Project PB001 - Soviet Navy Victor III Class (Project 671RTMK) SSN by Hobby Boss 1/350

So, inspired by the friendlyness of the forum I decided to try and start a build diary.

Now, dont get excited. Its a ship Im not really that interested in so the passion level wont be at full steam. However, its was a kit that I bought cheaply, it will enable me to pick up where I left off as a kid and will enable me to try out new skills, and polish old skills.

The plan is to build it to the highest level possible and see how it goes. It will use old skills, namely

Gluing parts together

Painting

It will use skills that I have but never used on this kind of model

Airbrushing

Basic shading ie panel line accents

And there are a few things Ive never done before

Used Photo etched part

wethering.

The kit was bought from Wish and it was very cheap although took an age to arrive. Not much to the kit. From what I can see its a new tool 2012 and ooking at it it looks a simple build possibly with the photo ech testing me the most

Here are some pics. Now I apologise for the orientation, these were all taken n my phone, the only method Ill use to take pics for the web.

596d955572dcbbbd30546c1d005820f2.jpgacc90f2ded681fc585fbc5642ed8c3a2.jpg032450f4ceb677f24ef490f01ce27e15.jpg3ea6ba14326883d8f292165d395ebb13.jpgfab70ab1e7e8710fc73c2fa2e125334c.jpgdea7caef297098f1d6f5552f73ea483b.jpg17576dd80c95cfad4a13a6dfa172e608.jpg

So, instructions look easy enough to follow, decals minimul but you have to expect that from a ship and it looks easy enough to crack on with.

So, critique welcome and that includes both the kit building and the way Ive presented the post to you

• Like 2

OK, quick look at the kit and a little play. Literally a little play as Im only just up and I have quite a bit of stuff to do before work (Late shift)

So, put the stand together. I used superglue as I thought this might work better with less mess. There is a gap at the posts but Im confident I can take care of this gap with gloss varnish as a filler. 

c3a741c1ad9f8726d2576c2f523a85cb.jpg

Then a dry fit of the hull (Is it called a hull on a sub)

I can see that Ill have to glue it at the back then work my way across rather than glue the whole thing in one go. Having a hole at the back for the propeller will be handy as this means Ill be able to pop in a cocktail stick to hold on to when painting to paint.

The main area of concern for me is the detail around the middle. Ill sand out that seam line and I may accidently sand out some of that detail meaning Ill have to rescribe lines, a skill Ive never used before

5d99b9a4eccd1d644f4c3bad4ff62cb5.jpg 

Thats it for this update. Dont know when the next one will be, sorry.

• Like 3

Welcome aboard Penny. Always nice to see a sub build albeit relatively easy to build, it normally comes down to the detail and painting.

As a suggestion, for future updates, it'll be better to post pics in the landscape orientation.

Stuart

• Like 1

A little bit of progress. My first attempt at photo etch and its very very very small :)

Glued the hull together and I can see that Im going to have to do a lot of work on sanding the seam line. Added very fine sand paper to shopping list.

The Sail was slightly too large, which is fine by me. Id rather have it too big and have to sand it rather than too small and have a gap. So, after gentle sanding its now a tight fit. Its not glued yet and I think Ill glue it once I finish the PE work.

This is about 2 hours work most of which is coming from the PE and the fact that the instructions have so much info on it thats it quite hard to understand, hence I really have to take my time

391085e3fb016a812aa6dc1c60352210.jpg

481a856e06fa06f751c9ee7ecb11bf03.jpg6875652d33ceebe5cc244ba0bc187166.jpg

5d99b9a4eccd1d644f4c3bad4ff62cb5.jpg

• Like 4

I'm starting my first build soon. Also a submarine. I've placed the upper and lower hull parts together and noticed that the port and starboard bow have an edge that doesn't quite marry up.

I'll have to sand it back and hope it doesn't erase some markings. What grade is best for sanding a smooth finish once the edge is corrected?

31 minutes ago, Aurange said:

I'm starting my first build soon. Also a submarine. I've placed the upper and lower hull parts together and noticed that the port and starboard bow have an edge that doesn't quite marry up.

I'll have to sand it back and hope it doesn't erase some markings. What grade is best for sanding a smooth finish once the edge is corrected?

If I was you I would scribe the engraved detail slightly deeper so when you sand you won't lose any of the detail. Also keep having a check while you're sanding and rescribe if necessary. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Roger Newsome said:

If I was you I would scribe the engraved detail slightly deeper so when you sand you won't lose any of the detail. Also keep having a check while you're sanding and rescribe if necessary. 

i cant believe I didnt think of that. This is one of those ideas that so simple its actually almost daft.

I was actually going to sand and then rescribe, but now Im going to scribe and sand. Thank you so much for this.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Pennys Pitstop said:

i cant believe I didnt think of that. This is one of those ideas that so simple its actually almost daft.

I was actually going to sand and then rescribe, but now Im going to scribe and sand. Thank you so much for this.

You're welcome. I can't remember where I saw it but can remember thinking that's clever why didn't I think of that! 😆