Revell 1/72 Halifax

Stressy

On 10/25/2020 at 9:15 AM, modelldoc said:

NO, its the Revell kit:

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/revell-04670-handley-page-halifax-b-mki-ii-grii--102297

All used parts from the kit.

modelldoc

According to the Scalemates link you provided it is the ex Matchbox kit as the boxart is displayed on it.. Did Revell do their own moulds of a Merlin Hallibag?

40 minutes ago, Icedtea said:

According to the Scalemates link you provided it is the ex Matchbox kit as the boxart is displayed on it.. Did Revell do their own moulds of a Merlin Hallibag?

No, the Scalemates link provided shows the 2011 new tool Revell kit. So yes, in 2011 Revell tooled their own molds of a Merlin Halifax. But they are problematic, as discussed in this thread.

This is Revell's reboxed Matchbox kit from 2006: https://www.scalemates.com/kits/revell-04394-handley-page-halifax-b-mki-ii-grii--104255

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SeaVenom said:

Here's an interesting build which says maybe the wheels aren't too small.........

But he thought the nacelles were okay too. At least he didn't comment on any problems or replace them. I suspect this early review came out before the existence of problems was apparent.

1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Quick question which was more common, Radial or Merlin engined Halifax, Looking for info on a future build ? 

The Merlin version left Bomber Command early in 1943, with the Hercules version moving in on its heels.  Outside of Bomber Command: SOE, Italy, Coastal Command etc continued using the Merlin version until the end of the European War.  The Hercules version was entering service with Coastal and Airborne in the winter of 1944/45.  Only a handful of the Hercules version reached India.  Postwar it was entirely the Hercules version - although I think the French had a few Merlin ones in training/support units.  So it is a matter of when, where, and in what roles.

• Thanks 1

Years ago I started on a method to cut the nacelles several times.
I glued the halves together and then the width of the blade reduces the dimensions by  ca 1.0 mm with every cut:

I've just started to take up that project again,
I will post pictures of the parts but only if I get a sufficient result.

It seems that there are also odd bulges on the sides of the nacelles before they curve into the undersides that need to be taken care of.

So that means it will take its time lol ...

I tried reducing the width of the nacelles on the Revell kit and this was workable, however reducing the depth of the cowling in order to fit (improved) Matchbox intakes proved more difficult.  You will also need to reduce the width of the undercarriage, which fortunately can be done by modifying the attachment areas rather than the main structure.  I eventually decided that better solutions were either to fit the Aeroclub replacements, or (easier but less ideal) use the Freightdog parts with unmodified Revell ones.

One point so far not raised anywhere is that the fairings of the nacelles above the wings don't appear to match the originals - but I've yet to address that in detail (if I ever do).

i did do a list of the Revell parts (thinking to sort out in my own mind which versions could be done from what was provided and which couldn't) but the large proportion of kit parts that were either hopelessly inaccurate or required some bodging was depressing.  Which is a shame, as some elements of the kit showed forethought for planning with a wider range of variants than Revell cared to mention.  Or, indeed, were carried through to the final tooling.  There is no doubt in my mind however, that with but a few minor tweaks Revell have provided by far the best Halifax fuselage.  The minor engine intakes are also worth keeping.

It is perhaps worth mentioning that the Matchbox kit has different but equally awful engine cowlings and propellers, and other faults.  However if you have any, the ailerons are the right size for the undersurface whereas the Revell ones are the right size (ish) for the uppersurface, so some fettling can make a significant improvement there.  The tailwheel can be used instead of the Revell - not sure about the mainwheels.  The Revell provides some spare turrets and guns for no apparent reason but they are welcomed - Hudsons and Venturas in your stash may also lay claim to these.  I assume it wold be possible to use the Revell nose mounting to raise the slumped Matchbox one, if you really wanted to.  But this is probably of little value nowadays: just use the Revell fuselage.

The Hercules version is far better - although not correcting any of the details away from the engine areas, what remain are readily correctable and/or much less obvious!

19 hours ago, Ed Russell said:

But he thought the nacelles were okay too. At least he didn't comment on any problems or replace them. I suspect this early review came out before the existence of problems was apparent.

I think it must have been after the problems were apparent as he does point them out.    I don't know how correct the Matchbox wheels are but when I've fitted them into the new Revell kits undercarriage the gap between the top of the tyre and undercarriage arch looks too small compared to the real life photo he provided in that link.   

In which case either the oleos are compressed or the arch needs opening out a bit, but not too much.   I think you can add White Ensign to the list of people offering larger wheels, though they mainly did sheets of etched brass for detail interiors and exteriors.

On 10/29/2020 at 9:45 AM, Graham Boak said:

In which case either the oleos are compressed or the arch needs opening out a bit, but not too much.   I think you can add White Ensign to the list of people offering larger wheels, though they mainly did sheets of etched brass for detail interiors and exteriors.

Do you mean they're compressed on the kit?    

I know photo's can be deceptive and maybe I'm wrong but the wheels do look a bit smaller on the Halifax to me when comparing these 2 photo's.......

http://www.tangmere-museum.org.uk/aircraft-month/handley-page-halifax (3rd photo on the left)

http://www.warbirdsresourcegroup.org/AARG/lancaster.html

Edited by SeaVenom

• 2 months later...

The first option is getting your hands on an Aeroclub correction set. This includes injection molded replacement nacelles. But I believe this set is no longer available.

The second option is using the Freightdog resin sets - which improve the look somewhat but don't reduce the size of the nacelles. Don't know about the availability of the set - might have sold out.

Build 1 https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234978739-z-nose-halifax-revell-mkv-freightdog-resin-update-parts-finished/&/topic/234978739-z-nose-halifax-revell-mkv-freightdog-resin-update-parts-decals-on/?p=1931711

Build 2 https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235021965-halifax-b-mk-iiigrii-revell-172/page/16/

The third option is doing what Brett Green did, which using the Matchbox parts to improve the Revell nacelles. Someone here even used the Revell nacelle intake lips on the Matchbox parts if I recall correctly.

Here's Brett Green's build: http://www.hyperscale.com/2012/galleries/halifaxbmkiiseries172bg_1.htm

And this that build with completely reshaping the nacelle air intakes:

The fourth option is to live with Revell's mistake.

For my BII Srs 1a I grafted reworked Matchbox nacelles onto the Revell wing. I did briefly consider combining the Matchbox wings with the Revell fuselage but the Revell wings are much better detailed and the method of assembling them to the fuselage using abbreviated spars gives a better join than I could have achieved with the ones from the older kit.

On 10/28/2020 at 3:28 AM, Colin @ Freightdog Models said:

I have a few of my Halifax upgrade sets left (but does not cover the 4 blade props), pm if of interest.

Thanks, 

Colin 

Hi

do you still have any ‘Z nose ‘  conversions left  ?

cheers

jerry

17 hours ago, brewerjerry said:

Hi

do you still have any ‘Z nose ‘  conversions left  ?

cheers

jerry

Jerry, I have the B.III kit which I am building as a III or VI, so if you want the Z nose out of that you're welcome to mine. DM me your mail address

8 hours ago, Work In Progress said:

Jerry, I have the B.III kit which I am building as a III or VI, so if you want the Z nose out of that you're welcome to mine. DM me your mail address

Hi

many thanks tried but the BM messenger

says you cant receive messages 

cheers

jerry