225 1/72 Sud Aviation/Aerospatiale SA316/319 Alouette III - TimV1969

TimV1969

I'd like to enter this group build with the 1/72 Sud Aviation/Alouette Alouette III, which I notice no one else has picked yet, and I think is eligible as according to Scalemates it was first released in 1980 so is a Classic?  Looks like new parts were added for the civilian versions in 1989 but I won't be using them anyway. I've just bought a recent re-boxing of this (from Creative Model's bargain 'damaged box' category on eBay):

spacer.png

but perversely, even though it comes with a nice-looking modern decal sheet for the Gendarmerie (much the best I've seen in a Heller kit), I intending building it as a SA319 from the Armée de l'Air, using earlier Heller decals and/or yellow numbers/letters from ModelDecal 50 (intended for the Puma):

spacer.png

Should be fun to build, I don't remember any major problems with the previous one I built (as a Naval SA-316B - hence my desire to build a contrasting Armée de l'Air version with the Astazou engine)

Tim

• Like 8

Great choice Tim and a big warm welcome to this GB. 

Heller's Alouette is a lovely little kit. I've got an original 1980 mould in blue plastic and boy is it finely detailed for something from that kit era. Clearly Heller were well and truly on their game with this one. 

Cheers and best of luck.. Dave 

Nice choice - great little (more like tiny!) kit, I remember building one more than 30 years ago. I have a feeling it was a tail sitter so watch out for that - not a lot of space for weight up front as I recall.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your welcome, guys, and yes, it is a good kit for its age, comparable to Airfix's Lynx or Puma of the same era, although maybe not as nice as their Sea Sprite.  Thanks for the reminder about weighting the nose, zebra, that does ring a vague bell from the previous one I built, several years ago.  I think on that occasion I only noticed after assembly and had to drill a hole in the bottom of the fuselage to get some weight into it!  This time I'll try to remember to put some Liquid Gravity in before I glue the floor in place.  At least, unlike Airfix's Gazelle(*), there is a suitable cavity under the floor to hide it.

So, a slow start so far on this, but I have completed the basic fuselage assembly, and completed and painted the interior.  The seats look pretty good as they are in the kit, but I have added masking-tape seat belts, and a couple of strips of half-round plastic strip on the back to better represent the framework visible in reference photos.  I also cut away the 'step' from the floor, which, as far as I can see, folds down when the winch is in use, as I want to make this model look as different as possible from my previous, Naval variant, and that means modelling it with the winch fitted, and the door open.  This meant cutting the rear door out of the port-side glazing, which didn't go that well as I cracked the corner of the door glass.  Fortunately I found I could cut out a similarly-profiled window from a left-over piece from an S&M Models Sycamore (knew I kept it in my spares box for a reason!) so hopefully that will come together later.  For now though, the interior, placed (but not glued!) in the fuselage just to check that it fits:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Those photos remind me that I need to scratch build some rudder pedals!

Tim

(*) built two gazelles as an adult, and one a long time ago, all of them tail-sitters!

• Like 5

You got me! I’ve ordered one. I just couldn’t resist at £9.60 and free postage ;). As you’d expect, I have some exotic decals on the way too.  It’ll be Chadian. 

Martin

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/3/2020 at 10:34 PM, RidgeRunner said:

I have some exotic decals on the way too.  It’ll be Chadian. 

That the Berna Decals sheet? There's a lovely variety of aftermarket decals out there for this little chopper. If the Africa GB gets through the bumfight for next year I might go with one myself.

5 hours ago, TonyOD said:

That the Berna Decals sheet? There's a lovely variety of aftermarket decals out there for this little chopper. If the Africa GB gets through the bumfight for next year I might go with one myself.

If you do I will have some decals! What do you fancy? 

12 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

If you do I will have some decals! What do you fancy? 

It wasn't a hint! 😂 Kind offer though. The Congolese one looks interesting! 

• 1 month later...

Hi @TimV1969

Have you had a chance to do any more to your Sud Aviation/Alouette Alouette III since we last heard from you ?

You had done a lovely job of the interior, and with our 2 week time extension to the GB, I do hope we will see this cracking kit finished. 

Cheers Pat