1/72 Airfix lynx HMA.8 CTS Development (Finished)

So, as you should know by now, i like my whirlydoos, the lynx being one (of many) at the top of the list and with that, i like prototype ones. 

I also like doing models of airframes that most people haven't seen being made in scale, or even seen in full size, whether that is over the internet or real life.

I bought this kit during lockdown, and i kinda knew what i was getting into with this kit (I like doing my research) I was orginally gonna do the oob scheme for the HMA.8, but after looking in a book, i decided to do XZ236, a HAS.2 which was made to develop the CTS equipment for the new and exiting variant of the lynx. I would like to do the other main MK.8 development airframes,  ZD249, and ZD267. There was more, but these are what i think are the main ones, named HAS.3CTS

The kit does have many flaws, one being fit and gaps, but it does have some details the newer Hobby boss kit doesn't have (although the engineering is miles ahead).

So i started work on it, quite a few sink holes if im honest, but nothing too hard to fix. XZ236 didn't have any sound proofing, and just had the framing on the inside, but i decided to be easy but inaccurate and added some sound proofing. The interior went together with little hassle. I also added the pilots as i am gonna have this on a stand (most of the time)

0f61b51c2c7e44c705fecafd5c5e486e.jpg6fa252a003b41a2b607212156e43a4ad.jpg0cda49387d87c6090f0351388f8b7492.jpg

The last picture you see is just held together with bluetack and masking tape. It is now mostly put together, but it is consuming as much filler as possible, it may be a mix of me and the kit, but it will get filled, eventually...

• Like 2

Having started my career at Normalair-Garrett, Westland's fine products are very close to my heart.  In turn, I really do appreciate it when we model the less well-known versions of airframes.  This looks great and I look forward to watching it develop.

Cheers,

Neil

• Like 1

3 hours ago, neilfergylee said:

Having started my career at Normalair-Garrett, Westland's fine products are very close to my heart.  In turn, I really do appreciate it when we model the less well-known versions of airframes.  This looks great and I look forward to watching it develop.

Thats the good thing about this hobby, you may make something that are very personal to someone, yet is just another 'thing' to another. Hopefully one day i will be working down at Leonardo, but i also would love to work for Historic Helicopters (The older they are the more interesting they are to me)

Thanks

• Like 1

Quick update on the lynx.... filler.... lots of filler...The nose has needed lots of filler, the sponsons has needed a reasonable amount of filler and the tail has needed some. The shape is really good for a lynx, but the exhausts. The exhaust are oval, and the exhaust cowling is the wrong shape. I'm not gonna worry about the oval exhausts, but the cowling is needing change. I have applied some milliput on the area (about an hour ago) which you will see in the photos, along with the nose that is still getting filled. 

6fdf3d247dec5093affb1e48d42f25d4.jpg4c9fdf34e0defbf7280213b69be9f7e8.jpg6fdf3d247dec5093affb1e48d42f25d4.jpg68455dd713edd4a05bfa20398547dc41.jpg

While i am reworking the necessary area, i am gonna start a Fujimi AV-8A, which i did start the other day but packed it away because i realised how much filler that will need, all be it simpler areas. Im also gonna paint a half built heron (literally, my cousin saw it and picked it up and i decided to only use one side as the other was missing major components ) in a custom scheme just to practice new techniques/techniques i haven't used in a while..

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I flew one of the other CTS development cabs, ZD268, shortly after it had been delivered to Portland and they were trying to expose the CTS capability to as wide a community of experienced Lynx Observers as possible to get our thoughts/input.  Sadly, the sortie didn't last for very long because 40 minutes in we lost Hydraulic 1 and the pilot put it down on the beach at Lyme Regis.  Unfortunately, whilst he did put it down on the harder sand below the high water mark to save sinking in the sand, he thought it was an ebb tide when in fact it was flooding and by the time a replacement pipe had been flown to us from Portland and fitted, the water was lapping at our main undercarriage!

Like the sound proofing.  What did you use?

