Revell 1/48 Sikorsky CH-53G

Filler

I started this in the recent Helicopter group-build but in keeping with GB tradition I didn’t complete it in the time frame. After not touching it for nearly two months I’m going to see if I can get going again.

Here’s what has happened so far:

Basically, I’ve scratched the ribbing at the rear, cut out the crew access door, scratched a new rear wall of the cockpit, scratched a pilot and co-pilot seats, replaced the cargo floor with a thinner non-wavy one and a few other small bits and bobs. And since the last GB post I did get a bit of paint on the interior.

The next two tasks are to get the sound proof padding on the cargo hold walls and attempt to scratch the troop seats.

This is how things stand right now

9-E3-E426-C-928-A-4531-8-CC3-A53-F1-DFD5

• Like 7

First efforts on the troop seats this evening. I tried to get some measurements from the seats provided in the Revell Chinook kit (which wasn’t easy as I decided not to open the bags the sprues are in.

Two sizes of Evergeen rod and some 10mm Tamiya tape created this.

D12-E389-B-FE49-4974-8-E19-49-B69930-AC4

CFFEDA69-0125-4268-B4-BA-752961-CC5-C4-D

Hopefully with some paint and hidden inside the cargo hold they will look the part. Need to make a few more now.

• Like 2

I’ve knocked together pairs of 4 and 5 seaters and a pair of 3 seaters in the stowed position at the rear. A couple more individual stowed seats to do and another four seater for opposite the crew door - then paint.

A6-B7-F0-C1-75-C5-4-B5-E-9-D22-1-BB8-A03

The side pictured is not too worrying, but the opposite side will be challenging. I’m thinking a bit ‘ship in a bottle’. And from dry fitting, I’ve learnt the two halves will need wrestling together, so that will be challenging with all this fragile stuff inside. Really enjoying this build again now. The break did me good.

• Like 7

I must addmot getting the left side onto my Chinook was, 'interesting'. Lots of long rods prodding and wiggling through the opposite cabin door.

Use plenty of clamps to assist when wiggling and glueing.

I have no doubt you will make it work, coming along nicely.

• Thanks 1

Hi Filler (?)

That looks good,I will be watching with interest how you progress ith this. The model is rather large and empty isn't it ? 

I got a present of one of these from a friend last year and want to do a Pave Low; However I will have to do it the old fashioned way as I  have no resin sets but do have some drawing form an very old copy Military Scale Modeller. 

regards 

Brian 

• Like 1

Hi Brian. If leaving the various openings open with this kit, it certainly does leave the modeller with a lot to do! Fortunately, despite its cavernous cargo hold, it still won’t be especially easy to see inside easily, so there’s no need to add a lot of detail unless you want to.

I imagine doing a Pave Low will require a bit more effort than what I’m doing. It’s a pity there isn’t a readily available detail set for it though, especially as the kit is easy to get and has just been released yet again for a mere £22! Good news though is that Caracal have a Pave Low decal set amongst their coming soon items. Are you planing a Woodbridge based one?

Regards

Phil

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Filler said:

I imagine doing a Pave Low will require a bit more effort than what I’m doing. It’s a pity there isn’t a readily available detail set for it though, especially as the kit is easy to get and has just been released yet again for a mere £22! Good news though is that Caracal have a Pave Low decal set amongst their coming soon items. Are you planing a Woodbridge based one?

This is brilliant news, I've been after one for ages but they were always at least £60 on ebay! Not sure how much work it would take to make it into a mid-80s 67 ARRS MH-53 though. Probably one of those conversions that seems simple til someone comes on here and says something like the fuselage needs stretching or similar things beyond my capability! 😂

• Like 1

The MH-53 is a really tricky one and it’s too much for me to have persevered with researching.

As far as I could tell, the Revell kit includes parts for the HH-53 as early boxing’s included USAF decals, and this gives you the intake filters, the gas tanks and then refuelling probe. But to progress to MH-53 Pave Low II you’re still short of all those lumps and bumps and decals.

Lone Star Models did/do a set for the MH-53J Pave Low III. No idea how they differ from the earlier model and although Caracal are to issue decals, I don’t recall that they’d announced the specific options yet.

Even if everything was available, I certainly can’t see me building one though as this HEER one is more than enough CH-53 for me!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/30/2020 at 4:09 PM, Filler said:

Hi Brian. If leaving the various openings open with this kit, it certainly does leave the modeller with a lot to do! Fortunately, despite its cavernous cargo hold, it still won’t be especially easy to see inside easily, so there’s no need to add a lot of detail unless you want to.

Regards

Phil

Hi Phil

Sorry I haven't answered sooner ....busy busy busy

As to your questions re; Woodbridge I haven't decided which one to do yet but will probably go with the  Euro 1  colour scheme (which is probably a Woodbridge one?)