Sweden's trainer replacement

Slater

I wonder if this is all quite deliberate.

If the specification was less specific, it's very possible they would have ended up with bids in the form of; Hawk, AlphaJet, M-346, etc.

By creating a very detailed specification, and therefore receiving no bids, it makes it much easier to then allow Saab to bid on it as a sole bidder and award the contract to them (with fewer questions regarding legality/fair competition).

Although I wonder why the Boeing/Saab T-7 isn't an option (other than being yet in production!). 

The detailed requirement is no  surprise. Air forces tend to want to buy a training 'system' these days. Including simulators and support.

It isn't clear to me whether they were looking for a primary trainer or advanced trainer or both. The Boeing/Saab T7 is an advanced trainer. But the old Saab 105 was used as a primary trainer like the Jet Provost. 

So were they were looking for something in the PC9/Texan range which can be primary or advanced?

If they were to acquire the T7, they'd still need something for primary training.

6 minutes ago, noelh said:

It isn't clear to me whether they were looking for a primary trainer or advanced trainer or both. The Boeing/Saab T7 is an advanced trainer. But the old Saab 105 was used as a primary trainer like the Jet Provost. 

So were they were looking for something in the PC9/Texan range which can be primary or advanced?

I had assumed they were looking for an advanced trainer, but now you raised this point, I'm quite unsure!

I found out about this company whilst at university, in fact, I attended a lecture by someone working with the team

https://aeralis.com/

The system they have proposed is, in my opinion, a very clever and simple solution to the requirements of modern military flight training - It will be interesting to see where this goes.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

Are they anything more than a group of wishful thinkers?  Do they have the financial and industrial backing for a 30 year programme?  Credibility in depth is something that established companies can bring - start-ups are likely doomed to fail.

I'm not sure and I've struggled to find much info on them to be honest. As usual with these startups, if it does succeed, it will quickly get swallowed up into a larger company - which would be good for both companies.

5 hours ago, Slater said:

I wonder if a propeller aircraft would meet requirements?

A quick Google reveals the Swedish are looking for a primary trainer. 

Almost certainly something along the lines of Tucano, PC9 etc. So yes propeller driven.

The Aeralis idea is a good one but they don't even have a prototype flying as far as I can tell. Not much use to Sweden. It's only a paper aeroplane at the moment or should that be a pixel aeroplane. 

On 29/10/2020 at 09:19, Truro Model Builder said:

Still, at least they can take a good hard look at our world-beating Military Flying Training System (MFTS) and see how NOT to do it.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry....

I know a few people stuck in training, one of them has been stuck for a few years now - a commissioned officer, doing an admin job...

The T6 II would surely fill the role - that said, there aren't many options T6, PC-9 or Tucano (only the first being properly up to date).

• Sad 1

• 3 months later...
On 26/10/2020 at 11:36, Graham Boak said:

Are they anything more than a group of wishful thinkers?  Do they have the financial and industrial backing for a 30 year programme?  Credibility in depth is something that established companies can bring - start-ups are likely doomed to fail.

Interestingly, the RAF has given backing for research and development of the Aeralis programme. 

https://www.aero-mag.com/aeralis-raf-modular-aircraft-18022021/#:~:text=Aeralis has agreed a three,and development of future aircraft.

• 1 month later...
On 26/10/2020 at 09:15, wellsprop said:

Although I wonder why the Boeing/Saab T-7 isn't an option (other than being yet in production!). 

From what I've heard it's rather too capable, and thus too expensive.