one,i checked it was all there before the mem sahib took it,and i noticed Revell on the instructions. 

May i ask you what corrections you have done to yours please.

Neil

I cut off and moved the mandibles back to make them a bit shorter , also making then toe in a bit. The jawboxes (the box like structures that run down the centre of the front of the ship were removed and made shorter and narrower. This give the whole ship the correct look of the 32" falcon.  I cut out all the the notches around the edge of the hull in the armour plating. Soldering iron battle damage added too!   

I have been doing little bits here and there over the last few months.

18 minutes ago, gunpowder17 said:

I cut off and moved the mandibles back to make them a bit shorter , also making then toe in a bit. The jawboxes (the box like structures that run down the centre of the front of the ship were removed and made shorter and narrower. This give the whole ship the correct look of the 32" falcon.  I cut out all the the notches around the edge of the hull in the armour plating. Soldering iron battle damage added too!   

I have been doing little bits here and there over the last few months.

Wow,sounds like major work,i tip my hat to you sir.😲