Three observations if I may.  Are you portraying this as it was flown by the Test Pilots at Westlands or after it was handed over to 700 Sqn?  If the latter, the flying helmets were all green by that stage.  Secondly, I don't know about XZ236 but certainly ZD268 didn't have BERP blades when I flew it.  Finally if you're showing it on a stand airborne, the main wheels should be angled outwards (30 deg IIRC).  The Lynx didn't have any brakes, just wheel locks, and so although the main purpose of the wheels being able to be castored outwards was to facilitate it swivelling on deck to take off into the relative wind, they also performed a braking function ashore to effectively slow the aircraft down in the event of a running landing such as after an engine failure.

Any Lynx build is a good build in my opinion so will be following this with interest.

• Like 2

On 07/11/2020 at 09:28, Chewbacca said:

Three observations if I may.  Are you portraying this as it was flown by the Test Pilots at Westlands or after it was handed over to 700 Sqn?  If the latter, the flying helmets were all green by that stage.  Secondly, I don't know about XZ236 but certainly ZD268 didn't have BERP blades when I flew it.  Finally if you're showing it on a stand airborne, the main wheels should be angled outwards (30 deg IIRC).  The Lynx didn't have any brakes, just wheel locks, and so although the main purpose of the wheels being able to be castored outwards was to facilitate it swivelling on deck to take off into the relative wind, they also performed a braking function ashore to effectively slow the aircraft down in the event of a running landing such as after an engine failure.

Any Lynx build is a good build in my opinion so will be following this with interest.

Im not too worried about the helmets if I'm honest but thanks anyway ,I  will remember that. I have a picture of XZ236 with BERP blades while in flight along with when it was on the ground. I also know it had a 30 degree angle, but I am gonna worry about that near the end of the project. Thanks for the advice anyway

Edit: Actually i can't tell whether it had BERP or not wihle in flight, the picture is at a bit of a strange angle

Edit 2: The picture actually seems like it is straight (there is yellow danger stripes on the blades) Could they have been added later in the program or would have they changed the blades just for the airshow? Seen from 32:32

Edited by Westlandaircraftenthusiast

Anyway, I have fully built it (for now)

Not too much to say, i have done a bit of work to the engine cowling but nothing too much. Of course some tings are subject to chage at the moment. I hhave actually started to paint it blue but everything that would need changing can be changed easily.

330164edb0c4b760b1fb6aaf8c83d879.jpg8f63b88f468644d27561fa8e81b261f5.jpgf2d70f7e59e38a0f16ae07c3dbba031c.jpg

• Like 1

After a bit more digging i have found a slightly better picture of XZ236 and it does have straight blades. As it is the only picture of her flying that i have i will change it. I was hoping for it to have BERPs but i guess the straight blades make it more unique, its basically a HMA.8 with a HAS.2/3 Propulsion system.... Thanks for the info @Chewbacca

• Like 1

Painted up the lynx, Since then it is mostly decalled up.  I have changed the gear to be somewhat more accurate, but i have also broke off the PID while decalling so i am now using a  spare from a Hobbyboss one that built last year.

2695b75d2fbdc9cb1994679f7038fe8f.jpg42ad03983bff0034e463b4eec649df03.jpg5df71268431e86fb8848b6e6f4834b88.jpg

• Like 1

Is it possible if Someone could help me locate where the OrangeCrop ESM sensors are and the M.A.D sensors are? I believe the ESM sensors are the ones on the nose, sponsors and aft fuselage but i am unsure.

Thanks in advance

Update: I was correct about the ESM Sensors, was scrolling through a 1/72 lynx thread and found em, just the M.A.D now... maybe im going mad....

Edited by Westlandaircraftenthusiast

I have gone ahead and finished XZ236 (and started another lynx (it'll have a different  WIP)) 

Decals went down Ok, i used a mixture of the kits, Xtradecal and spares. While unmasking i did come across a few issues but i have done my best to resolve them. A couple of them has fogged slightly but oh well. 

53c8424814c3a7ad2fa28c382c35c852.jpgee793dc1068ebb6276be22b9fd034f01.jpgd2c707175c1356024bde13cda2108abe.jpg

• Like 3