1/48 Accurate Miniatures P-51A Mustang 36077

At Sea

When I am away at sea I often bring a modelling project with me to work on, The last few spitfires I have shown are the fruits of this.

I am however rather restricted to the amount of kit I have available and things like air-brushing etc are just not happening, so I usually build the aircraft up to the point where it is an assembled fuselage & wings and then finish the rest at home.

This is my 'tool box'.  Humbrol aerosol Light Olive as my generic 'cockpit colour'.

d69d6449-b4dc-4059-a6f8-3e9cccfd13ba.jpe

This trip my project is a P-51.  I initially wanted to build AG345 as I always though the Allison Mustangs looked very smart in the green & brown RAF scheme.  However I have the wrong P-51 for this as AG345 has the under nose mounted guns.  

Then opening the box I found this:

resized_81881dfe-027c-43bd-b949-04d8637d

00e04248-41f3-49a9-a3da-fe6381f1e30d.jpe

And being a sentimental kind of guy figured that as AM don't exist anymore, and it's a 'First Edition' I should build it in it's intended scheme.

Not being a 'heavy weatherer' I will build it as a 'clean' build but will try some new techniques when I get home as the SEA conditions were very hard on aircraft.  

It still won't be the full 'Burma campaign look'.  I may even leave off the kill markings and keep it cleanly delivered.  

Looking forward to this as have never built an AM kit but heard good things, also have looked as some of the stunning work produced by others on here on the AM Mustangs and Apaches and their ICM descendants.

resized_0e6fb168-59fc-467c-9482-b7a35826

• Like 5

So I've made a start!

Last couple of weeks I built an Eduard Spitfire Mk.1 and had some bits left over.

So I added some ephemera to the Mustang cockpit and used some spare fuselage framing to give the internal structure some detail.

Will look okay through the 'glass' I reckon.  The dark grey plastic is Eduard's.

resized_c33a5d6d-a49a-41ad-9fb7-1a8dd31c

resized_6eb37000-c8df-4836-a01e-f7cbabe5

• Like 5

Got some paint on the insides.  Not having Zinc Chromate I used my Light Olive spray, dry brushed some Humbrol 90 Sky over it and then some Tamiya Aluminium.

I used some spare bits of seat belt etch on an old fret as the Sutton harness I brought with me would be wrong for a US aircraft.

Please so far, should pass muster through the canopy.

I have ordered some Zinc Chromate for the wheel bays etc when I get home.

resized_e0a01902-c167-44ef-883d-d50b7a67

resized_098fdfb4-ae3c-4a6e-be1b-e4057c65

resized_6ade243f-1163-4e91-9dee-e72cec94

That ejector pin mark is annoying, I have since moved a lap belt to cover it.

• Like 3

A few of our model club members had a brief discussion on American interior colours recently and it was mentioned that the final shade was often reached by mixing black with yellow Zinc Chromate.  The conclusion was that there would be differences between every batch but generally "somewhere near" the official colour (and sometimes not so near).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, stever219 said:

A few of our model club members had a brief discussion on American interior colours recently and it was mentioned that the final shade was often reached by mixing black with yellow Zinc Chromate.  The conclusion was that there would be differences between every batch but generally "somewhere near" the official colour (and sometimes not so near).

That's interesting, good to know and now my official excuse!  

• Thanks 1

Hi CC.

Was going to be RAF dark earth / dark green with just roundels as AG345.

But it’s going to be the box top scheme of Capt. J.J. England’s No.75 of the 311th Fighter Group, 530th Squadron, Burma 1944.

I’m going to play with some airbrushing techniques as it’s a mono-colour scheme. 

• Like 1

Good, one !

Now if you want some .50, I can help.

But the wing armanent is quite different too

It mean some engraving to do.

I think that the differents scheme are on my Mustang Thread !

I'm doing The Mustang Mk I of Hollis Hills, the first Mustang to bag an victory...

Sincerely.

CC

Yup here it is

Coming along nicely.  Don't forget the armor plate behind the seat.  Built the A-36 in the Mustang GB.  They are nice little kit.  Really didn't think I likes OD mustangs, but after that I'm kinda digging them.

• Like 1

Wings on.  

It's defiantly not an Eduard kit, but nothing a little filler and a swipe with my old friend Sandy Stick won't sort out!

This is as far as I'm going on-board.  It'll have to be packed in bubble wrap and safely transported home to be finished.

Will update later.

resized_792a1ba5-5748-4f28-8c60-fae5bceb

resized_581f6c39-af45-422a-8e65-c80152d2

resized_97619910-ddee-4f52-ae8c-226a85c5

resized_22b302b7-f0fb-4266-bf6a-c3c92f95

• Like 3

On 10/25/2020 at 9:41 AM, stever219 said:

the final shade was often reached by mixing black with yellow Zinc Chromate.

In fact, that is exactly how  tinted ZC was mixed during the war. We had a discussion on this a while back and @Dana Bell gave the proportion of lamp/carbon black to be added to the chromate primer; as this was always a mixed color, there was quite a lot of variation in the paint possible. You can also find some topic discussions on the interior and wheel bays of the Allison Mustangs that will be very helpful. IIRC, the wing spar that formed the back wall of the wheel bay was zinc chromate yellow, and the wheel bays and interior surfaces of the gear doors were painted aluminum. 

Mike

• Thanks 2

• 5 weeks later...

Sorry it's been so long since an update, I went home on leave and there are distractions there!

I did the sanding stick and filler thing, then painted it using Humbrol 64 Light grey, then patchily airbrused US Olive Drab over Light Olive to give some tonal variation.  I then used the brilliant Mig Ammo Oil Brusher steel to highlight opening panels and Starship filth to add some exhaust and oil stains.

The decals decided to completely destroy themselves on contact with water, so I salvaged the codes, but used an Eduard US insignia and stencils for the P-51D to complete it.

Happy with it a a representation od an Allison Mustang, and will build another as I think these AM kits are great for their age.

resized_d2600fa5-40ad-4e03-9bf7-2f21fac1

• Like 3