Ramrod Spitfire ~ Ketterson's "HOTBOX"

baldwin8

My modelling subjects are varied but it is always something about each one that captures my interest and takes me on a path of research I love. And this like the others is no exception. A fondness for RCAF Spitfires and the crews that manned them. Gathering up the usual kit with aftermarket extras, it was finally time to start this. It was started in late August and now to the point of the final decals, weathering and topcoats. It is coming together more or less as I had hoped.

But first a short intro to the pilot. F/Lt Andrew Boyd Ketterson of Montreal, KIA 4th of March 1944 while taking part in Ramrod 623.  Ramrod - Short range bomber attacks to destroy ground targets, similar to Circus attacks. The internet provides access to the RCAF Operational Record Books of various squadrons with key information. His aircraft on that day, Spitfire IXc MJ306 and was taken on by 412 squadron in November 1943 making this a later build IX. F/Lt Ketterson flew this aircraft most frequently since it's arrival to the squadron and had "HOT-BOX" painted on the forward panel.

RQM6N9n.jpg

A wise modeller was quoted once as "Research, time well spent". And this fits the bill. Most internet uses of an edited version of the following picture of Ketterson state the aircraft as MJ306 VZ*K, including Robert Bracken's book, Spitfire-the Canadians. But the un-cropped version of the image clearly shows the individual aircraft code is not a K but looks to be an M.

Tzf62ZE.jpg

The usual cockpit prepping with a few extras applied, including the Snapshot Barracuda IX cockpit upgrade and some fine beading wire added.

KKl4Qpo.jpg

i7OpYco.jpg

cTv7M57.jpg

Tamiya cockpit green with shadowing and highlighting.

K3Cwfwc.jpg

plHU0Lg.jpg

VcWqZW8.jpg

isYY1x5.jpg

Trying a technique to simulate the sheathing applied to the propeller blades. Taping off where the sheathing was attached and painting on a heavy coast of Vallejo Model Color paint, color choice not important, just shown for contrast. Painted and weathered with the usual colours and hopefully showing evidence of where the sheathing was positioned. Yes it may not be in scale but shown for effect.

MOyYr8i.jpg

PVzTmip.jpg?1

Ultracast exhaust and one piece upper cowling used. Thinned Vallejo "Buff" used for the lighter colour of the exhaust staining.

x6LGDMa.jpg

Bare Metal Foil used on the wing root before painting and my attempt at chipped and eroded paint work. Wing walkway stripes masked off and painted on to give a diminished look.

ERjrUgM.jpg

0uMEfFn.jpg

Wing roundel painted on using Tamiya Masking Sticker and Olfa circle cutter. Small touch ups applied after to show field maintenance.

DRJZ0zT.jpg

New aircraft codes cut and airbrushed.

UWStYGA.jpg

Exhaust staining.

xL7iVPF.jpg

Work continues and a few more weeks the final reveal will be ready.

Thank you for looking in.

Craig.

• Like 21

On 10/25/2020 at 3:06 AM, Biggles87 said:

I might steal that idea from you if I may.

On 10/25/2020 at 4:02 AM, bigbadbadge said:

Me too

On 10/25/2020 at 5:03 AM, mark.au said:

I’m going to try the prop sheathing this on my current spitfire project.

Thank you for the comments and by all means try my technique. Barely noticeable but adds that extra touch when looking at the all the details.

Panel line detailing and weathering almost complete so it's coming together sooner than later.

Thank you for checking in.

Craig

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

great work,Baldwin8

I can indeed certifie that  Kettersons spitfire was VZM at the time of the crash

The M was painted on the previously painted K.

I know it because I am the lucky posessor of the wreckage😃

My plan is to make a monument  with parts of the plane in the village where he crashed and invite the family and the ambassador of Canada in  Belgium

Gummilippe

• Like 2

• 7 months later...
On 25/05/2021 at 14:28, gummilippe said:

great work,Baldwin8

I can indeed certifie that  Kettersons spitfire was VZM at the time of the crash

The M was painted on the previously painted K.

I know it because I am the lucky posessor of the wreckage😃

My plan is to make a monument  with parts of the plane in the village where he crashed and invite the family and the ambassador of Canada in  Belgium

Gummilippe

Nice work on the Hot Box model. Very realistic. The MJ306 was first coded VZ-K and  then VZ-M (see post Gummilippe)
I'm writing the story of the pilot (in coorperation of Gummilippe and the pilot's family).
After some intensive research I found that F/Lt Ketterson was flying the MJ306 / VZ-K from Nov43 to mid Feb44 

The M was painted over the K when the pilot was transfered form "A" to "B"flight. The paint must have been still wet when he crashed few days later...
Ciao

• Like 1

@Baldwin8: I will keep you informed.
I'm in touch with the family of the 'rigger' of the Hot Box.  I hope they can find images.

'Hot Box' painted on the plane: is that a known font ?  

ciao

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

a Spitfire Memorial Stone made by the CWGC and a info pannel will be inaugurated  august 24th 2024  ;

A book about the crash, life of the pilot, the restauration project of MJ306 in Biggin Hill and a lot of unknown pictures about the trip of Squadron 412from England to Germany is coming out this year

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, gummilippe said:

a Spitfire Memorial Stone made by the CWGC and a info pannel will be inaugurated  august 24th 2024  ;

A book about the crash, life of the pilot, the restauration project of MJ306 in Biggin Hill and a lot of unknown pictures about the trip of Squadron 412from England to Germany is coming out this year

I would be interested in the details of this book. Please drop me a message when I is published.

Thank you.

Craig