Question as to color scheme of B-34 Ventura bomber with Charles DeGaulle North Africa 1942

28ZComeback

Can anyone tell me the color scheme of this B-34 Ventura bomber converted as a VIP transport for Charles DeGaulle? On first impression I thought overall olive drab over neutral gray, but then considered the possibility of overall medium blue.   Also, its dated May, 1942.  Wasn’t Algeria controlled by Vichy forces at that time? Thank you for any comment. 

https://www.criticalpast.com/video/65675066946_Charles-De-Gaulle_Lockheed-B-34-Ventura-aircraft_aircraft-taxis_people-crowd-around-aircraft

Edited by 28ZComeback

The next film in the list was more from the same occasion and the date is given as May 30 1943 (which makes a lot more sense) and Bontarick Aerodrome in Algiers, Algeria.  I think it is standard Olive Drab over Neutral Grey.

By the way, it is an Lodestar transport, not a Ventura.

• Like 2

At least this one seems to be blue grey above or maybe even DSG (notice the OD on the dakota in the background), no wonder if one considers they had to fly over water, the undersides look like neutral grey indeed.

Notice they used the darker British roundel colors for the fin flash.

jZ01XTi.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here this appears to be the same AC as in the color photo above albeit supposedly at an earlier stage without the cross of Lorraine and yet no stripes on the wings

2G-GPA_Lockheed_C-56_c.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The top photo appears to be Dark Olive Drab - the stripes show it to be post D-Day whereas I suspect the earlier photo shows it considerably earlier.  So the standard British transport colours of Temperate Sea Scheme would be appropriate.  There does seem to be signs of a British camouflage pattern behind the port engine fairing.

• Like 1

I disagree.  It looks like fresh Dark OD.  The C-47 was notorious for having a wide range of different colours of OD, some of which were very light, even before fading, and at least two of these can be seen on the example in the photo.  Given that the dark appearance of the Lodestar compared with the other photo suggests a repaint, and the French postwar went to a very dark OD, or a khaki that is described as being very like OD, I have some confidence that this is what we are seeing here.

Any other colour would require some evidence of what it might be, not a "blue" out of thin air.